One saved always saved (Eternal Security)

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
John 3:16

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
This verse might support OSAS if the text stated "believed", but the text states the present tense "believes". It suggests that one must continue to believe.

Let's take the following sentence as an example. A group of people have been cast off of a boat and find themselves in deep water. Someone knows that a safety boat will arrive in 10 minutes and shouts out "Whoever treads water shall be saved." Now, does that mean that if a person treads water for 30 seconds, and gives up, he will be saved? No, of course not. He will drown if he stops treading water after 30 seconds. The person has to continue treading water until the safety boat arrives.

So it is with John 3:16.

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Eternal security is the doctrine that when a person is saved nothing can affect their salvation. They can never lose it for any reason. I believe Eternal Security is true because of the following verses:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 6:37-6:40

"All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day."

John 10:27-29

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand."

Tell me, how can you read those verses and NOT believe in Eternal Security? Jesus is extremely clear. Out of all that the Father gives to Jesus he will lose NONE of them! In other words, Everyone's salvation is Eternally secure! It's right there in black and white! So, what do you think? Is Eternal Security real? Why or why not?

mmbattlestar,

1. John 3:16 is true that we receive the gift of eternal life.
But full possession is not till death.
Eternal life is an eternal possession. But just like a diamond which is considered an eternal object it can be lost and found again just like the woman who had a coin and lost it and then found it again Luke 15:8-32 and the same for the sheep and prodigal sin.

2. God won't cast out not drive away. Drive away would imply he makes one to backslide.
Man has freewill and he can choose who he yields to whether Satan or God. Read Roman's 6.
God will not make a person do what they don't want to do otherwise, it wouldn't be true love.
The Holy Spirit will convict and God will put them in situations to restore and correct or whatever the case may be but it is up to the person to cooperate with God.

John 10:27-29,
The condition is hearing his voice and following him.
Incidentally, this is not talking to the individual Jew but the nation as a whole.
There were people in the Jewish history that were righteous before God and then sinned and lost their lives.
Their Davidic covenant is conditioned by obedience even though it is an eternal covenant for the generation that chooses to stay saved.
Read the Ezekiel passages like chapter 18 that God said if you don't repent I won't remember your righteousness no more.
God is no respect of persons James said in the New Testament so the the goes for the NC believer if he backslides and serves another master. Jerry Kelso

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
The Scripture below refutes eternal security / OSAS.

The Jews are the "natural branches" who were broken off for their unbelief. The gentiles are the "wild olive shoots" who were grafted into the root (Christ). These gentiles were said to have stood fast through faith, so we know that they were justified. Next, St. Paul warns these justified gentiles not to be proud of the fact that they were grafted in, but to fear. St. Paul warns them that they must "continue in his kindness" or they too will be cut off from the root.

Romans 11:11-31English Standard Version (ESV)
Gentiles Grafted In
11 So I ask, did they stumble in order that they might fall? By no means! Rather, through their trespass salvation has come to the Gentiles, so as to make Israel jealous. 12 Now if their trespass means riches for the world, and if their failure means riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their full inclusion mean!

13 Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry 14 in order somehow to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them. 15 For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead? 16 If the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, so is the whole lump, and if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root of the olive tree, 18 do not be arrogant toward the branches. If you are, remember it is not you who support the root, but the root that supports you. 19 Then you will say, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God's kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off. 23 And even they, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God has the power to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and grafted, contrary to nature, into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, the natural branches, be grafted back into their own olive tree.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Someone may have already gone over this but if not....

Tell me, how can you read those verses and NOT believe in Eternal Security?

OK.

Jesus is extremely clear.

Yes he is, as is the bible, but if we want to hear something else for our own selfish reasons, we will, and clarity is out the door. A few examples follow.

Out of all that the Father gives to Jesus he will lose NONE of them! In other words, Everyone's salvation is Eternally secure!

And who are the ones that the "Father gives" but the ones who do God's will and obey the words of Jesus himself.

