Paul: "Christ is our Life" Colossians 3:4.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
On the day of Pentecost over 8,000 Jews heard Peter preach the Gospel and were saved.
Faith does not come by the law. Faith comes by hearing and believing the Gospel, Romans 10:17. You need to listen to the New Covenant and shelve the Old Covenant.

In Romans 10:16, it speaks against those who do not obey the Gospel, yet you are trying to treat believing the Gospel as being an alternative to obeying it.

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
In Romans 10:16, it speaks against those who do not obey the Gospel, yet you are trying to treat believing the Gospel as being an alternative to obeying it.
We obey the Gospel by believing that Jesus has fulfilled the law for us. You don't believe the Gospel, because you believe that you have to fulfill the demands of the law. You are trying to do in your flesh what God has already done in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
We obey the Gospel by believing that Jesus has fulfilled the law for us. You don't believe the Gospel, because you believe that you have to fulfill the demands of the law. You are trying to do in your flesh what God has already done in Jesus Christ.

Nowhere does the Bible say that Jesus fulfilled the law for us or describe that as being the Gospel, but rather that is your own personal gospel. However, the Bible does describe the Gospel that Jesus taught as calling for people to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand. So I believe the Gospel that Christ taught while I reject your personal gospel, and you believe your own gospel while rejecting the Gospel of Christ.

Furthermore, in Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good work, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in what Jesus has done for us, while you returning to the lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem us from is rejecting what he has done for us.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But where is the condition listed in The Bible, that not taking God's name in vain. Is a condition listed by God to receive His free gift of Eternal Life.

It is like asking "Where in the Bible does it say that confession of sin and repentance is a prerequisite to forgiveness or that being saved means being forgiven of sin?" -- seems like it is all over the place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

IF you Love Me KEEP My Commandments -- John 14:15

1 John 2:
3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever follows His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says that he remains in Him ought, himself also, walk just as He walked.

Matt 7:
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; leave Me, you who practice lawlessness.

Rev 14:12 the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

James 2 - "even the devils believe an tremble"
19 You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20 But are you willing to acknowledge, you foolish person, that faith without works is useless?

What is James' point in those verses - in your POV?

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
19 You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20 But are you willing to acknowledge, you foolish person, that faith without works is useless?

James was a Judaizer. A Judaizer is one that believes in Jesus, but also believes that you must keep the law of Moses. The book of James is controversial. It was not written to Gentile believers, it was written to law keeping Jews, James 1:1.

James also sent men to spy on Peter and Barnabas to see if they were eating with those nasty Gentiles, Galatians 2:12. James was the head of the church in Jerusalem. He thought that Gentile believers should be circumcised. Paul and Barnabas contended with him, Acts 15:1-21.

The book of James is very Jewish, not much about Christ and his Gospel. I am sure that James learned the Gospel and justification by faith from Paul at a later date. There were many Judaizers in the early church.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:
19 You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20 But are you willing to acknowledge, you foolish person, that faith without works is useless?21 Was our father Abraham not justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “And Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

James was a Judaizer. A Judaizer is one that believes in Jesus, but also believes that you must keep the law of Moses. The book of James is controversial.

And also Christ Himself??

Matt 19: if you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said,
“You shall not commit murder; Ex 20
You shall not commit adultery; Ex 20
You shall not steal; Ex 20
You shall not give false testimony; Ex 20
19 Honor your father and mother; Ex 20
and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Lev 19:18

How much of the Bible would we need to snip out --- to take your POV?

It was not written to Gentile believers, it was written to law keeping Jews,

So gentiles are free to take God's name in vain - in your POV?

Is 56:6-8 “Also the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord,
To attend to His service and to love the name of the Lord,
To be His servants, every one who keeps the Sabbath so as not to profane it,
And holds firmly to My covenant;
7 Even those I will bring to My holy mountain,
And make them joyful in My house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar;
For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples.”

