Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
sin is sin.. and all sin can be forgiven but one and homosexuality is not the unforgiveable sin we all know that

1 Corinthians 6:9-11New International Version (NIV)

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God?Do not be deceived Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed,you were sanctified,you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sin does require repentance though, does it not? If a sexually immoral person says they are covered by the blood of Christ, but continues in their sexual immorality, is forgiveness still apparent?

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not when it comes to sin. Sin isn't what we do but what we are. We sin because we are sinners by our very nature. What the Bible calls sin has no cultural distinction.

I would agree with this premise but you are comparing apples and oranges.

I have long been a proponent of not judging men in history according to our culture. Men such as Luther, Calvin, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson were men of their culture and many of their decisions were influenced by their cultural upbringing.

Still the Bible is the very Word of God and not subject to cultural interpretations. Your argument here is the same used by those who seek to promote women pastors which is unbiblical and clearly against the plain words of the Scriptures. We cannot make the Scriptures say what they do not say by interpreting them according to cultures.

I do not point out sins in others but I do recognize what the Scriptures call sin mine and others.
That would be like saying a bunch of boys become marooned on an deserted island and over a period of time, become 'active' with each other. Over the years, it becomes their culture to do this. So, I guess culture dictates what is right and wrong? No. The bible is the sole authority to categorize what is sin and what is not.

I truly appreciate you input here, Brother. Too much Romans 8:19-21 in today's world.

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
sin is sin.. and all sin can be forgiven but one and homosexuality is not the unforgiveable sin we all know that
Agreed. Yet, homosexuality being practiced as a lifestyle is not acceptable, unless you are saying it is not a sin. I am not saying you are, just seeking clarification. I joined a 'baptist' website the other day and they were gloating about the UMC ordaining their first LGBT bishop. I tried to reason with them(I think a bunch of those ppl were UMC), but I was accused of insulting.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11New International Version (NIV)

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God?Do not be deceived Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed,you were sanctified,you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Key word...were...some of you. Past tense.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Not when it comes to sin. Sin isn't what we do but what we are. We sin because we are sinners by our very nature. What the Bible calls sin has no cultural distinction.

I would agree with this premise but you are comparing apples and oranges.

I have long been a proponent of not judging men in history according to our culture. Men such as Luther, Calvin, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson were men of their culture and many of their decisions were influenced by their cultural upbringing.

Still the Bible is the very Word of God and not subject to cultural interpretations. Your argument here is the same used by those who seek to promote women pastors which is unbiblical and clearly against the plain words of the Scriptures. We cannot make the Scriptures say what they do not say by interpreting them according to cultures.

I do not point out sins in others but I do recognize what the Scriptures call sin mine and others.

Well, if you don't understand after me saying it twice, there seems little point going for a third.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
That would be like saying a bunch of boys become marooned on an deserted island and over a period of time, become 'active' with each other. Over the years, it becomes their culture to do this. So, I guess culture dictates what is right and wrong? No. The bible is the sole authority to categorize what is sin and what is not.

I truly appreciate you input here, Brother. Too much Romans 8:19-21 in today's world.

The point is, what the Bible calls a sin is not what we might think, or even what is often taught.

Don't you think it is important to get this one right? In which case, we need to study what was normal, what was understood, and what was intended at the time the Bible was written, and all of that BEFORE making assumptions that we already know because we think we do.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Sin does require repentance though, does it not? If a sexually immoral person says they are covered by the blood of Christ, but continues in their sexual immorality, is forgiveness still apparent?

Take it down a notch or two.

If I say I am covered by the blood of Christ, but carry on eating too many doughnuts, am I still forgiven?

Then show me one single Christian who does NOT have a besetting sin of this kind; even one single person. Or perhaps you are the exception; your sins are ALL overcome, and you never, ever fall into sin that you have already repented.

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Take it down a notch or two.

If I say I am covered by the blood of Christ, but carry on eating too many doughnuts, am I still forgiven?

Then show me one single Christian who does NOT have a besetting sin of this kind; even one single person. Or perhaps you are the exception; your sins are ALL overcome, and you never, ever fall into sin that you have already repented.