Are you aware of what believing means? If we believe in Jesus/God, then we believe what they tell us to do, and we do that. It's just amazing to me how people can miss the obvious but it's not just you, people see what they want to see and don't see what they don't want to see. It's all about agenda/motive

"All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.

Coming to Jesus meant to do as he says/as the bible teaches. It doesn't mean talk with no walk, that's just what some people want to believe it says, so they simplify these verses to fit that agenda, when I at least hope it's clear now, that's what you have done..

I shall lose none of all those he has given me,

Again, the ones "he has given" are the ones that do the will of God, why in the world would it be anything other than that? and no, he won't lose them because they are steadfast to hold on to doing as they should.

For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day."

And what do you think "looks at the son" and "believes in him" means? I can only pray you now know the answer to that. :)

People are constantly bring this subject in here trying to justify it because it's what they want to believe. They even get angry because they cannot have their way, as they had it all worked out where they can now sin and still go to heaven and the disappointment is great. I know people that adhere to this theology and they are some of the meanest people I know.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These are all verses stating that you CAN lose your salvation-

Matthew 13:20-21
Matthew 24:44-51
Matthew 18:28-35
Mark 4:16-18; Mark 11:25;
Mark 13:20-23;
Luke 8:13
Luke 12:42-46; John 6:60-71
John 12:44-48; John 15:5-6;
John 17:12; Acts 20:28-30;
Romans 6:12-13,16;
Romans 8:12-13;
Romans 11:20-22;
1 Corinthians 3:13-17
1 Corinthians 6:8-11
1 Corinthians 6:15-18
1 Corinthians 9:24-27
1 Corinthians 10:2,9
1 Corinthians 10:11-12
1 Corinthians 11:28-30
1 Corinthians 15:1-2
2 Corinthians 15:1-2
2 Corinthians 5: 20- 6:2
2 Corinthians 11:2
2 Corinthians 13:5
Galatians 1:6-9
Galatians 4:8-9
Galatians 5:19-21
Galatians 6: 7-9
Ephesians 5:2-6
Philippians 2: 12-16
Philippians 3:10-13
Colossians 1:21-23
Colossians 3:5-9, 24-25
1 Thessalonians 4:3-8
1 Timothy 1:18-20
1 Timothy 4:1-2
1Timothy 5:8
1Timothy 5:14-15
1Tim. 6:9-10
1Tim. 6: 20-21
2 Tim. 2:11-12
Titus 3:8-11
Hebrews 2:1-3
Hebrews 3:12-14
Hebrews 3:18-4:1
Hebrews 6:4-6
Hebrews 10:23-29
Hebrews 12:12-17, 25
James 1:14-16
James 2:12-13
James 4:4
James 5:8-9, 19-20
2 Peter 1:3-4
2 Peter 2:1-2, 14-15, 20-22
2 Peter 3:17
1 John 2:3-4
1 John 3:14-18
1 John 5:17
2 John 8:9
Revelation 2:4-5
I gather you will provide exegesis for each verse. As I read them on the surface none of those verses contradict or negate John 6:37-40 and John 10:27-29.

Let's at least take the top 4:

Matthew 13:20-21---this says the person receives a message joyfully but has no root. Since Christ is the root and the person has no root how can this mean they 'lost' something they never had.

Matthew 24:44-51----Does not mention the servant is righteous actually says he is wicked. Many are called but few are chosen. Chosen the operative word.

Matthew 18:28-35----If these verses are about losing one's salvation then I gather you see our works save? If we take an expository approach to the passage we see that such actions as this wicked man did were not the result of a repentant new creature in Christ. So how could this man lose what he never had? Or you could just agree with Roman Catholics and say this is Purgatory.

Mark 4:16-18-----Same as the first above. Where does it say the man was saved? The parable of the soils show us the difference between the general call of the Gospel vs. the effectual call of the Father who draws us to Him.

Finally, verse plucking without providing a smidgen of exegesis leads to confusion and error.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Christ Himself did not use the word 'backsliding', but He told us the story of one who did, but then much later....much later in time....returned, even to the level that

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.'

