Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this man, but he's an extremely anti-gay KJV-only pastor who believes in the death penalty for homosexuals in Leviticus 20:13 and Romans 1:18-32, and that they cannot be saved due to their "reprobate minds". He's also cited Jeremiah 16 for his justification for not mourning the people in the shooting in Orlando.

Regretfully, it was this man who made me lose my faith, and caused me so much depression.

Steven Anderson is a controversial man... I am curious how he, a mere sinful man, caused you to lose your faith in God?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cephus617

Jul 9, 2016
Michigan
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I couldn't watch the whole video of that joker...But he did say that he prays for homosexuals to die and to go to hell....smh.

Yeah it just seems incredibly cruel to wish a violent death on anyone, and all the people in the club were doing was dancing. I mean anyone who supports this raging lunatic has gotten so far off the message of Jesus.

There's so much about homosexuality i don't understand. But i know for sure that, even if homosexual sex is a sin, if they are killed then not only is Anderson supporting a truly terrible sin like murder, but killing active homosexuals robs them of any opportunity to repent. So there is absolutely nothing to celebrate from this atrocity and doing so will only turn people from the church.

Upvote 0

TaiKamiya720

Apr 4, 2016
South Florida Metro area
✟19,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Extremists like Steven Anderson and his Faithful Word Baptist Church is what secular critics like atheists and humanists take to try to represent that piece as all of Christianity to claim that it is "cruel" when in reality it is not.
Steven Anderson is the same! same guy who wanted and prayed for Obama to be assassinated and said that the victims of the Paris attacks last November "had it coming". While God hates sin very much, he DOES NOT take delight in the death of the wicked. Unfortunately, he has also attacked the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because I figured, if Anderson is anything like what Jesus is about, then I want no part of it.

What about the other side of the coin? Why not see what Jesus is about for yourself? :angel:
Be careful when only gathering information from one side.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Skeptical wrote “KJV-only pastor,” actually it has nothing to do with KJV Bible or the pastor, because absolutely same condemnations of gays are written in all types of Bibles in the same way.

I have seven different Bibles included KJV, and I always compare certain statements of controversy by going through all these Bibles.

And I can reassure you that all the places in the Bible where homosexuality is condemned read the same.

Leviticus 18.22

22.You shall not lie with a male as which with a woman, it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20.13

13.If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination, they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them.

Deuteronomy 22.5

5.A woman shall not wear a man's apparel, nor shall a man put on a woman's garment, whoever does such things is abhorrent to the Lord your GOD.

To Romans 1.26-27

26.For this reason GOD gave them up to degrading passions. Their women exchanged natural intercourse for unnatural,

27.and in the same way also the man, giving up natural intercourse with women were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.

First Corinthians 6.9-10

9.Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of GOD? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites,

10.thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers, none of these will inherit the Kingdom of GOD.

Jude 1.7

7.Likewise Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which in the same manner as they indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural lust, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of Eternal Fire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this man, but he's an extremely anti-gay KJV-only pastor who believes in the death penalty for homosexuals in Leviticus 20:13 and Romans 1:18-32, and that they cannot be saved due to their "reprobate minds". He's also cited Jeremiah 16 for his justification for not mourning the people in the shooting in Orlando.

Regretfully, it was this man who made me lose my faith, and caused me so much depression.

I am really sorry to hear that.

Fwiw, you are not accountable for that loss of faith; he is. Pastors are held to a higher level of accountability than everyone else, and for good reason.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+17:2&version=KJV

Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
As much as I would like to believe, I can't.

Given that you are not yet at your destination, I would not worry. You are asking the right questions, and that is a good place to be, for now.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I guess I dont see how a "man" could make you lose your faith in God. He is, after all, just a man with absolutely no power over you (least ways he should not have power over you). Maybe you can provide a deeper explanation of it......

The OP does not have to explain. People are social; what one person does or says affects others. That is natural enough.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
If a man made you lose your faith, then one should wonder exactly what your faith was in, in the first place.

This is a variant of blaming the victim for the crime. It is not appropriate, imo.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Skeptical wrote “KJV-only pastor,” actually it has nothing to do with KJV Bible or the pastor, because absolutely same condemnations of gays are written in all types of Bibles in the same way.

I have seven different Bibles included KJV, and I always compare certain statements of controversy by going through all these Bibles.

And I can reassure you that all the places in the Bible where homosexuality is condemned read the same.

Whatever it is that the Bible condemns, I agree with. I do not disagree with Scripture.

However, I do disagree with modern interpretation in some places. Whatever it is that the Bible speaks of is NOT homosexuality as we understand the term, any more than the dream interpretations in the Bible can be described as Freudian interpretations of dreams. The term 'homosexual' was coined in the 19th century with a particular NEW meaning that did not exist before. A whole new context was created, of a norm of 'heterosexual' for the vast majority of people, with a sub-normal or aberrant 'homosexual' as a deviant sub category within that norm.

Former ages did not have this concept of deviant sub category; they had different categories of natural and unnatural. Needless to say, what they meant by unnatural was very different from what we assume them to have meant. I will try to keep this as family friendly as I can.

Women were assumed to be naturally totally passive, and anything approaching an active role, in initiating or enjoying private marital activity was regarded as abnormal. Similarly, the acceptable role for men was very clearly defined; a man had to take the active role, always. The passive role was for slaves, boys, women and male prostitutes. As long as the man took the active role the ancients were not really bothered what else he did. This applies to ancient Greeks and Romans, and to some extent Jews as well, although the Jews had an additional antipathy to anything related to pagan worship.

So if we are going to return to Biblical values, and by all means do so, we ought also to consider whether we think that a woman cooking dinner for her husband, and planning a romantic weekend with him, is behaving unnaturally. According to the ancients, she might well be.

