• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

On the importance of citing sources

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by The Liturgist, Apr 5, 2021.

1. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional Liturgical Christian

+1,093
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    In my case I had no choice but to select “Christian” as my faith group because I am a Congregationalist in the high church tradition of the King’s Weigh House, that renounces the United Church of Christ, the United Reformed Church, and various other liberal uniting churches that have swallowed up most of the Congregationalist denominations in the Anglophone world.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. The Liturgist

+1,093
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Well a good thing you are not a Rastafarian theologian then eh? ;)

3. The Liturgist

+1,093
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    That now-defunct board sounds like it would have been a lot of fun, but I myself am too old for such quarrels, so I for one am glad we have the strong moderation that we do here on CF.com. Otherwise I would just get myself too worked up! I’ve tried other forums on the Net and they all seem to either be undermoderated and tolerant of horrible bullying and flaming, or else overmoderrated (a low church Episcopalian/Anglican forum once issued me a warning for daring to mention Dom Gregory Dix). CF.com is a really great blessing for all of us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. The Liturgist

+1,093
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Scriptural quotations are good, and I enjoy posts which resonate with them. My main frustration is when people assume there is only one interpretation of a given pericope, and then post that pericope as a proof text in support of whatever they are arguing for, without explaining what the underlying scripture means to them, how they feel it supports their thesis, and why they reached that particular conclusion. This can be done in a minimum of words, far fewer words than the scriptural citation, and can even be done primarily using other scriptural references, which is also good, as it avoids eisegesis.

Eisegesis, where someone quotes in support of their position one random verse or pericope which may or may not be subject to multiple, disputed interpretations, is a serious frustration for many of us. As opposed to exegesis, where the position is derived from a diverse array of scriptural verses and is based on the implication these pericopes have on each others meaning.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • List
  5. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,153
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    When Beliefnet was still mainly forums, I was the moderator for the EO section. It's a difficult job at times because not only did we have to handle the people who swore we were worshiping Mary, thought we were Jewish, etc., we had a few Old Calendarists who were members of the "Most Holy, Most Greek, Mostest Orthodoxist of All Believers", that drove me crazy trying to moderate things. At least here, I do self-censor a lot :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. chilehed

chilehed Veteran

+1,136
    Catholic
    Married
    TOTALLY missed the point, and proved it at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,457
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Well, look at it this way. Most of the time it takes quite a few posts to figure out a person's theological stance and how a new poster should navigate the forum. Though CF does a great job dividing all of us into many factions, it only serves to further the divide. Personally, I have attempted to join a particular group discussion completely contrary to my belief only to quickly get reminded who may be allowed to comment. In other words, if I do not agree with the theological system, "get out".
    In writing this I feel rather sad. There are a ton of factions in CF, all by our doing. Be blessed.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  8. GreekOrthodox

+2,153
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Do you mean checking what forum you are posting in? I admit, I've jumped to a topic without realizing that it is the the Baptist area first.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,457
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Yes.

10. GreekOrthodox

+2,153
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I'm perfectly fine with those kinds of restrictions for specific discussions. It could be that someone is inquiring about why the Eastern Orthodox have icons and we're trying to explain it without someone jumping in and quoting "Thou shalt not have graven images" at us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  11. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+3,266
    Christian
    Married
    But if you have "graven images"..?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. GreekOrthodox

+2,153
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I'm just supportive of having areas where those of us of a particular denomination or broad areas such as "Traditional Theology" can be able to discuss things without having random people jump into those areas just to criticize a particular practice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. AubreyM

AubreyM Active Member

+161
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Reading and found this, have done this before with Shawn McCrannys work off heart of the matter. He has been my teacher and helper of understanding scripture now for a very long time nearly 5 years.

He is one of this type of teachers that says you believe what you are going to check the scriptures, look towards God and Jesus Christ and don’t trust me type of teacher.

He also sees the scriptures as being completely fulfilled, which leads me to see the same thing, he has done over 800 shows all free on YouTube, even does a verse by verse on a lot of the New Testament scriptures on his other YouTube channel.

Both sources are here ; Heart of the matter Shawn then you can also try to find campus, but it is a bit harder to find however if you click other channels on heart of the matter you will see C.A.M.P.U.S.

He also gives sources and things he finds, on the scriptures especially introductions to the scriptures before going into it.

It took him a year or so to go verse by verse on Revelation with a lot of material to source his what he is reading and explaining which is something I’ve also found very interesting about his Character never been taught by anyone like this, but he says don’t trust Him trust God and the Lord Jesus Christ and look towards them.

14. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+3,266
    Christian
    Married
    If you really think that "random people jump into those areas just to criticize a particular practice", you're in the wrong place.

This is the traditional theology forum, it's not the Greek Orthodox forum. There is an Eastern Orthodox forum which may be more suitable if you're looking for those just those who agree with you instead of having a reasonable debate.

15. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother? Supporter

+8,095
    United States
    Catholic
    Married

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  16. Taodeching

Taodeching Well-Known Member

+473
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    The problem with just posting verses is it says absolutely nothing. Since this is a discussion board not a posting board and just posting a verse or verses out of context tells no one anything, there should be an explanation with it if the person posting verses whats people to know what they think. Just because a person who posts verses doesn't mean I agree with their ideas, they need to explain so I and most people can see where they are coming from.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. The Liturgist

+1,093
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Indeed. The Congregational Forums and Traditional Theology are a great blessing in this regard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. The Liturgist

+1,093
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Begging your pardon, but we are in fact at present in General Theology.

19. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,437
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    This I would have no idea of...

As a matter of fact, what I would consider outright heretical isn't what others do...

So I'm fairly sure as a laymen there are some things I could neither know nor state in a post.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  20. 2BeholdHisGlory

2BeholdHisGlory Formerly FireInFolding

+369
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    When reasoning out of the scripture by the use of scripture you can often answer a question that come by the same scripture, and those are the people I am drawn to reading (whether I find they are correct or incorrect) believe it or not for other reasons. Now for you it might say absolutely nothing but for me I prefer it. And just because someone posts only verses doesn't mean I always agree with how they are used either. Sometimes you can tell more precisely what someone is trying to build whether its gone a little left or right, and for me its often easier to respond using scripture (whether to help another out or further confirm something for the person).

I honestly do not have the best communication skills let alone a broad vocabulary so its far more fustrating for me to understand what others are saying half the time (who do have these skills). It can make communicating more difficult, besides being a super slow typer it just takes too much effort. For me copy pasting the things I have pre arranged (as I might understand them) to confirm another poster is easier for me but I also hope my references will make it easier for them to look into these things themselves.

I do understand that many are off put by what I might personally prefer (and thats okay too, we will all have preferences). Very few (in my own experience online) have been able to minister to me concerning the things of God by communicating with me using much of their own words for the most part. Now I have always been like that (consider it a birth defect) others might not relate (some might) I don't know, I can't even tell if its more of a preference towards the one or an aversion towards the other. I am not trying to put anyone down who prefers less scripture. I am only jumping on the thread to be counted as one who feels differently.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List