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

If eating one donut was a sin, then sure...one act of adultery is a sin. See the difference? This is why we shouldn't take the notion of "sin" down any notches at all. The matter to address is not that we sin, it's the repentance of said sin. Real repentance means we don't continue to repeat it...correct?

Hebrews 10:26 New International Version (NIV)

26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,

1 John 3:6-9New International Version (NIV)

6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

1 John 5:18New International Version (NIV)

18 We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them.

Romans 6:1-2New International Version (NIV)

6 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
If eating one donut was a sin, then sure...one act of adultery is a sin. See the difference? This is why we shouldn't take the notion of "sin" down any notches at all.

Gluttony is indeed a sin, and the end result of gluttony is obesity. Many countries have huge problems with obesity, but how often do we hear Christians condemn gluttony, as they happily condemn sexual sin?

The endless focus on sexual sin distorts our concept of what sin is; it becomes something that 'they' do, but which we do not do, and therefore we can think ourselves to be pure and righteous.

That is a very, very dangerous path for anyone to go down, which is why it is important when considering sin to look at our own sin, and not other people's.

Meanwhile, you did not answer my question. Are all of YOUR sins overcome?

If not, why concern yourself with other people's sin?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Gluttony is indeed a sin, and the end result of gluttony is obesity. Many countries have huge problems with obesity, but how often do we hear Christians condemn gluttony, as they happily condemn sexual sin?

The endless focus on sexual sin distorts our concept of what sin is; it becomes something that 'they' do, but which we do not do, and therefore we can think ourselves to be pure and righteous.

That is a very, very dangerous path for anyone to go down, which is why it is important when considering sin to look at our own sin, and not other people's.

Show me in Scripture where gluttony is a sin. This is dangerous ground, as you risk calling every overweight person without a genetic predisposition a reprobate.

Are my sins overcome? No ma'am, but I also don't walk around gloating that I am saved and completely forgiven while continuing to sin. Would you like me to list them for you? I am happy to share. I'm working on repentance, and praying for a change of heart.

I'm concerned with sin in general. This is well intentioned, but like Mr. Steven Anderson failed to do, it must be managed and kept in check...or you end up hating everyone because everyone is a sinner.

Your thoughts on the Scripture posted please.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Catherine

I read carefully all your posts, and I came to conclusion that you trying to find some middle ground between the Word of GOD and Unnatural Behavior of mankind.

This is never works for anyone, unless you have certain agenda behind you point of view, or defend certain tradition or doctrine of your denomination whatever it may be.

I noticed such attitude in many Christian who cannot accept certain Words and Commandments of GOD because of their own life style, desires, obsessions, “political correctness or Christian correctness” and other factors in their life that drive such people in disagreement with the Holy Scripture.

And such people trying very hard to interpret the Word of GOD, which is in many cases, have single meaning and definition, and cannot be interpreted in any other way.

What is really Natural and Unnatural very well defined in the Bible and in all its instances have direct single definition, which has nothing to do with so call “cultural” tendencies as you mentioned, but rather with UNCHANGABLE, EVERLASTING, definition of what is good and bad, natural and unnatural, loyal and disloyal, faithful and unfaithful, right and wrong, perverted and not perverted, permitted and not permitted, and so on, which is eternal LAW for all living creatures, no matter spiritual, or physical, for all times and generations to come, it will never change.

Of course, we all able to subdue our own conscience and go our own ways ignoring the Words of the One Who defined in His Own Word and Terms what is right and what is wrong, but it does not mean what any of His Statutes, Commandments, and Definitions of behavior changes just because we disagree with them.

The fact of His Word and His Own will remains unchanged, and so the consequences for those who interpreted His Word in their own way.

GOD’S Word relevant for all times and for all generation of humankind, from its beginning and to its very end.

I truly believe, that our own conscience as preliminary Law of GOD, tells us already without even the Letter of the Law, what is right and what is wrong. And it is up to us to accept unwanted or unlikable call of our conscience, or force ourselves to follow it, in order to be one and with the step with the Lord our GOD, Whose Word never changes and last forever.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Show me in Scripture where gluttony is a sin.
Proverbs 23:1-3 When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you, and
put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. Do not crave his delicacies, for that food is deceptive.