Where the Bible says 'unnatural' we have to be very careful indeed to define just what they mean by that before we begin to condemn other people. It is a very easy trap to fall into; to forget our own sins in our zeal to convict other people of theirs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Whatever it is that the Bible condemns, I agree with. I do not disagree with Scripture.

However, I do disagree with modern interpretation in some places. Whatever it is that the Bible speaks of is NOT homosexuality as we understand the term, any more than the dream interpretations in the Bible can be described as Freudian interpretations of dreams. The term 'homosexual' was coined in the 19th century with a particular NEW meaning that did not exist before. A whole new context was created, of a norm of 'heterosexual' for the vast majority of people, with a sub-normal or aberrant 'homosexual' as a deviant sub category within that norm.

Former ages did not have this concept of deviant sub category; they had different categories of natural and unnatural. Needless to say, what they meant by unnatural was very different from what we assume them to have meant. I will try to keep this as family friendly as I can.

Women were assumed to be naturally totally passive, and anything approaching an active role, in initiating or enjoying private marital activity was regarded as abnormal. Similarly, the acceptable role for men was very clearly defined; a man had to take the active role, always. The passive role was for slaves, boys, women and male prostitutes. As long as the man took the active role the ancients were not really bothered what else he did. This applies to ancient Greeks and Romans, and to some extent Jews as well, although the Jews had an additional antipathy to anything related to pagan worship.

So if we are going to return to Biblical values, and by all means do so, we ought also to consider whether we think that a woman cooking dinner for her husband, and planning a romantic weekend with him, is behaving unnaturally. According to the ancients, she might well be.

Where the Bible says 'unnatural' we have to be very careful indeed to define just what they mean by that before we begin to condemn other people. It is a very easy trap to fall into; to forget our own sins in our zeal to convict other people of theirs.
While I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement I must disagree with your conclusion. That which is natural is natural in any age and that which is unnatural is unnatural in any age. Men with men and women with women is unnatural no matter how much it is accepted at any time. Truth is simple and has no real gray areas.

While I do not condemn any sin more than I do another, sin is sin no matter what age it was committed. The truth of God does not change with people's cultural or circumstantial experience. Sin is sin no matter when, where, what or how.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
While I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement I must disagree with your conclusion. That which is natural is natural in any age and that which is unnatural is unnatural in any age. Men with men and women with women is unnatural no matter how much it is accepted at any time. Truth is simple and has no real gray areas.

While I do not condemn any sin more than I do another, sin is sin no matter what age it was committed. The truth of God does not change with people's cultural or circumstantial experience. Sin is sin no matter when, where, what or how.

I am afraid you are mistaken in this context, as I have already explained. What is called 'natural' is indeed cultural rather than universal.

As another example we might consider the intellect of women. In a culture where the norm is to not educate women, they will be regarded as lacking cognitive skills, and as naturally inferior to men. Take those same women, or their daughters, and introduce education and we find that women are capable of being every bit as intelligent as men are. However, some cultures, even today, will say that women are naturally less capable of learning, and ought not to be given education.

The actual ability of any given woman remains the same, but the cultural interpretation of what it means to be female, and educated, differs considerably, and this has a huge impact on the opportunities available, and therefore the position of the glass ceiling in any given context.

Culture has a huge impact on our lives, without us realising it. The Bible is the product of its own culture, and for the most part it reflects that culture. Where we have a difference is in the prophets, and indeed the Lord himself. The prophets can see further, and they see beyond culture and into the will of God, which is certainly not that women - or anyone else - should be treated with contempt, or as inferior.

As for sin, well, we all sin. The problem comes when I begin to regard my neighbour's sins, whatever they are, as worse than mine. That is hubris, and is a very grave sin. Even St Paul called himself the worst of sinners; that is the example for us to follow.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Because I figured, if Anderson is anything like what Jesus is about, then I want no part of it.

But he's not...simply read the Bible and you'll see that.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am afraid you are mistaken in this context, as I have already explained. What is called 'natural' is indeed cultural rather than universal.
Not when it comes to sin. Sin isn't what we do but what we are. We sin because we are sinners by our very nature. What the Bible calls sin has no cultural distinction.

As another example we might consider the intellect of women. In a culture where the norm is to not educate women, they will be regarded as lacking cognitive skills, and as naturally inferior to men. Take those same women, or their daughters, and introduce education and we find that women are capable of being every bit as intelligent as men are. However, some cultures, even today, will say that women are naturally less capable of learning, and ought not to be given education.

The actual ability of any given woman remains the same, but the cultural interpretation of what it means to be female, and educated, differs considerably, and this has a huge impact on the opportunities available, and therefore the position of the glass ceiling in any given context.
I would agree with this premise but you are comparing apples and oranges.

Culture has a huge impact on our lives, without us realising it. The Bible is the product of its own culture, and for the most part it reflects that culture. Where we have a difference is in the prophets, and indeed the Lord himself. The prophets can see further, and they see beyond culture and into the will of God, which is certainly not that women - or anyone else - should be treated with contempt, or as inferior.
I have long been a proponent of not judging men in history according to our culture. Men such as Luther, Calvin, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson were men of their culture and many of their decisions were influenced by their cultural upbringing.

Still the Bible is the very Word of God and not subject to cultural interpretations. Your argument here is the same used by those who seek to promote women pastors which is unbiblical and clearly against the plain words of the Scriptures. We cannot make the Scriptures say what they do not say by interpreting them according to cultures.

As for sin, well, we all sin. The problem comes when I begin to regard my neighbour's sins, whatever they are, as worse than mine. That is hubris, and is a very grave sin. Even St Paul called himself the worst of sinners; that is the example for us to follow.
I do not point out sins in others but I do recognize what the Scriptures call sin mine and others.

Upvote 0