Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Just though this was a decent idea for a light-hearted thread.

Anyone here use Ubuntu? Or have had experiences with it/Linux?

I had messed around with a number of Ubuntu and I think one or two other Linux distributions two years or so ago, booting via a USB drive.
I really liked the Lightweight Lubuntu and Xubuntu variants, of which I eventually settled on Xubuntu.

Several days ago I finally installed it alongside Windows 7.
Wasn't an easy process, and had a few scares, but it all works fine now.
I am still pretty naive when it comes to Ubuntu/Linux, so any tips would be appreciated. :)

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
You really need to get out more.

;)
A lot of people tell me that.
Then they go out, and aren't my problem any more.

Haven't used any UNIX in a long time and despite anything Microsoft being the work of the devil, I'm afraid I've been assimilated.
Ah, but Windows 10 is going to fix everything, you'll see.

The Windows monopoly needs to end, but I can't see that being a practical outcome unless cross-OS standards are put in place for just about everything.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I use ChaletOS which is a varient of Xbuntu and I must say I really like it, though I changed the look a bit. Here is a screenshot of how is looks default:

wa0fn8.png

Reactions: Genersis
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
A lot of people tell me that.
Then they go out, and aren't my problem any more.

Ah, but Windows 10 is going to fix everything, you'll see.

The Windows monopoly needs to end, but I can't see that being a practical outcome unless cross-OS standards are put in place for just about everything.

Windows is still big in the Enterprise. Companies with hundreds and thousands of users are not going to use Linux on the client side and on the Server end Active Directory is proven and true.

Linux is good for web servers but definitely not a Domain controller.

Here is a great site to learn Linux. 25 bucks a month!

https://linuxacademy.com

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Install Icloak, Openphp and TOR for linux.

Go darknet

Go deep, Join Anonymous, never resurface.

...a man with Linux can do anything.....
Doesn't everyone already use Tor?

I'm taking notes though.

I can't join Anonymous, I'm already a paid up member of a political party; wouldn't want to tarnish both their reputations.
Like great curry dishes, while great on their own, they should never be mixed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've tried Linux at least three times. The first time, probably a decade ago, a friend who works in IT installed OpenSUSE for me when I wound up with a computer without a good Windows install or a way to restore what was there to it's original state. I remember it took him, an expert, all night literally until 6am the next morning to try to get the Ethernet port working, as I had dial-up Internet at the time and thus needed a phone wire in, and I don't think that even did it, I think it was a subsequent attempt.

The next time was a few years later when I decided to dual boot Ubuntu with a Windows install. By that time, I had broadband wifi, but the wifi driver that Ubuntu thought was right for my computer's wifi card was not. Took me several hours to get it up and running, and it broke on every major update. One day I spent seven hours trying to fix it without success after another update that messed it up, and then erased the Ubuntu partition.

Because I'm a slow learner, I tried again within the last year or so. That time Ubuntu worked fine (And is now purple instead of brown), but it's boot loader took over the machine and wouldn't boot Windows properly. Eventually, trying to fix that, I wound up with no boot loader and a computer that booted to a black screen. I eventually restored Windows and ditched Ubuntu again.

My feeling is that Linux is mostly for folks who enjoy tinkering with their computers a lot. I don't, so it's not for me. But if you do, and you can afford to suddenly be stuck fixing something that randomly broke when you're just trying to check the weather online or something... ;) I don't know, it's a nice concept. I like the idea of open source stuff that's highly user configurable where if you don't like what a distro (Type of Linux operating system) is doing, there is likely another distro that is doing what you want, or could be if enough talented computer people want the same thing you do. I've even seen where people don't like the changes to the Gnome Windows manager and have gone back to a prior version and gone forward in a different direction more in keeping with the way Gnome used to work, and available for all sorts of distros. There's a lot of stuff like that.

But, to be honest, at least right now if one wants to get things done with a minimum of hassles, Windows seems the most stable get-things-done type OS there is. It's good that Linux is out there so we aren't left with no choices if Windows takes a turn we don't like, but right now I think Windows is the best choice for me.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
By the way, one thing I've often thought some Linux distro should do if it really wants to get market penetration and have some consumer confidence behind it, is offer a cheap tablet or small laptop for $100 or $200 with Linux pre-installed and the developers pledging to support that specific hardware and test on it for at least five years. Then you're not dealing with wonky drivers or worrying about it messing up Windows on your main machine, you've got an inexpensive thing custom built to run Linux. I think it could fill a niche. A lot of people own, say, a Windows PC, and an Android phone with a large screen. Rather than buying a Windows tablet or an Android tablet that basically duplicate one of their main two devices, they could take a chance on an inexpensive Ubuntu tablet or something as way to inexpensively try something different with less risk.

But last I checked not only did they not have an out of the box product like that for sale that's specifically an inexpensive Ubuntu tablet, often people will say something like "Oh, you can get Ubuntu working on x brand tablet, and everything works other than the touchscreen.". The touchscreen is kind of important on a tablet. ;)

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I've tried Linux at least three times. The first time, probably a decade ago, a friend who works in IT installed OpenSUSE for me when I wound up with a computer without a good Windows install or a way to restore what was there to it's original state. I remember it took him, an expert, all night literally until 6am the next morning to try to get the Ethernet port working, as I had dial-up Internet at the time and thus needed a phone wire in, and I don't think that even did it, I think it was a subsequent attempt.

The next time was a few years later when I decided to dual boot Ubuntu with a Windows install. By that time, I had broadband wifi, but the wifi driver that Ubuntu thought was right for my computer's wifi card was not. Took me several hours to get it up and running, and it broke on every major update. One day I spent seven hours trying to fix it without success after another update that messed it up, and then erased the Ubuntu partition.
Ah, driver issues.
I hear things are generally a lot better now on that front, but it's still a significant problem compared to PC and Mac.

