Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been thinking about pursuing the Lay Cistercians for a while now, the Trappist monastery near me is affiliated with the International Association of Lay Cistercians and just admitted one of their first, who happens to be a friend of mine whom I know because she was one of my catechists in RCIA. I have a vague understanding of Cistercian spirituality and that it largely revolves around contemplative prayer, but I want to learn more about what it looks like applied to the life of a layman.

I'm curious if my friends here have any opinion on the value of Cistercian spirituality or third orders in general.

Reactions: WarriorAngel

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I ran across this:

What the Lay Cistercians Live

In spite of considerable differences in the way they function, the Cistercian values chosen by all the groups of Lay Cistercians are pretty much the same. They are the ones already mentioned in the letter of the Lay people to the General Chapters of 2002, that is, lectio divina, personal and liturgical prayer, simplicity of life, interior silence and contemplation, work as a way to holiness.

The Cistercian life being essentially cenobitic, there is a certain consensus that, in order to be considered a “Lay Cistercian” it is not enough to be individually attached or connected to a community of monks or nuns nor to live a life inspired by the Cistercian spirituality or tradition alone in the world. One must belong to a group of Lay Cistercians. According to the sensitivities proper to each linguistic area, some spontaneously call these groups “communities”; others prefer the name “fraternity”; others hold to the more neutral term of “groups”. Probably this is simply a difference in cultural sensitivity. In certain cultural contexts the name of “community” is given to every group of persons who have a profound relationship and above all have a mutual care for one another whether they live together or not or even in the same place. In other cultural environments the name of community is reserved for groups of persons living together under the same roof.

Some of these groups are limited to occasional meetings for prayer and sharing, in general at the monastery with a nun or monk. Others place a much stronger accent on teaching given either by other members of the group or the monastic community. Some even have an elaborate process of discernment of “vocations”, of formation and introduction into the group. For others everything is much simpler

A more important question is that of association with a community of monks or nuns. For the great majority of groups this association is considered as essential. Thus they are organized in reference to the situation of the monks or nuns. No monk or nun is attached to the Order if it is not through a local community. If the lay people want to be recognized as “Cistercians”, this can only happen through their connection with a Cistercian community. But for some this connection is not essential. The lay community is itself considered to be Cistercian because of what it lives. Thus, it can itself engender other communities of lay Cistercians or amalgamate them. You can already see here the question of timeliness – or not – of an official “recognition”.

• Winner
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Cistercians are a Benedictine reform movement which desired a greater fidelity to the Rule and a more strict or austere way of life. Effectively they are conservative Benedictines. Generally I would not advise inquirers to read abstractly when it comes to monastic communities. It is better to visit and spend time with them to understand their way of life. This is because the spirituality and the way of life can differ drastically from one monastic community to another, even though they belong to the same Order.

If you do want to do more abstract research I would recommend looking at the particular branch of Cistercians that your monastery belongs to, along with the motherhouse, etc.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been thinking about pursuing the Lay Cistercians for a while now, the Trappist monastery near me is affiliated with the International Association of Lay Cistercians and just admitted one of their first, who happens to be a friend of mine whom I know because she was one of my catechists in RCIA. I have a vague understanding of Cistercian spirituality and that it largely revolves around contemplative prayer, but I want to learn more about what it looks like applied to the life of a layman.

I'm curious if my friends here have any opinion on the value of Cistercian spirituality or third orders in general.
I have been a Benedictine oblate for many years now.
It is a very blessed thing, to be associated with a monastery in this special way.

Benedictine oblates are not classified as "third order", but rather ...

Who Are Oblates?​

Benedictine Oblates are lay persons who associate themselves with a Benedictine monastic community to share in their search for God. Oblates strive to incorporate Benedictine values and spirituality into their everyday lives, incorporating the Divine Office and reflection on Scripture as they are able. They do not live in a religious community or take vows.

Maybe some persons explore these opportunities out of curiosity.
For me, being an oblate is a "calling" ... I think for many, it is.

If you decide you are genuinely interested in something like a third order vocation, it would be wisest to schedule some time visiting the monastery you are interested in associating with. Like maybe a weekend retreat, etc. Get to know them, their charisms, and let the Lord show you if He would have you chose this spiritual path for your life.

... also, since you are married, it would naturally be wise to include your wife in the prayer and decision-making process on becoming third order, or an oblate, since how you live out your spiritual life will also impact her. You will want to have her support.

God bless.

• Winner
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My wife and myself are Discalced Carmelites, Secular. OCDS. This is essentially a
third order and once was called a third order. However, being many clergy belong
to the third order, they added the word, "secular," in order to distinquish between
lay and clergy members.

St Pope John Paul II, was a third order Discalced Carmelite.

The OCDS are the only order that members may make vows of obedience and poverty.

My wife and myself still follow the OCDS Constitution, which also was changed from
"Rule of Life," to Constitution. Not sure why that happened.

The Lay Cistercians are part of the Trappist Monastery near me. I have made retreats there
and have often gone for Vespers and Benediction on Sunday Evenings. They're not as structured
as the OCDS are. I asked my wife about joining the Lay Cistercians, but being my wife and myself
are able to live our Carmelite Spirituality where we are, there's no need.

Upvote 0