• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

3. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Pain meds and Bi-Polar disorder

Discussion in 'Bipolar Disorder' started by JudyB1169, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JudyB1169

JudyB1169 Senior Member

+165
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I was wondering if Narcotic pain medication when taken over several years time can contribute to or cause Manic-Depression? My mother has exhibited signs of Bi-Polar disorder for the past four years or so. She has taken pain meds for chronic pain for the past 17 years. I believe she really needs the meds to function, but not if they are adversely affecting her mental health! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It should be noted that mental illness does run on her side of our extended family. She had a mentally ill aunt who committed suicide several decades ago.:sigh:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Alive again

Alive again A daughter of the King of Kings!

+527
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Though narcotic pain meds impact dopamine and other neurotransmitters (thus the high and addictive natures of these meds), I do not know of anything saying these are causative or contributory-(just may not be known yet)-but often those with untreated mental illness may "self-medicate" with alcohol or drugs.

3. madison1101

madison1101 Senior Veteran

+253
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Mental illness and drug addiction can co-occur in patients, and often the drugs will either mask or exacerbate the underlying mental illness. So, it could be that our mom was already predisposed to being ill.

I would strongly urge she get evaluated by a psychiatrist.

Trish

4. JudyB1169

JudyB1169 Senior Member

+165
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    She is currently in-patient at a Psychiatric hospital, but she is STRONGLY opposed to treatment for mental illness or depression. So, it's a terribly sticky situation for those of us who care for her. Please keep Susan in your prayers. This is the second time this year she has needed hospitalization for manic-like behavior. :(

5. madison1101

+253
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    What do the psychiatrists at the hospital say is wrong with your Mother? I work in a psychiatric hospital, and most of my patients have no problem with being there or being diagnosed. The only ones who really protest are those who are really acting out and out of control, and feel that they are the victims.

Hang in there.

Trish

6. JudyB1169

JudyB1169 Senior Member

+165
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    She was just admitted last night. So, we don't know. We haven't been able to meet up with her DR. We do know her Potassium and Magnesium levels are rather low, but that's it at this point. You are describing my mom perfectly. She says it is her family that is making her ill and put her there. I know I should filter what I hear from her, but it's hard to do. I know she isn't really aware of what she is saying.

7. DoubtingThomas29

DoubtingThomas29 Senior Member

+72
    Atheist
    Single
    I hope your mother will have a speedy recovery!

8. Jeshu

Jeshu Bought by His Blood Supporter

+5,021
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    I know it is hard - I blamed my family as well at first - but God's Loving Truth saved me in The End - my family loved me - but I didn't love myself.

Please make every effort to love and be close to your mum through this hellish time.

God will give you what you need - simply ask, trust and go!

:wave:

9. madison1101

+253
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    This is a time when you must stick to the Truth concerning your relationship with your mother. A sane, rational person does not say mean and hurtful things to their child. Your mother is in a psychiatric institution, and is obviously not in her right mind. Therefore, you must try to ignore her irrational word and behavior and remember the Truth of your relationship from when she was not sick. Love her and forgive her, and try to look at her through Jesus' eyes.

Hugs,
    Trish

10. JudyB1169

JudyB1169 Senior Member

+165
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I do try and I know she loves me and my stepdad in spite of her verbal cruelty. It would be simpler to me if she knew the Lord. She thinks she is being punished for some reason unknown to her. I tell her it isn't true. She has had a hard life and perhaps it is catching up with her mentally and emotionally. We(my dad and I) are STILL awaiting for a consult with the doctor). Several calls to his service have gone unreturned. It's all so frustrating and upsetting. She wants to come home, but Monday night would be the earliest that she could legally be released, unless the doctor revokes the Baker Act(not likely, at this point, since has hasn't bothered to even talk to us about this!!!) Thanks for the encouragement and prayers. They are desparately needed and deeply appreciated.

11. Alive again

Alive again A daughter of the King of Kings!

+527
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Continuing to pray for you and your stepdad and mother.

12. EbonNelumbo

EbonNelumbo Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle Supporter

+702
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Never heard of it. I am on a regular Rx of Vicodin for a knee problem and back problem and while I have bipolar I don't think it contributed. Good analysis though :)

13. texannurse

texannurse Senior Member

+54
    Catholic
    US-Republican
    Praying for your mom! I too have had experience with patients with psychiatric diagnoses and i agree with Madison - hoping and praying you can have the patience and love you need to help her and your dad and YOU through this! TN

14. JudyB1169

JudyB1169 Senior Member

+165
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Thank you all for your prayers. This thread can be closed now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.