Because I'm a slow learner, I tried again within the last year or so. That time Ubuntu worked fine (And is now purple instead of brown), but it's boot loader took over the machine and wouldn't boot Windows properly. Eventually, trying to fix that, I wound up with no boot loader and a computer that booted to a black screen. I eventually restored Windows and ditched Ubuntu again.
I had that problem the first time I installed Xubuntu.

The second time I tried, GRUB bootloader failed to install(likely due to the first installation attempt).
At which point I booted Xubuntu via USB, uninstalled and reinstalled GRUB, then Xubuntu was working, but no Windows option on the GRUB bootloader menu, then it took me longer than it should have to find out that I just had to tell GRUB via the terminal to update its info on my system's partitions.
Now it all works fine and dandy. All due to dumb luck, obviously.

My feeling is that Linux is mostly for folks who enjoy tinkering with their computers a lot. I don't, so it's not for me. But if you do, and you can afford to suddenly be stuck fixing something that randomly broke when you're just trying to check the weather online or something... ;) I don't know, it's a nice concept. I like the idea of open source stuff that's highly user configurable where if you don't like what a distro (Type of Linux operating system) is doing, there is likely another distro that is doing what you want, or could be if enough talented computer people want the same thing you do. I've even seen where people don't like the changes to the Gnome Windows manager and have gone back to a prior version and gone forward in a different direction more in keeping with the way Gnome used to work, and available for all sorts of distros. There's a lot of stuff like that.

But, to be honest, at least right now if one wants to get things done with a minimum of hassles, Windows seems the most stable get-things-done type OS there is. It's good that Linux is out there so we aren't left with no choices if Windows takes a turn we don't like, but right now I think Windows is the best choice for me.
Yeah, I have to agree there.

By the way, one thing I've often thought some Linux distro should do if it really wants to get market penetration and have some consumer confidence behind it, is offer a cheap tablet or small laptop for $100 or $200 with Linux pre-installed and the developers pledging to support that specific hardware and test on it for at least five years. Then you're not dealing with wonky drivers or worrying about it messing up Windows on your main machine, you've got an inexpensive thing custom built to run Linux. I think it could fill a niche. A lot of people own, say, a Windows PC, and an Android phone with a large screen. Rather than buying a Windows tablet or an Android tablet that basically duplicate one of their main two devices, they could take a chance on an inexpensive Ubuntu tablet or something as way to inexpensively try something different with less risk.

But last I checked not only did they not have an out of the box product like that for sale that's specifically an inexpensive Ubuntu tablet, often people will say something like "Oh, you can get Ubuntu working on x brand tablet, and everything works other than the touchscreen.". The touchscreen is kind of important on a tablet. ;)
Well, Canonical do seem to have plans for tablets and smartphones with their Ubuntu Touch work.
I think it was only a few months ago that their first consumer market phone was released.(I think it was in partnership with Meizu.)
It's not a bad idea, with Android being Linux based I think that should make a desktop to tablet transition a little easier for a big Linux company wanting to make the jump(though perhaps Canonical is the only one big enough).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Ah, driver issues.
I hear things are generally a lot better now on that front, but it's still a significant problem compared to PC and Mac.

I had that problem the first time I installed Xubuntu.

The second time I tried, GRUB bootloader failed to install(likely due to the first installation attempt).
At which point I booted Xubuntu via USB, uninstalled and reinstalled GRUB, then Xubuntu was working, but no Windows option on the GRUB bootloader menu, then it took me longer than it should have to find out that I just had to tell GRUB via the terminal to update its info on my system's partitions.
Now it all works fine and dandy. All due to dumb luck, obviously.

Yeah, I have to agree there.

Well, Canonical do seem to have plans for tablets and smartphones with their Ubuntu Touch work.
I think it was only a few months ago that their first consumer market phone was released.(I think it was in partnership with Meizu.)
It's not a bad idea, with Android being Linux based I think that should make a desktop to tablet transition a little easier for a big Linux company wanting to make the jump(though perhaps Canonical is the only one big enough).

I remember back in the day when windows had "plug and pray" lol
But Windows now has very very few driver issues. Thry are truly plug and play.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I remember back in the day when windows had "plug and pray" lol
But Windows now has very very few driver issues. Thry are truly plug and play.
What I remember is requiring driver discs for pretty much every thing, usually also containing some "helpful" bloatware that's completely unnecessary.
Printers seem to be one of the few easily changed bits of hardware that still need dedicated drivers installed from CD. Then again, printers still seem stuck in the early 2000's in most respects.

Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
What I remember is requiring driver discs for pretty much every thing, usually also containing some "helpful" bloatware that's completely unnecessary.
Printers seem to be one of the few easily changed bits of hardware that still need dedicated drivers installed from CD. Then again, printers still seem stuck in the early 2000's in most respects.

In remember installing Windows With multiple floppy discs. If one thing wentbwrong , you were screwed.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Just though this was a decent idea for a light-hearted thread.

Anyone here use Ubuntu? Or have had experiences with it/Linux?

I had messed around with a number of Ubuntu and I think one or two other Linux distributions two years or so ago, booting via a USB drive.
I really liked the Lightweight Lubuntu and Xubuntu variants, of which I eventually settled on Xubuntu.

Several days ago I finally installed it alongside Windows 7.
Wasn't an easy process, and had a few scares, but it all works fine now.
I am still pretty naive when it comes to Ubuntu/Linux, so any tips would be appreciated. :)
I have used Linux since the late 1990s.

Anyways, installs now are pretty painless and safe. What are you wanting to use it for?

Upvote 0