Parents sue after their special needs son is 'forcibly' baptized against their wishes

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Really? You don't think Christians nationwide would be screaming if, say, one had their kid taken by a mentor to a Satanic Black Mass against their wishes and forced the child to participate against the parents' and the child's wishes?
One difference is Satanic Black Mass represent evil. It like skulls are usually a bad sign.

Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
:doh:

edit to add - This situation happened in Cleveland, Ohio. Here's an article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Eleven-year-old disabled boy was forcibly baptized at an evangelical church in Chardon, lawsuit says
Vaughan later recruited Guarnera to serve as a Big Brother for the boy, according to the lawsuit.

Guarnera agreed not to proselytize, and took the boy to Lake County Captains minor league baseball games in Eastlake. He also took him to the Morning Star Friends Church for picnics and social events, the lawsuit said.

But contrary to the parents' orders, Guarnera often talked about religion with the boy, played religious songs on the car radio, and told him he didn't like families that did not believe in God. The boy said he felt intimidated and feared Guarnera would abandon him if he didn't go along with the religious bond, the lawsuit said.

On the day of the baptism, the boy said Guarnera threatened not to take him to any more baseball games if he declined to participate in the ceremony. He said Guarnera pushed him forward when the pastor called for the baptism participants to stand, according to the lawsuit.​
So the parents thought a boy will spend time with their son who they knew was a Christian and didn't think he would have any influence on the boy. I wonder if they ever took their son to baseball games themselves.
They don't seem to be very bright.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So the parents thought a boy will spend time with their son who they knew was a Christian and didn't think he would have any influence on the boy. I wonder if they ever took their son to baseball games themselves.
They don't seem to be very bright.

You might want to read the article again.

• Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You might want to read the article again.
Did you miss my point "Hey, I want you to spend time with my son but don't influence him now"? (I did missed his age)
It's like a Christian teacher (retired now) years ago that said she became a teacher to make a good impact on children yet that's forbidden now.
P.S I feel these parents wanted a free babysitter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm sure your experience is typical.

But we were talking about ceremonializing a commitment. Apparently he think the atheist experience of a 10 year old demonstrates that youngsters are ready to decide on Christian commitment.

I think thats a stretch.
14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven

When I was 10 I knew what communion was and I wanted it. It knew it was the body and blood of Jesus Christ the Son of God and by eating and drinking it, I was taking Christ into my being. The children in my childhood church learned about that at a very very young age and were free to take it. They baptized whoever WANTED it.

Of course this child didn't want it and neither did his parents which is a total violation of all of there rights and negates the validity of the baptism.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I guess they don't. I tend to agree with not having children get baptized. I don't believe they are ready to make such a serious commitment.
It doesn't require a commitment to invite God into your heart

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Did you miss my point "Hey, I want you to spend time with my son but don't influence him now"? (I did missed his age)
It's like a Christian teacher (retired now) years ago that said she became a teacher to make a good impact on children yet that's forbidden now.
Forced baptism is your idea of "influence"?

Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟100,814.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged

That's all well and good..... but there's a big difference between "i'm an influence" / "free babysitter" and forcibly holding an autistic kid under water. Even if the parents were lazy and terrible, nothing justifies taking it into your own hands literally to force a religious ceremony on a child that may not fully understand and who didn't want it to happen. You can be a Christian AND an influence on children for good in a public position without deciding (on your own) to baptize them no matter what. You can even be a good Christian influence on children AND respect their decisions about faith. Love , joy , peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There are no laws against showing/modeling these things.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Or a family was having issues, and decided to let their child have a big brother. Meaning they would take him to movies and the park. And not try to drown him in to a churches baptism.. I watch many children, that had parents. That were drug addict and couldn't care for their children. And I never forced their children to be baptized in my none Christian church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One difference is Satanic Black Mass represent evil. It like skulls are usually a bad sign.
Or it represents a believe Christian religions are wrong. So they worship Satin.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think the Baha'i faith also has no history of such behaviour, but that might just be because they never had the opportunity.

Baha'u'llah revealed that "Jihad" or Holy War has been stricken from the Book... in His words:

"the law of holy war hath been blotted out from the
Book".

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 241)

Baha'is also are encouraged to take a non-combatant role if drafted into military service.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The title of the article said he's autistic but the mother said he has 'autistic tendencies.' The spectrum of autism is very vast and wide - that could mean he's so mildly autistic that he is fully functional and tests only show the possibility.

Even so, the group should NEVER have baptized a child against the parent's wishes. I would have been enraged.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm amazed anyone would be okay with someone baptizing someone else's kid. Behind the parents backs. But the ones that are okay with it. Wouldn't be okay if this happened to their kids. We don't even know if this church is a cult. But it's okay anyways. Since these parents must be bad or non church goers . Or Nonbelievers shouldn't care if this sort of stuff happen behind their back.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0