2 Tim 3:6 All Scripture is inspired by God and beneficial for teaching/Doctrine, for rebuke, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man or woman of God may be fully capable, equipped for every good work.

Prior to the cross Jesus said "God so loved the WORLD" -- not "just Jews"

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:
19 You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20 But are you willing to acknowledge, you foolish person, that faith without works is useless?21 Was our father Abraham not justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “And Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

And also Christ Himself??

Matt 19: if you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said,
“You shall not commit murder; Ex 20
You shall not commit adultery; Ex 20
You shall not steal; Ex 20
You shall not give false testimony; Ex 20
19 Honor your father and mother; Ex 20
and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Lev 19:18

How much of the Bible would we need to snip out --- to take your POV?

So gentiles are free to take God's name in vain - in your POV?

Is 56:6-8 “Also the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord,
To attend to His service and to love the name of the Lord,
To be His servants, every one who keeps the Sabbath so as not to profane it,
And holds firmly to My covenant;
7 Even those I will bring to My holy mountain,
And make them joyful in My house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar;
For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples.”

2 Tim 3:6 All Scripture is inspired by God and beneficial for teaching/Doctrine, for rebuke, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man or woman of God may be fully capable, equipped for every good work.

Prior to the cross Jesus said "God so loved the WORLD" -- not "just Jews"
Under the New Covenant Christians don't live by laws, rules or religion, they live by faith in Christ and his Gospel, Romans 1:17. This is why Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Do you believe that?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Under the New Covenant Christians don't live by laws, rules or religion,

Here is the actual New Covenant - lets actually read it.

Jer 31:31-34

31 “Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers on the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord. 33 “For this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord: “I will put My law within them and write it on their heart; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 They will not teach again, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the Lord, “for I will forgive their wrongdoing, and their sin I will no longer remember.”

You find the one-and-only NEW Covenant in the NT - quoted verbatim from Jer 31 in Hebrews 8.

This is why Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Do you believe that?

Christ is the goal of the law - as it leads sinners to their need of salvation as Paul reminds us in Rom 3:19-20 -- so no wonder Rom 3:31 says "31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? Far from it! On the contrary, we establish the Law."

James 5:11 KJV - 11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

The end as in - the purpose of... the goal of...

1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is KEEPING the commandments of God" according to Paul

Rev 14:12 "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It is like asking "Where in the Bible does it say that confession of sin and repentance is a prerequisite to forgiveness or that being saved means being forgiven of sin?" -- seems like it is all over the place.

So in other words there is no verse or verses

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But where is the condition listed in The Bible, that not taking God's name in vain. Is a condition listed by God to receive His free gift of Eternal Life.

So in other words there is no verse or verses

"it is all over the place" is not another way of saying "no verse" as it turns out.

Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins

That is the way that you say that people need to repent in order to receive the salvation found in scripture where one is forgiven of sins under the New Covenant of Jer 31:31-34.

1 Cor 6:
7 Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather suffer the wrong? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 On the contrary, you yourselves do wrong and defraud. And this to your brothers and sisters!

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor those habitually drunk, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Romans 2:
2 And we know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who practice such things. 3 But do you suppose this, you foolish person who passes judgment on those who practice such things, and yet does them as well, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and restraint and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will repay each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life; 8 but to those who are self-serving and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, He will give wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of mankind who does evil, for the Jew first and also for the Greek, 10 but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who does what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

"it is all over the place" is not another way of saying "no verse" as it turns out.

Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins

That is the way that you say that people need to repent in order to receive the salvation found in scripture where one is forgiven of sins under the New Covenant of Jer 31:31-34.

1 Cor 6:
7 Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather suffer the wrong? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 On the contrary, you yourselves do wrong and defraud. And this to your brothers and sisters!

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor those habitually drunk, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Romans 2:
2 And we know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who practice such things. 3 But do you suppose this, you foolish person who passes judgment on those who practice such things, and yet does them as well, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and restraint and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will repay each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life; 8 but to those who are self-serving and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, He will give wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of mankind who does evil, for the Jew first and also for the Greek, 10 but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who does what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

Not in any of those verses.

