USA
✟29,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I lost both my parents at a young age. I seem I can never accept the fact that they are gone. Now matter how many years ago it was. Dad died in 2005 and Mom in 2008. Is there any phrases in the bible to read about grieving? I'm just starting to learn about the bible and christianity so I would like to know. Please help. Thank you.

• Prayers
Reactions: St_Worm2

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I lost both my parents at a young age. I seem I can never accept the fact that they are gone. Now matter how many years ago it was. Dad died in 2005 and Mom in 2008. Is there any phrases in the bible to read about grieving? I'm just starting to learn about the bible and christianity so I would like to know. Please help. Thank you.
God is a "Father to the Fatherless". (Psalm 68:5) We can pray and He will open our eyes to all the times He has been there for us and we did not realize what He was doing. His promise is that He will never abandon us or forsake us. (Hebrew 13:5) God can go back in our past and minister to us there at our time of need. This healing has a impact on what we are going through today.

Reactions: Aquatic Waves
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi, thank you for asking the question. There are some instances in the Old Testament that may help. In 2 Samuel Chapter 12, King David is confronted with his sins of murder and adultery. The child of that relationship passed away shortly after he was born. David surprised his officials and servants with his response:

22 David said, “While the baby was still alive, I fasted, and I cried. I thought, ‘Who knows? Maybe the Lord will feel sorry for me and let the baby live.’ 23 But now that the baby is dead, why should I fast? I can’t bring him back to life. Someday I will go to him, but he cannot come back to me.”

Grieving and not accepting reality, especially after several years, is pointless. Instead, ask God to comfort you: (2 Corinthians 1:3-7)

3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ. 6But if we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; or if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is effective in the patient enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer; 7and our hope for you is firmly grounded, knowing that as you are sharers of our sufferings, so also you are sharers of our comfort.

Ask God to heal the inner wounds that you've suffered. The wounds are real enough. Just saying,"Get over it" won't help either. Let God set you free. All you have to do is ask Him.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Aquatic Waves, I'm sorry to hear that you are still struggling so with the death of your parents (I have lost both of mine too, about the same time you lost yours actually .. and I miss them, and it still hurts to think about them and to know that they are gone :().

I try to remember that just like our children are actually the Lord's, not ours (He just gives us the privilege, honor and joy of knowing them and helping to raise them), so our parents belong to Him too. So talk to Him about them, and about your strong feelings that remain for them, even today. You could also tell Him that you don't understand why you still feel such loss concerning them after all of these years and ask Him for His help (to perhaps finally see you past most of this pain .. "Cast all of your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you" .. 1 Peter 5:7).

Blessings to you in Christ,
David
p.s. - it's strange, but sometimes we find the answers we are looking for in the questions that we ask, especially the ones that we ask Him. So keep on praying and keep on asking. There are things that we may never know during the course of our lives here, but we know that He is always there for us, and He is often the very answer that we were looking for all along (I know that may sound a little strange, but I believe you will find that it is also true :)).

Psalm 34
18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

quote-in-all-states-of-dilemma-or-of-difficulty-prayer-is-an-available-source-the-ship-of-charles-spurgeon-54-55-46.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello again @Aquatic Waves, I've always loved this portion of Scripture, especially v's 22-23, so I thought I would share it with you :)

Lamentations 3
19 Remember my affliction and my wandering, the wormwood and bitterness.
20 Surely my soul remembers and is bowed down within me.
21 This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope.
22 The LORD’S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, f
or His compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning; Great is Thy faithfulness.
24 “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I have hope* in Him.”
25 The LORD is good to those who wait* for Him, t
o the person who seeks Him.

*(see too Isaiah 40:31)
--David

Restlessness and impatience change nothing except our peace and joy. Peace does not dwell in outward things, but in the heart prepared to wait trustfully and quietly on Him who has all things safely in His hands. ~Missionary Elisabeth Elliot

Philippians 4:4-8

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Here's a resource that comes in handy when searching the Lords Word about something specific ... the link provided addresses grieving/sorrow

What Does the Bible Say About Grief And Sorrow?

May the Lord bring you peace to your heart. Amen.

Upvote 0