Ezekiel 16:49 Sodom’s sins were pride, gluttony, and laziness, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door.

Proverbs 23:19-21 My child, listen and be wise: Keep your heart on the right course. Do not carouse with drunkards or feast with gluttons, for they are on their way to poverty, and too much sleep clothes them in rags.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 23:1-3 When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you, and
put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. Do not crave his delicacies, for that food is deceptive.

Ezekiel 16:49 Sodom’s sins were pride, gluttony, and laziness, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door.

Proverbs 23:19-21 My child, listen and be wise: Keep your heart on the right course. Do not carouse with drunkards or feast with gluttons, for they are on their way to poverty, and too much sleep clothes them in rags.

We are not under the law:

1 Corinthians 10:27
If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Paul was not speaking of over indulgence. You are taking it out of context. He was speaking of meat offered as a sacrifice to idols.

But dont you think it sets a new precedence if you compare what Paul says to the Proverbs 23 verse you quoted? Don't you also think that the only verse you quoted that says that gluttony is a sin is the Ezekiel verse, and in that context it's because they did not provide also for their neighbor? If a glutton shares many meals with the poor because he cares for them, is that still sin? (If you want to continue, we can start a new thread :) )

Anyway, we're off topic again so I will point the OP to read Titus 1:10-16 and ask...does this apply to Mr. Anderson?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyway, we're off topic again so I will point the OP to read Titus 1:10-16 and ask...does this apply to Mr. Anderson?

I do not believe so, no. Anderson does indeed speak truth concerning His Word. However, I will admit he has an issue that needs to be dealt with (all this hate talk about homosexuals) - that I highly disagree with him as a pastor. He's subject to be used by Satan just like any one else (Jesus even rebuked His apostle and said "Get thee behind me, Satan!"). It's certainly important to note not to put anyone on a "pedestal" because of that. :)

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I love the guy (in a Christ like way) but I find him rude and cringeworthy. If he such a good Christian pastor then why is he so unloving? Does he realize that if he doesn't himself repent, then his end would be so dire because of his hatefulness?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was born heterosexual. It stands to reason that our sexuality is a trait that is ingrained at birth. If someone is predisposed genetically to be homosexual, I am of the opinion that they could only fight against lust the same as a heterosexual would. The only "out" a heterosexual may have is marriage, and even Paul seemingly says it's better to not be married than to be married because a married man does not have on his mind the will of God. I don't understand why we condemn homosexuality. If we condemn it then we must equally condemn our children and peer who have sexual relations outside of marriage even when they are not married in the first place.

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The point is, what the Bible calls a sin is not what we might think, or even what is often taught.
What do you mean here? All we have to go by in regards to governing the believer is the bible and what it says. I find that homosexuality is not just a sin, but an abomination in the sight of God[Leviticus 18]. It is not natural for two men or two women to have 'relations' with each other. In Genesis 2 we read "That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh."[Genesis 2:24] Now, let us take this approach from an anatomical appeal. Look at how a man is made and how a woman it is made. It does not take a genius to see "neither was man created for woman, but woman for man."[1 Corinthians 11:9] We are to be fruitful in marriage and two men or two women can not do this. So, seeing that homosexuality is a sin, when two are engaged in this as a lifestyle, they are living in rebellion to God. It is not like comparing a lifestyle with a one time tryst. The life of the believer is rife with repentance. Where there is no repentance, there is no salvation...I am talking about an extended period of time.

Don't you think it is important to get this one right? In which case, we need to study what was normal, what was understood, and what was intended at the time the Bible was written, and all of that BEFORE making assumptions that we already know because we think we do.

"In which case, we need to study what was normal." Exactly. Now, fish me a verse from Genesis 1:1------->Revelation 22:21 that says homosexuality is normal, acceptable behavior in the sight of God. I'll be waiting.

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I am still waiting on that verse in the bible where God finds the homosexual lifestyle acceptable in His sight.

To compare that lifestyle with gluttony is very unwise.

Upvote 0