Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I really don't understand how Christian brethren can hunt down and torture and kill other Christian brethren when that type of behavior is 180 degrees from the teachings of the Bible...
unless the ones' doing the persecuting weren't born again to begin with.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Two comments,
Tribal identity always dehumanises the other nontribal party, whether they are black, jews, catholic, protestant or any varient in between.
two, What evidence do you have that those doing the perscution wre Christian.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Two comments,
Tribal identity always dehumanises the other nontribal party, whether they are black, jews, catholic, protestant or any varient in between.

I don't understand that nontribal party stuff. Why would a Protestant or a Catholic want to kill a person for disagreeing with him? Jesus told us ti love others.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really don't understand how Christian brethren can hunt down and torture and kill other Christian brethren when that type of behavior is 180 degrees from the teachings of the Bible...
unless the ones' doing the persecuting weren't born again to begin with.
The State killed based on the Church State model. Not little ol' granny sitting in the pew. The USA put a stop to this with separation of Church and State.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand that nontribal party stuff. Why would a Protestant or a Catholic want to kill a person for disagreeing with him? Jesus told us ti love others.

If someone does not belong to your tribe, they are not ones friend.
Anyone who is not ones friend is an enemy.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand that nontribal party stuff.

To put it in terms you are familiar with.
Travel to a deep south part of america and talk to the locals with a broad new york accent about how terrible sessecion was. Do you think you'll be welcome?
or do it the other way round go to a staunch unionist part of kentucky talking with a deep south accent about the evils of the union.

Tribalism is found nearly everywhere and it is only the civilising effects of Christianity that limits its affect.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Two comments,
The new birth has nothing to do with human races or tribes.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The State killed based on the Church State model. Not little ol' granny sitting in the pew. The USA put a stop to this with separation of Church and State.
I wasn"t asking about the USA (although religious freedoms are increasingly vanishing), but 16th and 17th century Europe where the Anabaptists had their beginnings. Sorry for not being clear.

• Useful
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If someone does not belong to your tribe, they are not ones friend.
Anyone who is not ones friend is an enemy.
But as born again Christians we are called to love our enemies and not just chum with those we get along with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wasn"t asking about the USA (although religious freedoms are increasingly vanishing), but 16th and 17th century Europe where the Anabaptists had their beginnings. Sorry for not being clear.

I don't think it's possible to understand, it's a mindset so foreign all we can do is refuse to be like them...

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Travel to a deep south part of america and talk to the locals with a broad new york accent about how terrible sessecion was. Do you think you'll be welcome?
or do it the other way round go to a staunch unionist part of kentucky talking with a deep south accent about the evils of the union.

Tribalism is found nearly everywhere and it is only the civilising effects of Christianity that limits its affect.
Tribalism may be found everywhere but it is not to be found in the Church. For the born again Christian there are only two tribes in the world, the saved and unsaved, the regenerate and unregenerate etc.. The saved are to have no animosity towards the unsaved but rather to help, pray for and seek the salvation of that 'other tribe'.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tribalism may be found everywhere but it is not to be found in the Church. There are only two tribes in the world, the saved and unsaved, the regenerate and unregenerate etc.. The saved are to have no animosity towards the unsaved but rather to help, pray for and seek the salvation of that 'other tribe'.

Do you honestly think it was God's own people - regenerate and washed in the blood of Jesus - killing people for believing differently?

I think that's the issue, you imagining these were people of God running around killing others. It wasn't.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you honestly think it was God's own people - regenerate and washed in the blood of Jesus - killing people for believing differently?

I think that's the issue, you imagining these were people of God running around killing others. It wasn't.
I never said it was did I? I have a hard time believing truly born again believers would use violent means to spread the Gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never said it was did I? I have a hard time believing truly born again believers would use violent means to spread the Gospel.
I think the State became weakened by different beliefs and counted it treason. Because of the State/Church structure. They blame Calvin for murdering Servetus. But this was not the case. He pleaded for Servetus' life and the State killed him.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think the State became weakened by different beliefs and counted it treason. Because of the State/Church structure. They blame Calvin for murdering Servetus. But this was not the case. He pleaded for Servetus' life and the State killed him.

Anytime state politics becomes so intertwined with religion this sort of thing happens... because it does count as treason against the state when state is using religion to keep people in line with whatever the agenda of the day is..

But Jesus said my Kingdom is not of this world. It's why we split state and religion in America, as you said.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a problem when Church and State cross one another's boundaries.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Okay. But there are white supremacists in the north. So people should be careful about making assumptions based on unfounded facts. Personally I don't expect differences to go away and I know people think they are Christians even when they hate. Our anglo-American neighbor, now deceased, was married to a Latina, but didn't like blacks so my late anglo-American husband ceased communication with him.

Romans 12
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Christian peace with all men.jpg

Upvote 0