Notice that wording! "Dead", and then later "alive again" !

See? Backsliding is not necessarily a final outcome, but it's a situation, which must be repented of, just as in the parable --

Luke 15 NIV

I didn't see it until now, but this all fits together in a certain way perfectly, about that 'passed from death into life' in relation to the other questions such as about those who leave....like the prodigal (aka 'backslide', aka 'lost', aka 'gone away', aka etc.).

If we notice the exact wording in the Parable of the Prodigal, quoted in post #44 here nearby. When the son left, he entered into a certain condition, by Christ's own word for that condition -- "dead". But when he repented, returned, he entered into a different condition, by Christ's own words for that condition -- "alive again" !
Great point. I think the parable of the Prodigal is such a foundational story.

There're so many underlying beliefs that make up our own personal framework of what we believe "salvation" even is (things like atonement theories.....free will.....how God encourages us towards righteousness....etc). That all makes this a complex discussion to have.

I happen to believe in the doctrine of the Greek Orthodox church--apocatastasis. I also believe that if a person has a certain presumption about salvation (and it's difficult not to)....we're going to read Scripture through that particular lens and see things one way (where...if another person believes in differently...they will interpret Scripture another way). It all depends on the lens in which we're looking through.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eternal security is the doctrine that when a person is saved nothing can affect their salvation. They can never lose it for any reason. I believe Eternal Security is true because of the following verses:

"All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day."

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand."

Tell me, how can you read those verses and NOT believe in Eternal Security? Jesus is extremely clear. Out of all that the Father gives to Jesus he will lose NONE of them! In other words, Everyone's salvation is Eternally secure! It's right there in black and white! So, what do you think? Is Eternal Security real? Why or why not?
Don't be surprised if very few actually address the verses you posted.

Most important discourses you posted IMHO. Notice the use of 'sheep' and 'no one will snatch them out of my hand."

Jesus uses sheep and shepherd metaphors a lot. A shepherd has an awesome responsibility. He must keep the sheep from destruction either external to the flock (a wolf) or ensure they don't wander off. But if they do wander off we are told He leaves the 99 to find the one.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It all depends on the lens in which we're looking through.
Indeed. I also believe we often try to look at these things as humans through a human lens. God has a vote---He is sovereign in His own salvation.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I gather you will provide exegesis for each verse. As I read them on the surface none of those verses contradict or negate John 6:37-40 and John 10:27-29.

Let's at least take the top 4:

Matthew 13:20-21---this says the person receives a message joyfully but has no root. Since Christ is the root and the person has no root how can this mean they 'lost' something they never had.

Matthew 24:44-51----Does not mention the servant is righteous actually says he is wicked. Many are called but few are chosen. Chosen the operative word.

Matthew 18:28-35----If these verses are about losing one's salvation then I gather you see our works save? If we take an expository approach to the passage we see that such actions as this wicked man did were not the result of a repentant new creature in Christ. So how could this man lose what he never had? Or you could just agree with Roman Catholics and say this is Purgatory.

Mark 4:16-18-----Same as the first above. Where does it say the man was saved? The parable of the soils show us the difference between the general call of the Gospel vs. the effectual call of the Father who draws us to Him.

Finally, verse plucking without providing a smidgen of exegesis leads to confusion and error.

I think it's very easy to get sidetracked if we don't say what we agree on about being saved by grace through faith, because then mere argument can take over.

It's actually hard to find anyone that says clearly they believe we are saved because of works.
Catholics don't think so. What they think is surprising to some.
They also say we are saved by grace through faith, in similar wording. I looked this up in the catechism, so I'm speaking about what I read. They don't stop there.

But Paul doesn't stop there either.

So, where are the people that think we are saved solely by works?

Instead, the Catholic and majority Protestant understanding is just like as in Paul's own wording --

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

----

I'm saying let's not suggest anyone claims we are justified/saved by works instead of faith, unless they themselves actually say so. We can ask of course.

