• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Online Bible vs Physical Bible

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by JohnB445, Feb 26, 2020.

1. JohnB445

JohnB445 Well-Known Member

+695
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    What is being missed when using an online Bible?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+1,576
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    paper cuts

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. lismore

lismore Legend

+2,198
    Christian
    Single
    Who owns the bible Apps?

4. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+5,286
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    I use Bible gateway. (When i read scripture)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Athanasius377

Athanasius377 Is a little right of Atilla the Hun Supporter

+1,184
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Nothing. Except the smell and feel of a good worn Bible. It’s personal preference.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+4,117
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    I find the hardcopy affords more sense of context. I know how far into the Bible I am, I know what went immediately before and what will come next.

But the advantages of the electronic are vast - search, enlarge font, change colors, add versions, run them in parallel, inline Strong's numbers and linked original language dictionaries, synchronized commentaries, etc.

I use BlueLetterBible's search function often, as it accepts expressions, and I like BibleGateways ability to see the verse in all English versions. But most of my time is spent not online, but in a desktop program, theWord.net, which is free.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,501
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I don't think I've read a paper bible in twenty years. I've gotten too used to cross referencing different versions.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+5,286
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Do you use a specific app or site for your online Bible/s?

9. HTacianas

+5,501
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I have the Orthodox study bible app. But I use blueletterbible a lot.

• List
  10. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+3,185
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Baby Got Book

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  11. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+6,505
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Me too! That is a very good work!

12. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+9,294
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    You can't properly venerate an online Bible. I am not kissing the screen of my phone or PC.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+1,062
    Non-Denom
    I use both ways of reading scripture by computer, tablets or by a hard copy Bible. I few weeks ago I was talking about this with another and I get the feel though that people aren't reading scripture like they used to because of the digital age. It just seems to me back years ago a pastor would say in his church everyone hold up your Bible and most would have them with parts of it underlined because of study.

Having a Bible app on a Iphone is good but are people really using it like if they had a physical copy book? I'm not sure they do. Now in churches when a Pastor is preaching they put up verses on a big screen....good....but I still think there's just something about it that seems amiss.

It seems like a Bible was like a part of a Christian...they knew where everything was in the pages a could see the bigger picture of truth out in front of them. I'm sure some would say my points aren't valid but I can't get around feeling that way.

14. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+3,185
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    I told my son the same thing about "God loves a cheerful giver" [2 Corinthians 9:7]. Since I pay tithes, etc. on-line, I smile when I hit "Send...!" :D

15. rockytopva

+6,505
    Pentecostal
    Single
  16. Of the Kingdom

Of the Kingdom Active Member

+265
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I was curious enough to try installing it on my Android. Do you have the one by Mihaita Nicolae Dinu? The about page has "abouteob" in the URL. The Google Play writeup claims there are 200 pages of study info plus footnotes, but I only see the unadorned text. It does claim to be unfinished, so maybe it's not all there yet.

If you have more to tell me and there is a concern that we will sidetrack this thread, please feel free to respond in a new thread.

I am always interested in how versions of the Bible compare, and also somewhat interested in knowing EO viewpoints better.

17. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,387
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    What version did Jesus carry?

18. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,387
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    All those hand highlighted passages over the years.

19. HTacianas

+5,501
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I honestly have never looked at any of the study notes. But it uses the Septuagint for the old testament.

20. rockytopva

+6,505
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Original Hebrew.