Chicago
✟56,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, he prolonged the Vietnam War by sabotaging LBJ's negotiations. This is established fact now.

It's a shame he used that knowledge for crooked ends at times.
There are historians who disagree with the claim that Nixon deliberately prolonged the Vietnam War. Here is one:

"The undisputed fact is there was no chance for a peace agreement in 1968 which would have been accepted by any American president.
And Le Duan, the general secretary of the Communist Party in North Vietnam and the real power in Hanoi, would not have settled for anything less than a unilateral American withdrawal from South Vietnam while simultaneously toppling the South Vietnamese regime of President Nguyen Van Thieu."

so it is not an "established fact" that Nixon "sabotaged LBJ's peace talks" --that is a left-wing media narrative. The truth is a lot more complicated

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There are historians who disagree with the claim that Nixon deliberately prolonged the Vietnam War. Here is one:

"The undisputed fact is there was no chance for a peace agreement in 1968 which would have been accepted by any American president.
And Le Duan, the general secretary of the Communist Party in North Vietnam and the real power in Hanoi, would not have settled for anything less than a unilateral American withdrawal from South Vietnam while simultaneously toppling the South Vietnamese regime of President Nguyen Van Thieu."

so it is not an "established fact" that Nixon "sabotaged LBJ's peace talks" --that is a left-wing media narrative.
It's so left-wing, George Will wrote about it!

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
By accepting the pardon, he was admitting guilt. This per a SCOTUS ruling, which is why Ford pardoned Nixon -- it established guilt.
Yes, he refused to take the advice of Gov Connelly when he advised Nixon to burn the tapes.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Who had a gun in his boot at the time, having been given a pass on the search!
I read some declassified documents years ago; and if I remember correctly, Nixon gave him a badge and a gun, and made Elvis an honorary agent for the FBI; because Elvis convinced Nixon that he could find druggies to arrest.

The irony is astounding.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I read some declassified documents years ago; and if I remember correctly, Nixon gave him a badge and a gun, and made Elvis an honorary agent for the FBI; because Elvis convinced Nixon that he could find druggies to arrest.

The irony is astounding.
Truth is certainly stranger than fiction in this case.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Oh man! To be a fly on the wall foe the conversation.

Lol!

Upvote 0