Status
Not open for further replies.

On_Fire_For_God007

Jun 10, 2005
So Cal
✟850.00
Faith
Christian
ok looky im barley 14 right now but i know people in the military and stuff and they tell me all this stuff about what the experience has done for them. I was thinking about joining either the air force (which is the one that i really want to do) the army or the navy. My mom doesnt like that but i think its something i should do. What advice or opinions would you (the people who have either experienced it or know a loved one who has) give to someone like me? please i really want to know different ones. Thanks. God bless. late:wave:

SH89

Sola scriptura
Aug 7, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Visit site
✟17,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
On_Fire_For_God007 said:
ok looky im barley 14 right now but i know people in the military and stuff and they tell me all this stuff about what the experience has done for them. I was thinking about joining either the air force (which is the one that i really want to do) the army or the navy. My mom doesnt like that but i think its something i should do. What advice or opinions would you (the people who have either experienced it or know a loved one who has) give to someone like me? please i really want to know different ones. Thanks. God bless. late:wave:

Hello On_Fire_For_God007, :wave:

(Note:According to your profile, you're currently living in California, but your country icon is Mexico. You might want to change that for clarity).

Anyway, there are tons of jobs in the U.S. military for you to pursue . You can almost do and become anything in the military-from a cook, nurse, lawyer, pilot, navigator,dentist,etc. . .

You also need to make the decision of either entering the military as an officer or as an enlisted man(or woman, in your case).

Do you have any specific questions? Also, what do you want to do in the military?

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends on what you want to get while in the military. These are my experiences, and I don't mean to slight anyone by the below, but here is my take on the 4 main branches:

The USMC is the tops when it comes to discipline, toughness and personal pride. They are last in equipment and facilities, though. Great deployment locations, and lots of travel. Every Marine is a soldier (sorry, but there's no other term) first. (They hate being called soldiers, but saying they are Marines first doesn't get the point across.)

The USA is great for leadership and managerial development for both enlisted and officer. Their locations tend to be the worst, though, but that is where all the money is going since they are getting all the press in the current war. (It changes from war-to-war because the USAF got all the money for a while after Desert Storm).

The USN has awesome base locations, and lots of travel. This is the branch where you will get the most technical training. Bases are very spartan because their money goes in their ships.

The USAF has decent locations for bases and the best base accommodations. This is where the high tech toys go most often, but the chances of getting to take them out for a spin is the lowest, since there are not as many operators in the USAF as there are in the other branches. This is the most civilian-like of the branches, too.

If you need any help, I'd be happy to assist. I always recommend going to college first, if you can, since you get more pay/benefits as an officer. But, the hurdle is paying for college. You're not too old to win a scholarship, though.

I can help, especially with ROTC and OTS, since I went through both.

One note, the gender barrier has been mostly broken in the USAF. We have several female aircraft commanders in my squadron, and several radar navigators (these are the two leadership positions on our 5-person aircraft...I am a radar navigator).

I have loved the USAF since I joined. I went through USA ROTC at a military school, but I decided not to commission since I would be sent to armor if I didn't make med school in my first try (I didn't). So, I tried to get in for 4 years and then started talking to the USA and USAF. The USAF said I could fly, so here I am. God has really blessed me in my work. I have had opportunities that were unbeknownst to me before I joined. They are even paying for my Masters of Divinity (seminary degree). I have done well in my career field and I enjoy flying a lot. I have not seen combat, but our platform is relatively safe when it is employed. This was a reason I asked for this airframe. I've gotten my first choice in each of my assignments.

God bless you,
Capt Dave, USAF

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
daveleau said:
The USMC is the tops when it comes to discipline, toughness and personal pride. They are last in equipment and facilities, though. Great deployment locations, and lots of travel. Every Marine is a soldier (sorry, but there's no other term) first. (They hate being called soldiers, but saying they are Marines first doesn't get the point across.)

Actually, it's "Every Marine is a Rifleman" first.;) Also, our leadership schools are by far the best I would say, but that can be discussed via another topic. :thumbsup:

Reactions: daveleau
Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Although my background is USMC/Army, one suggestion I can make is one that a lot of folks dont think about much is Coast Guard.

For the most part, you will remain in US waters but if my aging and less than navy mind remembers, the ratings and duties are very similiar to Navy (correct me if I am wrong). the only thing and for some it may be a biggie is that unless activated for a war, you are under Dept of Transportation, not DOD.

