Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You know it's funny living in Utah and knowing the LDS believe that God had to restore His church here on earth because the church had become apostate and I ask them in what way did Orthodox Christianity become apostate? You should see the confused looks I get knowing most only know of the RCC.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You know it's funny living in Utah and knowing the LDS believe that God had to restore His church here on earth because the church had become apostate and I ask them in what way did Orthodox Christianity become apostate? You should see the confused looks I get knowing most only know of the RCC.

oh yeah. when I was in college there were Mormon missionaries that came to try to evangelize myself and some of my Orthodox friends. it did not take too much a look into history to start punching holes in their arguments.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not even convinced that most Mormons believe in their theology. I just think they stick to it because they are socially successful. Its an exclusive niche social club.

interesting point. I know that when they came to my friends and I in college, they did bank on our ignorance of Church history a lot, which is one of the reasons their witness did not work.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One of the things that amazes me, though, is that many Mormons aren't ignorant of Church history. There seem to be several who have themselves studied it extensively at prestigious universities like Oxford and Harvard, and yet they continue to believe.

just ask them for any historic evidence of the Great Apostasy, or any evidence that Christ and the Apostle's believed what they believed and watch the eyes glaze over.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Usually you blast into oblivion anything I say, Columba, so I enter this thread with that expectation, but hey, what the heck!

I'd point out the anachronisms of the BofM. Tons of them! There are horses in the new world, metals that didn't exist and don't exist in that part of the world, technology that was never there at the time, plus the BofM has great plagiarism in it. Google it.

I'd point out the laughable story about the "book of Abraham" that Joseph Smith supposedly 'translated' as the lost stories of Abraham! In reality, it was an Egyptian papyrus scroll showing how to embalm mummies coupled with Book of the Dead type stuff. Hilarious.

I'd point out the inconsistencies with Scripture and the silliness of the Apostacy when we are assured by Christ that the Gates of Hell would NEVER prevail against His Church!

I'd point them to the church Fathers and great saints

I'd also point out the inherent racism and past polygamy and oddness of their religion.

I'd talk to them about what they're missing in life---caffeine!
I'd start the conversation talking about something you might have in common with them as an ice-breaker, uh, say, riding bicycles? :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have a few Mormon acquaintances who are curious about Orthodoxy. I have found a few internet resources, such as these two blogs, which I think are both written by former Mormons who became Orthodox:

Protected Blog › Log in
Mormon to Orthodox

... and this group on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/LDSDiscoverOrthodoxy

Any other recommendations? Where would you start? Are there any former Mormons here?
Have you considered this one entitled Mormonism and Orthodox Christianity -Ancient Faith Radio

As said there in description:

Chris Ionna Holland, an ex-Evangelical who was drawn to Mormonism as a teenager and (later) returned to her traditional Christian roots before becoming an Orthodox Christian (and taught how to evangelize Mormons), and Andrew Gusty (M.D.), a cradle Mormon, Temple worthy, an LDS High Priest, and Second Counselor to the Bishop, discuss their unique perspectives with Kevin Allen about Mormon theology, doctrines, and practices, as well as why they left the Mormon faith and became Eastern Orthodox Christians.​

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
... many Mormons aren't ignorant of Church history. There seem to be several who have themselves studied it extensively at prestigious universities like Oxford and Harvard, and yet they continue to believe.
If I may say..

I think a lot of them tend to stay due to how they are educated in Church History and yet the stances they see well within the Early Church and support are the ones that the corrupt Gnostics advocated. Although not all forms of Gnosticism were negative in the Early Church (specifically in regards to Alexandrian Christianity - more shared in THE GNOSTICS - A Survey of Gnostic Beliefs and Gnostic-Christian ties by Maged S. Mikhail ), it was the case that many of them often tried to attach themselves into the Church by making it appear as if their own Gnosticism was what the other Church Fathers and believers held. The issue of similarities is something a lot of Mormons don't seem to be aware of...

Many Gnostics I've seen see don't see Jesus as only human but the offspring of the 'God above God'....the destined Saviour of fallen Sophia. And in noting the 'God above God' idea when it came to other views of Sophia being connected..alongside other things, it's easy to see where much of it is essentially what was recreated within the system of Mormonism (which noted the same realities - in regards to Christ being the offspring of deities....that God apparently had sex had with another female deity in order to produce Christ and the Devil amongst other wild beliefs found within Mormonism).

I'm glad for others who've done excellent presentations on the issue once in regards to showing the ways in which Gnosticism has literally re-shaped itself into many modern groups and expressions today:

Dr. Michael Heiser: Gnosticism Lecture (Full) - YouTube

A lot of the dynamics behind Mormonism, from what I've experienced and seen, are highly spiritual - there's a spiritual connection (as well as blindness) that tends to keep others oblivious from seeing a lot of where things don't connect. Also, there's a lot of difficult for others coming out due to how personal Mormons are with one another - a very BIG community aspect that tends to keep others comforted when considering how much they didn't have a family that wanted to keep up with them/live life together. However, this works in the negative since it VERY controlling and people are made to become so used to living within the family/group homes in Mormonism that they are made to think they cannot survive outside of it when they begin to question things.

One of my friends had a conversation with a Mormon who'd come to their house daily asking questions - originally wanting to evangelize them since he was stationed there. My friend said she'd only listen if she was given the opportunity to share her side as well - and in the course of time, the Mormons began to truly ask questions. However, weeks later, the Mormon and others with her said they were called back and couldn't discuss anymore (which saddened them) - it turns out they were called back and re-stationed and my friend became black-listed on the Mormon website ....a way of telling other Mormons what houses or people to avoid so as to keep other Mormons from being "confused."

It's a cult - and thus, when dealing with others in cults, it seems real to know that one has to see the reality of spirits influencing cult members and keeping them deceived.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What is a travesty is when you hear of a BYU professor getting fired and excommunicated for teaching authentic Christian history. Although some have gone on to lead other LDS members out of that church.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I had a couple of mormon missionaries come by my house last week. we had an interesting discussion. I certainly did not take the approach that gurneyhalleck suggests, as that would have put them on the defensive. I gently showed them two things:

I Mormonism mono or poly theistic? Interestingly enough, they said they didn't know. I found a quote by Joseph Smith talking about how they believe that "god" was once a man and became a "god". I asked them, are there any others? I then told them to look into the writings of Mormon prophets and teachers to find out for themselves.

I asked them if they believe that "God" is good, just, true, faithful, and is not a liar, they said yes. I then asked them to read the passage from Matthew about the gates of Hades not prevailing against the Church. I asked them if the apostasy is true (they brought it up on their own) is God then a liar? unfaithful? I asked them what does this imply about the quality of the Apostles themselves? I told them that I can guarantee them that we can know the Truth about God, who He is, who is Jesus Christ, who am I, who are you? and what does it mean to be a human being. How? Because I said to them " the one and only true God has revealed Himself to us" and he is Good, and faithful, just, and true, and has kept His promise, and the Church He established has never apostatized nor disappeared from the face of the earth. I told them the faith has been passed down through every generation from the Apostles down to today. I told them about Cyprian, Justin the Martyr, Polycarp, etc. I told them you can read the writings of the guys that knew the Apostles personally.

We left on good terms and hopefully they'll be back.

Upvote 0