Perhaps the correct question is more like this -- "Are you saying we must also have works to be saved?" The answer to this is that actual faith leads to actual works -- doing of the commandments Christ gave to us -- over time. If the faith is "alive".

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 1:9-10~He has made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure that He set forth in Christ, 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to gather up all things in Him, things in heaven and things on earth.

Richard Rohr said:
This one line is the summary of Franciscan Christology and our notion of the Cosmic Christ, as my systematics professor told me. Jesus agreed to carry the mystery of suffering and not to demand perfection of creation. He taught, in effect, that it is the “only” way to be saved. We are indeed saved by the cross—more than we realize. The people who hold the contradictions—and resolve them in themselves—are the saviors of the world. They are agents of transformation, reconciliation, and newness. These are the people, as Ken Wilber says, who “transcend and include.” [3]

The insistence on the perfect is often the enemy of the practical and helpful good. Perfectionism becomes angry righteousness, or what we call “zealotry” in individuals, destroying both the zealot and the cause. In society, it creates “isms” or ideologies that brook no compromise or ability to negotiate,
as we see in our present United States government. We must try to be peace and do justice, but don’t expect to find your definition of perfection in yourself or in the world. You normally do not love truth at this point; you love winning. Perfectionism contributes to intolerance and judgmentalism. Jesus was a realist; he was patient with the ordinary, the broken, the weak, and those who failed. Following him is not a means of creating some ideal social order as much as it is a vocation to share the fate of God for the life of the world, and to love the way that God loves.~https://cac.org/saved-by-the-cross-2017-07-26/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,105.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Judas call Jesus by name many times and also believed he was as well....hence the "suicide" after the betrayal. Would you say Judas is Saved?

Luke 6:46
And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

I think there is more to it than just believe and saying words.

But ultimately, I do agree, that once your salvation it known....it wont be lost.
Judas was called but Judas never partook of the Lord's supper. Judas was not in the upper room at Pentecost .But, Judas repented. So, we really don't know whether God's mercy extended to him as it did to the thief on the cross.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. I also believe we often try to look at these things as humans through a human lens. God has a vote---He is sovereign in His own salvation.
I agree. I'd just posted the verse that we have that states what God's will is:

Ephesians 1:9-10he has made known to us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure that he set forth in Christ, 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to gather up all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

So....if a person believes in God's sovereignty....wouldn't they also believe that His will be done (didn't Jesus even teach us to pray that?).

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, where are the people that think we are saved solely by works?
Most who post against eternal security believe we are saved by grace through faith..BUT can lose that salvation by what we do (works). Which means works is clearly in their formula for salvation.

Instead, the Catholic and majority Protestant understanding is just like as in Paul's own wording --
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

I was raised, practiced and educated in the Roman Catholic church through college. I'm not bringing up Catholic theology here but merely pointed out a proof text I responded to is a bedrock teaching of Roman Rite Purgatory. I am not on a Catholic crusade here as many of my Catholic friends will tell you here at CF. I was just pointing out those verses are used in the CCC to affirm Purgatory. And I asked if the non-Catholic poster shared those views. Simple as that, so let's leave it at that.

I'm saying let's not suggest anyone claims we are justified/saved by works instead of faith, unless they themselves actually say so. We can ask of course.

If someone believes our actions negate God's ordained and sovereign salvation, then yes they are actually saying our actions count for or against whether we are "saved" or "keep saved." That's actually what we are discussing.

My challenge is to find someone from the OT or NT who found favor with God who later "lost" their salvation and now stands damned at Judgment Day.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great point. I think the parable of the Prodigal is such a foundational story.

There're so many underlying beliefs that make up our own personal framework of what we believe "salvation" even is (things like atonement theories.....free will.....how God encourages us towards righteousness....etc). That all makes this a complex discussion to have.

I happen to believe in the doctrine of the Greek Orthodox church--apocatastasis. I also believe that if a person has a certain presumption about salvation (and it's difficult not to)....we're going to read Scripture through that particular lens and see things one way (where...if another person believes in differently...they will interpret Scripture another way). It all depends on the lens in which we're looking through.