But they work hard. From rescueing weekend sailors from the northern Pacific (am from Northern CA and maybe just might know this personnally...) to gunfights with drug runners in the Carribean to monitoring shipping in the Great lakes. BUT with few exceptions, you will be stationed somewhere in US territorial waters (to include Alaska and Hawaii).

something to think about.

Reactions: Yusuf Evans
Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
justanobserver said:
Although my background is USMC/Army, one suggestion I can make is one that a lot of folks dont think about much is Coast Guard.

For the most part, you will remain in US waters but if my aging and less than navy mind remembers, the ratings and duties are very similiar to Navy (correct me if I am wrong). the only thing and for some it may be a biggie is that unless activated for a war, you are under Dept of Transportation, not DOD.

But they work hard. From rescueing weekend sailors from the northern Pacific (am from Northern CA and maybe just might know this personnally...) to gunfights with drug runners in the Carribean to monitoring shipping in the Great lakes. BUT with few exceptions, you will be stationed somewhere in US territorial waters (to include Alaska and Hawaii).

something to think about.

My fellow Royal Ranger Commander is in the Coast Guard. He works some crazy hours. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JonahII

Mar 2, 2006
✟230.00
Faith
Christian
daveleau said:
It depends on what you want to get while in the military. These are my experiences, and I don't mean to slight anyone by the below, but here is my take on the 4 main branches:

The USA is great for leadership and managerial development for both enlisted and officer. Their locations tend to be the worst, though, but that is where all the money is going since they are getting all the press in the current war. (It changes from war-to-war because the USAF got all the money for a while after Desert Storm).

The USN has awesome base locations, and lots of travel. This is the branch where you will get the most technical training. Bases are very spartan because their money goes in their ships.

The USAF has decent locations for bases and the best base accommodations. This is where the high tech toys go most often, but the chances of getting to take them out for a spin is the lowest, since there are not as many operators in the USAF as there are in the other branches. This is the most civilian-like of the branches, too.

If you need any help, I'd be happy to assist. I always recommend going to college first, if you can, since you get more pay/benefits as an officer. But, the hurdle is paying for college. You're not too old to win a scholarship, though.

I can help, especially with ROTC and OTS, since I went through both.

One note, the gender barrier has been mostly broken in the USAF. We have several female aircraft commanders in my squadron, and several radar navigators (these are the two leadership positions on our 5-person aircraft...I am a radar navigator).

I have loved the USAF since I joined. I went through USA ROTC at a military school, but I decided not to commission since I would be sent to armor if I didn't make med school in my first try (I didn't). So, I tried to get in for 4 years and then started talking to the USA and USAF. The USAF said I could fly, so here I am. God has really blessed me in my work. I have had opportunities that were unbeknownst to me before I joined. They are even paying for my Masters of Divinity (seminary degree). I have done well in my career field and I enjoy flying a lot. I have not seen combat, but our platform is relatively safe when it is employed. This was a reason I asked for this airframe. I've gotten my first choice in each of my assignments.

God bless you,
Capt Dave, USAF

Hey Capt Dave, I don't have any further advice for this young lady. You are a reminder that the Lord puts people in all walks of life in positions to serve Him and to minister to his body. He put you in the place of a military officer to serve Him and His people, in this case a 14 year old, who is looking for information and advice. God continue to bless you as you serve Him in the position of authority he has placed you.:clap:

Reactions: daveleau
Upvote 0

3girls2dogs

Catholic
Aug 15, 2005
Arizona
✟25,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
KalEl76 said:
Actually, it's "Every Marine is a Rifleman" first.;) Also, our leadership schools are by far the best I would say, but that can be discussed via another topic. :thumbsup:
Aww you beat me to it :)

USMC all the way!! j/k. Seriously, you are so young, give yourself some time :). My daughter is 16 and I want her to be a teen before she has to make a decision like that. *hugs* to you for your bravery and forward-thinking though.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Upvote 0

Trainwreck

Dec 11, 2005
✟7,722.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The problem with the USAF is that it seems like everyone joins for the supposedly nice accomodations. I am ashamed to say that I'm in the AF and I highly regret my decision to join this branch instead of, say, USMC. I went to tech school in Pensacola NAS, and I've been to Camp Pendleton (grew up near there), and their accomodations are often as good as ours and sometimes better. The housing on my base is antiquated, and is far surpassed even by some Army housing units that I've heard of.

