• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Opinion poll: Is it acceptable behavior to mock Biden’s stutter?

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by hislegacy, Mar 20, 2021.

Is it ok to mock Biden’s stutter

1. I am a Democrat: yes

2. I am a Democrat: no

3. I am a Republican: yes

4. I am a Republican: no

5. I am other than Republican/Democrat: Yes

6. I am other than Republican/Democrat: no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leet

Leet Active Member

+400
    Australia
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Gabble on about the mechanics of the brain all you like, the fact remains: some things are CHOICES and others are not.

2. Andrewn

Andrewn Well-Known Member CF Ambassadors Supporter

+2,618
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    Yes, and Trump for his short ungrammatical sentences that show no evidence of education. Biden has always been gaffe-prone and will not stop now.

But only someone like Trump would make fun of a person's disability, in this case stutter, and even try to overturn the government.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  3. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,687
    Christian
    Married
    Search you heart, brother.

My mom often said that those who point a finger ... have THREE fingers pointing back at them ...

4. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+7,917
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    [​IMG]
    Televison reality actor mocking a person with a physical disability.

5. The Barbarian

+7,917
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    One can chose what one says. And this cuts to something important. If Trump is competent in the sense of being able to handle his own affairs, then he's responsible for his behaviors. If, as some evidence indicates, he's becoming senile, maybe he's not responsible for some of his behaviors.

6. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,048
    Anglican
    Married
    IS this, in fact, a real issue? How often does someone make fun of Biden's alleged stutter? Not very often.

However, people who are forced to scramble in order to find a way to excuse Biden's gaffes, forgetfulness, mumbling, downright lies and misstatements, etc. are the ones mainly talking about his having had a stutter. It's about the only alibi that is available to them.

7. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli But you can call me Captain Staff Member Trainee Supporter

+3,926
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    So you believe in Free Will...

8. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,340
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Not a comedian.

9. The Barbarian

+7,917
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Not intentionally. But an endless source of material for other comedians.

10. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,340
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I agree. Why did the OP start the thread?

Why do you have a hard time admitting that Biden does stutter?

11. The Barbarian

+7,917
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I always wonder, when Trump supporters trot out that story, how they explain Biden mopping the floor with Trump in a series of debates.

Seem like they can't decide whether Biden is dumb or fiendishly clever.

At least, you'd think they'd avoid playing both stories the same day.

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,048
    Anglican
    Married
    I expect that he sees the matter differently from the way we view it.

13. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli But you can call me Captain Staff Member Trainee Supporter

+3,926
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Are you sure..?

"Philosophers have long debated whether, if determinism is true, we should hold people morally responsible for their actions since in a deterministic universe, people are arguably not the ultimate source of their actions nor could they have done otherwise if initial conditions and the laws of nature are held fixed."
    For Whom Does Determinism Undermine Moral Responsibility? Surveying the Conditions for Free Will Across Cultures

14. A_Thinker

+7,687
    Christian
    Married
    Compared to Trump (which is fair) ... Biden is a saint ...

15. A_Thinker

+7,687
    Christian
    Married
    To be honest, ... he was fairly (inappropriately) comedic ...

16. The Barbarian

+7,917
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    And Biden has no evidence of cognitive decline as Trump was showing.

17. The Barbarian

+7,917
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    If absolute determinism is true, no one is responsible for anything. We're all robots, convinced we actually have motives and feelings, and can decide things. However, punishment certainly does reduce behaviors we find unacceptable. So from a deterministic POV, it's sensible to hold people responsible for what they do.

Seems like a rock and a hard place. B.F. Skinner's idea that consciousness is an illusion has been punctured again, and again.

It's not just psychology. Ethology has shown that the naive notion of animal activity being merely a matter of stimulus and response, is completely wrong, and can only give you an approximate idea of what's really happening. A piece of the reality, but not the reality itself:

For as long as human beings can remember, they have always been interested in what makes them who they are and what aspects of their being set each of them apart from others of their species. The answer according to behaviorists is nothing more than the world in which they grew up. Behaviorism is the theory that human nature can be fully understood by the laws inherent in the natural environment.

As one of the oldest theories of personality, behaviorism dates back to Descartes, who introduced the idea of a stimulus and called the person a machine dependent on external events whose soul was the ghost in the machine. Behaviorism takes this idea to another level. Although most theories operate to some degree on the assumption that humans have some sort of free will and are moral thinking entities, behaviorism refuses to acknowledge the internal workings of persons. In the mind of the behaviorist, persons are nothing more than simple mediators between behavior and the environment (Skinner, 1993, p 428).

The dismissal of the internal workings of human beings leads to one problem opponents have with the behavioral theory. This, along with its incapability of explaining the human phenomenon of language and memory, build a convincing case against behaviorism as a comprehensive theory. Yet although these criticisms indicate its comprehensive failure, they do not deny that behaviorism and its ideas have much to teach the world about the particular behaviors expressed by humankind.
    Behaviorism: A Critical Look

18. Rachel20

Rachel20 Well-Known Member

+801
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The way is narrow - what's acceptable for the world, isn't always acceptable for Christians (who are supposed to be known by their love).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. hislegacy

hislegacy At the great Pyramids

+9,926
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    please note. This was debunked five years ago. I have posted the information showing the accusation as false more than a dozen times.

20. The Barbarian

+7,917
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Nope. It was denied five years ago. But it's on video,and there's really no way to deny. And we know he knew he was caught, because the next thing he tried after denial, was that he didn't even know the reporter.

That was a lie, too. And he made fun of the reporter to cover up another lie, and...

Donald Trump said he couldn’t have been making fun of a reporter’s disability because he doesn’t know the man. Not so, says the reporter.

Serge Kovaleski of The New York Times says he has met Trump repeatedly, interviewing him in his office and talking to him at news conferences, when he worked for the New York Daily News in the late 1980s. “Donald and I were on a first-name basis for years,” he said in a Times story about the Republican presidential candidate’s behavior at a rally in South Carolina last week.

Onstage Tuesday, a mocking Trump flailed his arms in an apparent attempt to imitate mannerisms of the “poor guy.” He accused Kovaleski of backing off a story from a week after the 9/11 attacks that said authorities in New Jersey detained and questioned “a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks.” Kovaleski then worked for The Washington Post.

Trump cites the story as proof of his claim that “thousands” of Muslims in New Jersey celebrated the devastation across the river. But the story did not suggest “thousands” were observed celebrating or that the reports of such a scene were true. Other accounts from that time concluded the allegations were unfounded.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article46635090.html#storylink=cpy

As my Mom used to say, the problem with lying to get out of trouble, is you have to lie to cover the first one and then another to cover that and...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.