Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm surprised no one has started a thread on this story.

The story is shocking on its face: a Phoenix man sentenced to 60 days in prison for holding Bible studies in his home for family and friends.

But Phoenix prosecutors, neighbors and a handful of judges have all agreed that the services he held were not just for family and friends -- they were for dozens of congregants at the Harvest Christian Community Church, and his sentence had nothing to do with what was going on inside the building. However, it had everything to do with the size of the structure and its lack of exit signs, fire sprinklers and doors.
I feel this doesn't have much to do with Freedom of Religion, rather it is about zoning laws and public safety; particularly since the city has been working with him for five years to resolve these issues. Though, naturally, if you look at some Christian news sites, they present a very condensed article making it appear he is jailed simply for holding Bible study groups with friends. What are your thoughts?

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The fool is violating a zoning ordinance because he's too cheap Z(along with his troupe) to rent space. I get disgusted about Christians that feel they can ignore rules and hide behind "Religious Freedom" and claim "persecution".:mad:

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

This is typical of the so called "Christian media". The guy was jailed for snubbing his nose at very reasonable zoning ordinances. He was trying to run a church out of his home under the guide of a home Bible Study, so that he could effectively ignore zoning requirements. Christians should be criticizing this guy for his poor witness, not applauding him as some sort of martyr.

Upvote 0

ranunculus

Aug 21, 2008
✟271,230.00
Country
Luxembourg
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
H8rTa.png

Matthew 5:11-12

New International Version (NIV)

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
I came upon this verse. Is this the fuel for the martyr complex some christians have? If so, why would they be mad? After all it does say great is your reward in heaven. Shouldn't they be thankful instead of angry?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is typical of the so called "Christian media". The guy was jailed for snubbing his nose at very reasonable zoning ordinances. He was trying to run a church out of his home under the guide of a home Bible Study, so that he could effectively ignore zoning requirements. Christians should be criticizing this guy for his poor witness, not applauding him as some sort of martyr.

Well said.

I've known of and attended many Bible studies, including some that were large enough that they could be an annoyance to others in the area (15-20 people each week in areas with parking problems). Never heard of even a complaint, let alone formal action.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see any religious persecution here but I think zoning ordinances are oppressive and intrusive and should be done away with when they go beyond protecting the welfare of the neighborhood and become an excuse to impose a group's standards of taste or propriety upon an individual landowner. Basically, let a person do what that person wants to do on their own property unless it endangers the health and well being of those that own property around him/her.I'm about to make a sarcastic joke so don't take it seriously. Exit signs should be optional if one is too stupid to find an exit without a sign, really, how valuable are they to society? If one needs to be warned of a sarcastic joke in advance.......

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see any religious persecution here but I think zoning ordinances are oppressive and intrusive and should be done away with when they go beyond protecting the welfare of the neighborhood and become an excuse to impose a group's standards of taste or propriety upon an individual landowner. Basically, let a person do what that person wants to do on their own property unless it endangers the health and well being of those that own property around him/her.

I tend to agree, until there are 100 cars double parked on the block and connecting streets and the fire truck is honking that SCARY horn of theirs and can't get anyone to get of their way ...

But...while zoning laws exist you gotta live with them - work around them, people get variances all the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The existing house is approved as a church based on tax laws, zoning laws and building laws are an entirely different matter and they weren't supposed to use their addition as a church.

The city’s conflict with Salman began even before he and his wife decided to build the game room onto their home, when concerns about the use of the property were beginning to emerge. Salman’s addition was approved by the city with the caveat that the property not house a business or church, among other uses.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I get disgusted about Christians that feel they can ignore rules and hide behind "Religious Freedom" and claim "persecution".:mad:

Evidently in the US persecution is anytime that Christians do not get special accommodations.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I came upon this verse. Is this the fuel for the martyr complex some christians have? If so, why would they be mad? After all it does say great is your reward in heaven. Shouldn't they be thankful instead of angry?

I think you are right. It should at least give hope. Whining about every single little 'persecution' (i.e. war on Christmas) makes us look like fools. Christ came to bring a sword (division) that he said would pit you against your own family, possibly.

To find out what real persecution is, check out voice of martyrs at some of the things that happen to people in middle eastern countries.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Actually, there are already two threads started on this topic.

Could you point me to them? I know there were threads on a different case involving Bible Study (I believe it was San Diego) but I didn't see one about the Phoenix case, at least since he has been jailed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0