• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Pennsylvania DA won't charge officer who shot jailed man, thinking gun was Taser

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by SummerMadness, Apr 14, 2019.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+11,577
    Catholic
    Pennsylvania DA won't charge officer who shot jailed man, thinking gun was Taser

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,521
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I think this was the appropriate outcome. He shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun again as a law enforcement officer. Hopefully he won't be hired as such on another police force. I would imagine that there will be a lawsuit.

The officer was placed on administrative leave and retired from the police department on April 10, the district attorney's office said. The police department did not respond to a request for comment.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. SummerMadness

+11,577
    Catholic
    The problem is he retires and he is able to continue to cash a check at the county's expense. An act like his, accident or not, should not be reward with administrative shuffling, which happens too often. He violated policy, but that wasn't the only problem. When violation of policy leads to the death or maiming of a human being, ho-hum administrative shuffling should not occur. It's a lack of accountability and the city is the one left holding the bag, whether it is financing this officer's lifestyle or paying damages to the victims.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,521
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Because they said 'retired' doesn't mean he actually retired with benefits, it may not. It may just mean that he left rather than being fired. idk
    I agree with you that he shouldn't receive benefits, this was a very serious violation that could have resulted in a young man's death.

5. SummerMadness

+11,577
    Catholic
    If he retired without benefits, that's okay I guess. But retiring after shooting someone without some recompense for the victim seems a bit twisted in my opinion.

6. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother? Supporter

+8,239
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    It's an understandable mistake. Could happen to anybody, I'm sure.

Not really though, this is messed up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother? Supporter

+8,239
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Or a lot twisted. If anybody else made that mistake, they would've been up on charges.

8. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,831
    Agnostic
    Single
    How exactly does one mistake a taser for a gun?

9. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,664
    Atheist
    Single
    That is an excellent question. None of the tasers I have seen look or would feel at all similar to a gun. Probably in large part to make sure something like this does not happen.

10. SummerMadness

+11,577
    Catholic
    The policy quoted says the officer must put their taser on the side of their non-dominant hand. What happens too often is policies are neglected or violated and no one is punished.

11. dgiharris

dgiharris Newbie

+5,130
    Baptist
    fixed your post

This is part of the problem with law enforcement. We continuously hold Law Enforcement to a LOWER STANDARD than we hold ourselves to. As such, this has a host of Unintended Consequences.

One of the Unintended Consequences is that many Law Enforcement types feel that citizens of this country are "beneath them". They view citizens like subjects to be ruled over. And why not, they can basically shoot you and get away with it. They can literally murder you and then later make up whatever flimsy nonsensical excuse and sprinkle in a "I feared for my life" and that is that, swept under the rug, a little administrative shuffling, no harm no foul...

Police should simply be held to a higher standard commensurate to the amount of power they have over the citizenry. They literally have the power of life and death over us and yet we will accept the most incompetent and moronic buffoonery of behavior from them time and time again...

As someone who trained people in gun safety, it is literally impossible for you to mistake a gun for a taser. Absolutely impossible and doubly so if you are a trained professional.

But I will say this, as a trained professional in which that is your job, legally there should be no defense whatsoever. Even for the sake of argument if we believe you, you should still go to jail for criminal negligence and incompetence...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,831
    Agnostic
    Single
    The problem of course is that the officer in question seemed to lack either training or professionalism, or the basic sense to not fire a gun at someone they don't intend to, even accidentally.

"We" no, the professionals that oversee law enforcement seem to hold them to a lower standard than the general public. I in the same situation absolutely would have, at least, been charged with negligence if I had meant to tase someone and shot them instead.

The problem here is that I can't imagine making the same mistake and I am not a trained professional.

13. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,831
    Agnostic
    Single
    It's never a good idea, for quality control purposes, to establish a culture where rules are basically just overlooked.

14. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+7,927
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Well he did earn that check. He's not getting retirement money for this particular incident...he's getting it for his years of service to the community.

He performed years of service to the community, earning a retirement in the process. I agree that he made a mistake...but the conclusion seems to be that it was an accident, in the performance of his duty, and not intentional.

I don't see why this one mistake would negate the years of service he performed. That sounds extremely vindictive and unjustified. Do you have something personal bias against the police or something?

15. dgiharris

dgiharris Newbie

+5,130
    Baptist
    What is so strange is that in every other profession, the law holds said profession to a higher standard.

Lets say for instance that I invite you to my house and I cook you a meal and I give you food poisoning. You decide to sue me and you will easily win the cost of any medical bills you incurred and that would more or less be the case.

however, instead of me being a normal person, lets say that I'm a trained chef that owns a restaurant and you suffer food poisoning at my restaurant. Now, that same lawsuit has teeth. Now, you would be awarded a lot more money because the law recognizes that I should have known better because I'm a professional...

Yet, law enforcement is never held to the same standard as other professions. It's so weird. I don't know what sort of group think allows for such a contrarian standard...

16. Ana the Ist

+7,927
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    That's not a profession.

Actually, I think you'd have to sue the restaurant. Whether or not the chef is named specifically would probably depend on factors like "does the chef own the restaurant".

Chefs don't perform a function vital to a society. If we lose all chefs tomorrow, we probably won't fall apart.

17. Ana the Ist

+7,927
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Impossible?

taser.jpg

It looks like it's definitely "possible" to grab that and believe it's a gun....or vice versa.

18. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+12,616
    United States
    Married
    The guy was a criminal trying to hide evidence of his crimes, he got what he deserved.

19. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+10,724
    Atheist
    Single
    He made the mistake, and also violated policy by having both gun and taser on the same side. If one has the two on opposite sides of the body one is less likely to make this sort of error.

20. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+2,309
    United States
    Other Religion
    Celibate