United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Synodality becomes the practice of the Church

Father Antonio Spadaro: "Today the Church is a place of great differences, and we are talking about a community that crosses spatial and cultural barriers"

A section of the Synod concluded a few days ago (which will end next year), a stage that was important for the Universal Church. Let's take stock with Father Antonio Spadaro, Jesuit and elected Undersecretary of the Vatican Dicastery for Culture and Education, former Director of the magazine "Civiltà Cattolica".

The final document talks about changes to the Code of Canon Law. Does it mean that synodality becomes a regular practice of the Church?

That's exactly how it is. Synodality is not the topic of a meeting, but represents the very form of the Church. A Church that is increasingly complex internally: if it once had references in the Pastors who were nevertheless formed and had a common mentality, and often also a common language - Latin or Italian - because many had studied in Rome , now instead the Church is a place of great differences, and we are talking about a community that crosses spatial and cultural barriers. The Church lives in the tightropes of the North and South of the world, in the tensions between conservatives and progressives, in contexts of wealth and poverty. It is necessary, therefore, for the Church to walk together. Ultimately, this is the image that has remained with me the most from the end of the Synod, the image of a large ship, a transatlantic I would say, capable of sailing the oceans, where everyone works so that it can move forward with all the differences. However, the greater the diversity, the greater the need to share the journey, to reflect together, to make common decisions, to listen. One of the things that, for example, characterized this Synod was not only the expression of each one, but also the listening that each one dedicated to the others and also within the group tables. So now I understand what Pope Francis told me for the first time in my interview for «La Civiltà Cattolica» in 2013: there he spoke to me about a more synodal Church. So we are talking about an idea that Francis had clear from the beginning of his pontificate, in August 2013. I fully understand his words only now. So the answer is yes, synodality must become the practice of the Church, also having suitable structures, suitable moments, necessary to be able to move forward.

The option for the poor is confirmed. What does this mean for a Synodal Church?

Continued below.

• Prayers
Reactions: YorkieGal

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lots of people would like to rewrite the Bible. That's how we obtain permission to sin.
Yep. My question is why he is allowed to continue as a bishop. Rewriting Scripture sounds pretty heretical to me.

Upvote 0