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Here is the actual New Covenant - lets actually read it.

31 “Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers on the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord. 33 “For this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord: “I will put My law within them and write it on their heart; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 They will not teach again, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the Lord, “for I will forgive their wrongdoing, and their sin I will no longer remember.”

You find the one-and-only NEW Covenant in the NT - quoted verbatim from Jer 31 in Hebrews 8.

Christ is the goal of the law - as it leads sinners to their need of salvation as Paul reminds us in Rom 3:19-20 -- so no wonder Rom 3:31 says "31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? Far from it! On the contrary, we establish the Law."

James 5:11 KJV - 11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

The end as in - the purpose of... the goal of...

100% wrong. The only way anyone can keep the commandments is to be found "In Christ". God must see you as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. Because you have been born after Adam you are a sinner, Romans 3:10.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here is the actual New Covenant -

100% wrong.

You can't just post "100% wrong" when you see a Bible text that does not fit a given preference - and still be viewed as having the best answer to the point.

The only way anyone can keep the commandments is to be found "In Christ".

true.

But that does not mean that God is not aware of reality or that the New Covenant is in error or that Paul is wrong to say "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19

James 2 - is scripture. Romans 2 is scripture.

1 John 3:4 points out that even in the NT - "SIN IS transgression of the LAW"

Because you have been born after Adam you are a sinner, Romans 3:10.

Indeed all have sinned - so all need the Gospel -- and that includes the Gospel "New Covenant"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Not in any of those verses.

in all of them...

1 Cor 6:

Romans 2:

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You can't just post "100% wrong" when you see a Bible text that does not fit a given preference - and still be viewed as having the best answer to the point.

true.

But that does not mean that God is not aware of reality or that the New Covenant is in error or that Paul is wrong to say "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19

James 2 - is scripture. Romans 2 is scripture.

1 John 3:4 points out that even in the NT - "SIN IS transgression of the LAW"

Indeed all have sinned - so all need the Gospel -- and that includes the Gospel "New Covenant"
But you don't keep the commandments. You don't even come close. Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10. So, what now?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
in all of them...

No none of the verse you post are about receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life.

I will post one+ that is and it can be seen, the verses you posted are not addressing the same subject.

that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No none of the verse you post are about receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life.

If you have a gospel where someone has eternal life without the new covenant and without forgiveness of sins - feel free to post the evidence for it instead of assuming we all believe in such a text - when in fact scripture points to the exact opposite in its teaching about forgiveness , repentance, the gospel and the new covenant are posted.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But you don't keep the commandments. You don't even come close. Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10. So, what now?

1. The "accuser of the brethren" is mentioned in Rev 12 - you might want to read it.

2. You are making a statement about the lost

3. Paul states it is only the lost that "do not submit to the Law of God and indeed they CAN NOT" Rom 8:4-11.

Which I think you would easily accept if you were not so determined to delete every text posted so far that points this out.

Rom 8:3
He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are in accord with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.

Here is the actual New Covenant -

1 Cor 6:

Romans 2:

1 John 5:3-4 "this IS the Love of God that we KEEP His Commandments"
Rom 3:31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? Far from it! On the contrary, we establish the Law.
Rom 2: 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the Law who will be justified.

Justification is purely a "gospel" concept

James 2:22 You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “And Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 In the same way, was Rahab the prostitute not justified by works also when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture is inspired by God and to be used for doctrine

Oh i know you do not believe the promise in The Bible that God's free gift of Eternal Life is received by faith

merely falsely accusing others - is not a Bible solution -- it is simply a form of name calling.

I need to not, post any other verse's

Turns out -- you need to pay attention to the Word of God. Declaring the need to ignore large sections of it - is "a sign" that something in your theology is "amiss".

Last edited:
Upvote 0