This makes me think of a particular individual I was reading of yesterday by chance, as I read about the sinking of the Titanic, about the Second Officer Lightoller, and the incredible details of exactly what happened to him (perfect and very unlikely happenings piling up one after one, all just at the very perfect moment), which no one would believe easily without the whole story. Was he being given more time? It would seem very likely.
Here:
Does God keep us from self-destructing?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A person has to keep the faith. There are a lot of - if - type of verses in the NT.

Hebrews 3:6

“But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.”
Faith does indeed significantly imply Faithfulness. That is never the issue in these debates until someone raises as you said a "what if" scenario.

So I'll ask you since you posted such astute words above.

Can you give me an example from the OT, NT, or even personal experience where a person who was in God's favor lost their salvation and now stands damned at Judgment Day?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Most who post against eternal security believe we are saved by grace through faith..BUT can lose that salvation by what we do (works). Which means works is clearly in their formula for salvation.
No, most Protestants who reject OSAS would say that salvation can be lost through a loss of faith. Most would not say that it can also be lost through sin, which is the Catholic view.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This makes me think of a particular individual I was reading of yesterday by chance, as I read about the sinking of the Titanic, about the Second Officer Lightoller, and the incredible details of exactly what happened to him (perfect and very unlikely happenings piling up one after one, all just at the very perfect moment), which no one would believe easily without the whole story. Was he being given more time? It would seem very likely.
Here:
Does God keep us from self-destructing?
I can subjectively tell you yes to the question above. It is the long story of my life and many others.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Narrow Door (WEB) Public Domain

Luke 13:22 He went on his way through cities and villages, teaching, and traveling on to Jerusalem. 23 One said to him, "Lord, are they few who are saved?" He said to them, 24 "Strive to enter in by the narrow door, for many, I tell you, will seek to enter in, and will not be able. 25 When once the master of the house has risen up, and has shut the door, and you begin to stand outside, and to knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!' then he will answer and tell you, 'I don't know you or where you come from.' 26 Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.' 27 He will say, 'I tell you, I don't know where you come from. Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity.' 28 There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the prophets, in the Kingdom of God, and yourselves being thrown outside. 29 They will come from the east, west, north, and south, and will sit down in the Kingdom of God. 30 Behold, there are some who are last who will be first, and there are some who are first who will be last."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How many spend too much on building large homes? They make larger doors in order to bring in larger furniture, pianos, etc. They eat way more food than they need. Even their pets are obese. They own more cars than they can drive. They have wider garages. Much is spent on selfishness and comfort. Jesus suffered for God. Self denial is not easy. People make themselves safe and comfortable, this is their idea of salvation. Jesus took risks and suffered to gain imperishable salvation. Salvation is assured for those who heed the call of the Lord.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I was raised, practiced and educated in the Roman Catholic church through college. I'm not bringing up Catholic theology here but merely pointed out a proof text I responded to is a bedrock teaching of Roman Rite Purgatory. I am not on a Catholic crusade here as many of my Catholic friends will tell you here at CF. I was just pointing out those verses are used in the CCC to affirm Purgatory. And I asked if the non-Catholic poster shared those views. Simple as that, so let's leave it at that.

If someone believes our actions negate God's ordained and sovereign salvation, then yes they are actually saying our actions count for or against whether we are "saved" or "keep saved." That's actually what we are discussing.

My challenge is to find someone from the OT or NT who found favor with God who later "lost" their salvation and now stands damned at Judgment Day.

