Parents sue after their special needs son is 'forcibly' baptized against their wishes

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"An eleven-year-old boy was baptized in Geauga County’s Morning Star Friends Church, and his parents want criminal charges to be filed against not only the church, but his mentor from the local Big Brothers Big Sisters chapter as well.

April Defibaugh says her son has “autistic tendencies” and doesn’t process things as quickly as other children his age, and this makes his baptism an assault that has given him recurring nightmares."

From the lawsuit: "despite explicit instructions from the DeFibaughs to refrain from religious activities with V, Guarnero would frequently discuss religion with V. On August 28, 2016, Guarnero took V to a picnic at his church, the Morning Star Friends Church in Chardon, and, along with the church pastor, Matthew Chesnes, forcibly baptized V, pushing him under water."

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If the person doesn't believe and has no interest in commit their life to Christ, they aren't being baptized, they're just being dunked into water.
Totally agree.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If the person doesn't believe and has no interest in commit their life to Christ, they aren't being baptized, they're just being dunked into water.
Oh.

I thought it was normal practice to baptize children...?

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh.

I thought it was normal practice to baptize children...?

It is still common practice in many churches to baptize infants, but it is not something I agree with even though I am in one of those churches. In all of those churches, there's also Confirmation, where the children make a cognitive, adult, and intentional affirmation and such of their faith. It's generally done in early adolescence.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always love when nonbelievers claim God is not real and its all fake and we are all unintelligent people for believing such nonsense. And yet their son gets baptized and they freak out. If Gods not real then why are you so mad over something that doesn't even matter and is fake? Granted they are saying he was forced and what not and I understand.

Still my point remains its funny how many get offended by God and spend their days hating God despite the fact they say Hes not real. They spend an awful lot of time hating someone who doesn't exist. ^_^

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It is still common practice in many churches to baptize infants, but it is not something I agree with even though I am in one of those churches. In all of those churches, there's also Confirmation, where the children make a cognitive, adult, and intentional affirmation and such of their faith. It's generally done in early adolescence.
I see.

But there's an interesting contradiction in the part I highlighted.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I always love when nonbelievers claim God is not real and its all fake and we are all unintelligent people for believing such nonsense. And yet their son gets baptized and they freak out. If Gods not real then why are you so mad over something that doesn't even matter and is fake? Granted they are saying he was forced and what not and I understand.
Would you like if I dunked your kid (special needs or not) underwater against his will, without him even knowing what's going on or why? I don't think I need to attach any magical reasons to it for you to see why that's wrong, do I?

Still my point remains its funny how many get offended by God and spend their days hating God despite the fact they say Hes not real. They spend an awful lot of time hating someone who doesn't exist. ^_^
I don't know if God exists or not but the people who believe in him do exist and the effects of their beliefs on society are very real and that's what some people resent.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I see.

But there's an interesting contradiction in the part I highlighted.

You don't think children around ages 12 or so are old enough to decide? It's not always that young, when I was received, there was a senior in high school being confirmed that had grown up in the church.

Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I can't help but wonder whether your reaction would be the same if it wasn't a baptism but an aqiqah ceremony.

Generally speaking it's considered rude to inflict initiation ceremonies of your religion, regardless of what it is, to other people's children.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't hate someone who doesn't exist, I hate some of the idiocy at best or downright evil at worst of people based on what they think their god wants.

• Winner
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Official policy of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is that the local authorities must have the permission of at least one biological parent before a minor can be baptized. If the biological parents cannot be contacted or the biological parents both refuse, then baptism cannot officially be performed until such time as the person is a legal adult (aged 18+).

This seems like such a sufficiently common-sense approach that one wonders why other religious groups don't have it as a standard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
They make an adult decision in early adolescence? That's quite the feat. I don't think most people make their first adult decision before turning 25.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

This is obviously because all atheists believe in their heart of hearts that the christian god exists, but they don't want to change their sinfull lifestyles.

Upvote 0

xpower

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
✟105,003.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They make an adult decision in early adolescence? That's quite the feat. I don't think most people make their first adult decision before turning 25.
I have heard some atheist people say they choose to be atheist before they were 10.

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Did you actually read the story before going off on this rant?

Upvote 0