Pew rents

Do you think pew rents are a good thing?

• Yes

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Other (state any other position please)

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably one of the greatest endemic flaws to American Christianity is the fundamental belief that if people throw money at the church, all will be well. Hire a pastor and expect him to live the Christian life for you and write generous checks. Regularly attend the Sunday morning services and, if you are really spiritual, you might also get engaged in the music ministry. God will smile on you. You will prosper and your church will flourish.
Sadly that is a truth in more than one way. One of my biggest gripes is that so often in my experience the aim is to get people into the church for Sunday meeting and the only preaching of the gospel seems to either be from the pulpit or to random strangers on the street. Pastors are supposed to equip the saints so that they may do the work of ministry, not be the ones doing the work of ministry exclusively.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,652.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Sadly that is a truth in more than one way. One of my biggest gripes is that so often in my experience the aim is to get people into the church for Sunday meeting and the only preaching of the gospel seems to either be from the pulpit or to random strangers on the street. Pastors are supposed to equip the saints so that they may do the work of ministry, not be the ones doing the work of ministry exclusively.

Sadly, many pastors have done all they can humanly do to equip their flock and the sheep are fully capable of doing the work of ministry - but are deeply committed to the concept that their role is not to infringe on the divine prerogatives of the pastor to fulfill his ministry (which in their view encompasses doing all of God's work for God's people in the local church).

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, many pastors have done all they can humanly do to equip their flock and the sheep are fully capable of doing the work of ministry - but are deeply committed to the concept that their role is not to infringe on the divine prerogatives of the pastor to fulfill his ministry (which in their view encompasses doing all of God's work for God's people in the local church).
Part of equipping the saints is instilling missional focus, if the congregation doesn't understand that the task of preaching the gospel is on their shoulders they have not been equipped. Too often there is a focus on "Invite a friend to church so they can hear the good news." rather than "While you are going make disciples of the nations."

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,652.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Part of equipping the saints is instilling missional focus, if the congregation doesn't understand that the task of preaching the gospel is on their shoulders they have not been equipped. Too often there is a focus on "Invite a friend to church so they can hear the good news." rather than "While you are going make disciples of the nations."

Quite true, and far too many pastors retain their positions because they relegate the "laymen" into merely inviting their "unchurched" friends to church.

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
ZH
✟70,439.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Probably one of the greatest endemic flaws to American Christianity is the fundamental belief that if people throw money at the church, all will be well. Hire a pastor and expect him to live the Christian life for you and write generous checks. Regularly attend the Sunday morning services and, if you are really spiritual, you might also get engaged in the music ministry. God will smile on you. You will prosper and your church will flourish.

Yes, I understand what you're saying - I'm not American and usually I feel most at home in congregations without a hired pastor :)

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,652.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Even the language of "hiring" a minister is problematic. That's not how I understand the relationship between a minister and the church.

That is a fundamental, cultural issue that remains stubbornly fixed in most people's minds. Another related issue that I have come across in some evangelical circles is the concept of "candidating". When a church is seeking a minister they will draw up a short list and invite the individuals to preach on a Sunday in order for the nominating committee to evaluate the "candidate". It is rather like a political campaign. One of the major problems is that, although most members only experience their pastor on Sunday mornings and the sermon is, indeed, significant, it is hardly all there is to the Christian life, nor to the ministry of the pastor. There have been far too many outstanding preachers who failed utterly in the primary goal of equipping the church to do the work of ministry.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In my tradition, it's common for a small committee of people from the church looking for a new priest, to go and visit the church where the person being considered ministers. I think that's slightly better, because as well as seeing how they preach and lead the service, you get the chance to observe and ask questions of the congregation (who don't usually realise that these "visitors" are there for that purpose).

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,652.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In my tradition, it's common for a small committee of people from the church looking for a new priest, to go and visit the church where the person being considered ministers. I think that's slightly better, because as well as seeing how they preach and lead the service, you get the chance to observe and ask questions of the congregation (who don't usually realise that these "visitors" are there for that purpose).

Actually, that is a much better practice.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums