Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m in a discussion on fb with someone who was bashing the Bible and I said it is a wise and profound book. He replied something like this: “What part? Rape? Incest? Genocide?“ and he said that the Bible “just regurgitates beliefs and tenants from other religions.” How do I respond to that? And is the Bible stories copied from other religions?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’m in a discussion on fb with someone who was bashing the Bible and I said it is a wise and profound book. He replied something like this: “What part? Rape? Incest? Genocide?“ and he said that the Bible “just regurgitates beliefs and tenants from other religions.” How do I respond to that? And is the Bible stories copied from other religions?

In short, no, the bible stories are not copied from other religions. The flood story can be found in any number of societies but that's about it. Ask your Facebook friend to name any history book that does not contain stories of atrocities.

Beyond that, try to stay away from people like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Just get the answers that satisfy you or that you need, and then just move on, or tell them to "have a nice day/life" after that, because you're never going to convert anyone like that, etc, and it's a huge waste of time unless there are some answers that you are wanting or are needing out of it, etc.

And for those, I would come on here long before going on FB, etc. FB is garbage for things like that, etc, just come on here and ask any one of us your questions instead, etc.

And with that, you may feel free to PM me, or start a private conversation with me at any time, ok, and I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have, ok.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
To answer this question though, no, the Bible is not copied from other religions, and most of the time, it predates those other religions, so how can it then be copied from them, etc. And most of the time, when you find similar ideas or philosophies, etc, it is mostly only because these are pretty universal, and can all be discerned naturally, etc. For example love is this way, etc, and also hate and fear, etc.

And as for your next questions, in the OT God never commanded rape, or incest, but it just only sometimes records these things happening sometimes, but are never ever painted in a positive light in the OT ever, etc. And as for the killing of whole groups of people, yes, this was sometimes commanded by God for the Israelites to do in the OT, but in order to understand why God in the OT did that, you must understand His reasons or motivations behind it, etc. And that was to take us back to the original plan before the fall of Adam and Eve, or it was to Remake or reshape or reform the world back into a world that would be completely free of all sin or evil again, and that would stand until the end of the rest of this time after that again, etc, and those were the reasons for or behind those, or behind that, etc.

God Bless.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟10,241.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
some people do not deserve an answer, there is no point arguing with some people same on any christian forums. it is due to ignorance, people who think they own the truth, many peoples in the old testament were worshipping false Gods, sacrificing their children to Moloch by fire ( still happening today) . these are the peoples cursed by GOD that Israel battled against, they were evil to the core ( sodom ect...) they had to be destroyed, Remember GOD is HOLY and wants us to be HOLY.

What is in the bible was not copied from other religions or myths the reverse is true many myths come from the bible. I searched for this myself many many years ago, i heard these things also. I assure you it is all false.

Also I know FB is to be avoided at all cost, nothing good can come from there.

Blessings.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
" I'm sorry your hardened heart has caused you to not know the peace and love that awaits you from our creator ". Blessings.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The Bible speaks against rape, incest, and genocide, though even if it were the case that it promoted those things, then that wouldn't negate the fact that it contains things that are wise and profound. In Genesis 4:7, God told Cain that sin was crouching at the door and that he must master it, which implies that he already knew what sin is and must have been given instructions in that regard. So it should be of no surprise if things that were taught to Cain were also found to be taught in other cultures as humanity spread out. Moreover, there is no requirement that the things that Jesus taught needed to be new or unique, and in fact everything he taught was rooted in the OT. In regard to the debate between the houses of Hillel and Shammai, Jesus was virtually in complete agreement with the house of Hillel, which was the grandfather of Gamaliel, who was Paul's rabbi. Likewise, it is not as if the principle of treating others the way that we want to be treated needs to be unique to Christianity. The authors of the Bible also engaged the culture by taking stories that the people were familiar with and using them to teach the truth of how things really are.

With the issue of copying, it is not enough for two things to have a few element in common in order to establish copying. For example, if a teacher were to have their class write essays that argued for or against the death penalty, then many of them would use some of the same arguments, but that would not establish that they copied from each other. Likewise, stories from two cultures have a stories even striking similarities, but those cultures never interacted with each other, then it is not a case copying. Moreover, a story that is found in multiple cultures can have a common source. Stories universally tend to become more embellished over time rather than less embellished, so a more embellished story is more likely to be copied from a less embellished story even if we have earlier manuscripts of the more embellished story.

Most of the accusations of Christianity copying from other religions that are circulating the internet do not cite their sources. For example, there are lists that show simulates between Jesus and Horus, but they don't their sources, and if you look up what an actual ancient historian had to say about Horus, such as Plutarch, then then you will see that they had nothing in common and that the list of similarities was made up full cloth.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

The Bible claims to record the history of God's People.

The real question is whether this is true, or not.

That God's people would be very much like other human beings,
is to be expected.

No one should expect events in the history of God's people, to be
completely unlike the events in the lives of people, who were not
God's people.

What does the argument that "God's People are human beings,
living in the midst of other human beings" prove or disprove???

Upvote 0