The funny thing is, if I were doing the same job in the Marines, Army, or Navy, I would be far less proficient since they don't train their troops nearly as well in tech school or even in the operational service as we were. What really gets me is that I could go to the same deployed location as the Army or Marines, do the same job (only better), and I still get looked down upon because of my branch. What's my point? Quite simply: DON'T JOIN THE USAF. We have no pride, everyone laughs at us (even civilians), and other services don't respect us as even being part of the military. Hell they think we ride bikes for PT for some reason. Sorry if I went on a bit of a rant, but "esprit de corps" and service pride is a big deal once you're in, and is something to consider, On_Fire_For_God007.

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason they think we ride bikes for PT is because until 2 years ago, our PT test consisted of a literal bike test. We rode a stationary bike to a metronome and they checked our heart rate to determine our physical fitness. There was no 1.5 mile run, pushups, situps and waist measure as there is now.

I have seen disrespect and great respect between the forces. Each force is looked down by others in some way. Pride is in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: Yusuf Evans
Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
daveleau said:
I have seen disrespect and great respect between the forces. Each force is looked down by others in some way. Pride is in the eye of the beholder.

I use to tease my friends that were Air Force a lot when I was Army. Since I was in the infantry then, I would give them a ration about how their idea of going to the field was standing in formation on the lawn in front of the barracks....:cool:

but each branch/component does have its use and mission thats unique to them.

One thing about the Air Force I noticed when I was on their bases time to time - good lookin nurses, real good chow and the EM/NCO clubs were a lot of fun. The Transit barracks, well, seen better but at least the lawns were kept up!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WhiteWillow

Busy motherhood takes priority!
Mar 6, 2006
Orlando Fla
✟58,821.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
All good advice.Do I have any? My best friend joined the US Navy and is now stationed in Florida. I think she changed as well as matured during basic. She said alot of things that made me believe her training will be beneficial to her as she learns during her Naval training.
What do you want to do for a career? That is something to begin to think about.

Upvote 0

athomemom

Jan 18, 2006
AZ
✟15,229.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
On_Fire_For_God007 said:
Is there a JROTC progaram at your high school? If there is join it. It will help you decided what you want to do. The recruiters come in and talk to you. It teaches discipline,etiquette and if you take it 3 yrs you go in at a higher pay. My son just joined the army recently. My daugter is your age and is in the program at her school, she loves it she does color guard, she does drill meets and retirement ceremonies. She as made good friends in all grades at the school. There is a great unity is these classes. She like you is thinking about joining the AF or Navy. She wants to be a nurse. Biggest thing is though Pray on it!!

Upvote 0

SH89

Sola scriptura
Aug 7, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Visit site
✟17,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trainwreck said:
The funny thing is, if I were doing the same job in the Marines, Army, or Navy, I would be far less proficient since they don't train their troops nearly as well in tech school or even in the operational service as we were. What really gets me is that I could go to the same deployed location as the Army or Marines, do the same job (only better), and I still get looked down upon because of my branch. What's my point? Quite simply: DON'T JOIN THE USAF. We have no pride, everyone laughs at us (even civilians), and other services don't respect us as even being part of the military. Hell they think we ride bikes for PT for some reason. Sorry if I went on a bit of a rant, but "esprit de corps" and service pride is a big deal once you're in, and is something to consider, On_Fire_For_God007.

I post at a Naval Aviation site(airwarriors.com), and most of the Naval pilots on the site constantly bash the Air Force. They feel that the Air Force is too "easy," that pilots run the Air Force, and that commanding officers do not care about their troops. The Naval aviators also claim that the Air Force is basically a flying club.

Obviously, it's a naval aviation site, so you don't believe 90% of the things that they say about the Air Force. However, they constantly bash the Air Force, and they even gave me a hard time when I asked why I shouldn't join the Air Force.

Upvote 0

ONEGod

Feb 19, 2006
✟8,448.00
Faith
Christian
Had i to do my service time over, the Air Force would be my first choice. As someone mentioned the better training/education, those that can't cut it obviously go to a different branch of the service.
Rivalry has been going on in the branches of the service since their beginnings. Take pride in your choice and learn to take other branches criticisms with a grain of salt. It's the way the game is played.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
ONEGod said:
Had i to do my service time over, the Air Force would be my first choice. As someone mentioned the better training/education, those that can't cut it obviously go to a different branch of the service.
Rivalry has been going on in the branches of the service since their beginnings. Take pride in your choice and learn to take other branches criticisms with a grain of salt. It's the way the game is played.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :doh: I'm going to let this whole post go without typing a response.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.