There are mysteries involved to me. It does really seem we get more than just one chance to turn around, when conditions make us really feel differently, and able to chose a new direction than we usually do. Mysterious in a way, because I certainly cannot say it's 100% only controlled from above, or whether we also participate at all, so that there is some of our own real choice (not predetermined), and I'm ok with not being sure, and I'm definitely ok with others having a different guess than my own about what isn't entirely revealed. Thanks for telling me more of your views. With love, your brother.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
These are all verses stating that you CAN lose your salvation-

Matthew 13:20-21
Matthew 24:44-51
Matthew 18:28-35
Mark 4:16-18; Mark 11:25;
Mark 13:20-23;
Luke 8:13
Luke 12:42-46; John 6:60-71
John 12:44-48; John 15:5-6;
John 17:12; Acts 20:28-30;
Romans 6:12-13,16;
Romans 8:12-13;
Romans 11:20-22;
1 Corinthians 3:13-17
1 Corinthians 6:8-11
1 Corinthians 6:15-18
1 Corinthians 9:24-27
1 Corinthians 10:2,9
1 Corinthians 10:11-12
1 Corinthians 11:28-30
1 Corinthians 15:1-2
2 Corinthians 15:1-2
2 Corinthians 5: 20- 6:2
2 Corinthians 11:2
2 Corinthians 13:5
Galatians 1:6-9
Galatians 4:8-9
Galatians 5:19-21
Galatians 6: 7-9
Ephesians 5:2-6
Philippians 2: 12-16
Philippians 3:10-13
Colossians 1:21-23
Colossians 3:5-9, 24-25
1 Thessalonians 4:3-8
1 Timothy 1:18-20
1 Timothy 4:1-2
1Timothy 5:8
1Timothy 5:14-15
1Tim. 6:9-10
1Tim. 6: 20-21
2 Tim. 2:11-12
Titus 3:8-11
Hebrews 2:1-3
Hebrews 3:12-14
Hebrews 3:18-4:1
Hebrews 6:4-6
Hebrews 10:23-29
Hebrews 12:12-17, 25
James 1:14-16
James 2:12-13
James 4:4
James 5:8-9, 19-20
2 Peter 1:3-4
2 Peter 2:1-2, 14-15, 20-22
2 Peter 3:17
1 John 2:3-4
1 John 3:14-18
1 John 5:17
2 John 8:9
Revelation 2:4-5

As one goes through this list, you will come across parables which clearly teach that some fall away from the God, an apparent faith and are cut off, BUT they were never saved to begin with. As in the 10 Virgins or the Sower of the Seed, those who are born again cannot lose their salvation, they have been baptized by the Holy Spirit, spiritually cleansed and born from above and now part of the Body of Christ. There are many who will fall, but their seeds were never planted in fertile soil, they did not produce fruit - they were never true believers. Many attend church and go through the motions but live fully in and of the world throughout the week. Many are lukewarm - we know what happens to them. Faith is a gift, once given is not taken back, it is permanent. If we had to earn this gift, then maybe we could also lose it. But it is not earned and not based on what we did or do, it is based on what Christ did.
It is impossible to have your spirit cleansed and quickened with the Holy Spirit living in you and then later on He decides to move out! This He does not change! This would also imply that He made a mistake.

Listen, God does not change His mind. He knows who will be saved and who will not be saved, therefore only cleanses and baptizes His own! It doesn't make sense that He would do something and He already knows won't work!
He holds onto His sheep and NO ONE can snatch them out of His hand.
"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38
Our salvation once saved is eternal.
Otherwise faith would be uncertain, the gift would be uncertain, the promise would be uncertain, fear would be present and worry for the rest of our lives. Faith is foundational and it's true some are weak in the faith but nevertheless, a gift from God is for certain and eternal. "If you believe in Me, you will have eternal life." That promise is not conditional, His love is unconditional.
The apparent warnings, the cutting off, blotting out are for the half-heated unbelievers. Maybe they got excited for a while, maybe they studied, got degrees attended church and looked like believers, but there are tares among the wheat. People who when tested, when troubles come, fail and fall away.
In the United States, 80% of Americans would say they believe in the God of the Bible, but really maybe half of them are born again. We see so called Christians going to gay churches, protesting for pro-choice rights and rallying for wicked liberal ways, even revising, editing and omitting Biblical truths, picking and choosing the scriptures they like and discarding the rest!
I question if they have real faith, if their seed was planted in fertile soil, if they have the Holy Spirit living in them.

Reactions: WilliamBo
Upvote 0