Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What happens to a persons free will when God gives people over to their sins?
Were they ever free of sin at all?
God gives them over to a debased mind...so then this reads to me like total depravity, a satanic captivity of the will, to which they are enslaved.
What was different about Abraham you think?

Romans 1
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality,wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving,unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.
People that are "enslaved" by sin (which is all of us before salvation) have a free will to choose what sins they want to commit, and also a free will to still call on the Lord to be saved and freed from their sin. John 8:32; John 8:36; Romans 10:13.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What happens to a persons free will when God gives people over to their sins?
Were they ever free of sin at all?
God gives them over to a debased mind...so then this reads to me like total depravity, a satanic captivity of the will, to which they are enslaved.
What was different about Abraham you think?

Romans 1
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality,wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving,unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.
What was different about Abraham? God spoke to him and he chose to believe what God told him? He was rare, just like Noah, and Enoch, who chose to believe God and walk with him. They may be rare, but there are people that will choose to follow God by their own free will, not because God has to override that free will. These are what God is looking for, not robots.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So my question is this. Can the natural man do anything that's spiritually good?

Not in the ultimate sense. Natural man may do some good to some extent, but even his most selfless, righteous behavior will be stained with sin and unacceptable to God.

One way Edwards thought about it was to think of a "good deed" as an action that is:
  1. The right action
  2. For the right purpose
  3. From the right motivation
Many times the natural man can perform the right action. But even then he does not do it for the right purpose (the glory of God) or from the right motivation (love for God and neighbor).

Or to ask another way, can the natural man do anything to glorify God?

Yes and no. God will get glory even from obstinate sinners despite their best efforts to the contrary (Proverbs 16:4). But their best behavior falls short of being truly glorifying to God in a way that would be a credit to them.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
What was different about Abraham? God spoke to him and he chose to believe what God told him? He was rare, just like Noah, and Enoch, who chose to believe God and walk with him. They may be rare, but there are people that will choose to follow God by their own free will, not because God has to override that free will. These are what God is looking for, not robots.
Before Abraham believed God, God called Abraham.
The calling of God comes first, look and you will see.

All things work to the good of them that love God, who are the called according to His purposes.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
The calling of Abraham by God is shown here and is before scripture mentions about Abraham believed God. God chose Abraham and that is a consistent message also in the NT.
God made many promises to Abram, but it is not until Gen 15, where God changed His name from Abram and then credited Abraham with righteousness. The calling of God comes before our justification by faith. Read Romans 8.
So it was God's will to call Abram, not Abram's 'free' will to call on God that brought about the relationship.

Genesis 12:1-3New King James Version (NKJV)

1 Now the Lord had said to Abram:

“Get out of your country,
From your family
And from your father’s house,
To a land that I will show you.
2 I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

Romans 8

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Before Abraham believed God, God called Abraham.
The calling of God comes first, look and you will see.

All things work to the good of them that love God, who are the called according to His purposes.
God called first, but Abraham still exercised free will in response to God's call.

• Agree
Reactions: TheSeabass
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
God called first, but Abraham still exercised free will in response to God's call.

Without God's calling of Abram, Abraham would have not believed.

The same today with all people.
Romans 8
30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

The sequence here is an unbroken progression of events.
If your predestined by Him, He will call you, if He calls you He will justify you. If He justifies you, He will glorify you. And the scripture is written in the past tense, so it is certain and can not be undone.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Without God's calling of Abram, Abraham would have not believed.

The same today with all people.
Romans 8
30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

The sequence here is an unbroken progression of events.
If your predestined, He will call you, if He calls you He will justify you. If He justifies you, He will glorify you.

True, without God's calling of Abram, Abraham would have not believed. But Abe still chose to believe by exercising his free will.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
True, without God's calling of Abram, Abraham would have not believed. But Abe still chose to believe by exercising his free will.

Even so, God does not force us to believe, we believe because He changes our hearts sovereignly to a heart that can know God and be taught spiritual truths. After we believe He seals us in the Holy Spirit.

But if God has not predestined you, you will never believe, since He has not called you to be saved. God commands all men to repent and believe, but none will unless they are of the called whom He predestined so He orders the events of their life to bring them to faith in Christ.

Ephesians 1
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Even so, God does not force us to believe, we believe because He changes our hearts sovereignly to a heart that can know God and be taught spiritual truths. After we believe He seals us in the Holy Spirit.

But if God has not predestined you, you will never believe, since He has not called you to be saved. God commands all men to repent and believe, but none will unless they are of the called whom He predestined so He orders the events of their life to bring them to faith in Christ.

Ephesians 1
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.

No need to continue this conversation, for you follow the Calvinistic interpretation of predestination and election, and I wholeheartedly do not. Wishing you well out of a kind spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I based that answer on Heb 11 v6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

So he must seek God, or a sympathetic Christian to talk to.

Why would an atheist seek God? He doesn't "believe that he[God] exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

Romans 3
11There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every time (and I mean every time) any discusion where Reformed theology is brought up, some sort of "but man has free will" argument arises, as if the secular humanistic view of free will is some sort of counter argument.

So my question is this. Can the natural man do anything that's spiritually good? Or to ask another way, can the natural man do anything to glorify God?

disclaimer: the questions may br modified if they aren't clear enough
In your question, you should qualify what you mean by "natural man" and what you mean by "spiritually". If you don't, you are assuming we're all on the same page with your words. Yet, your question guarantees that we are not.

In your set up statement: there is that problem with reform theology and "free will". Yet, Paul was struck blind on the road to Damascus and somehow that didn't violate his freewill which was to persecute Christians! And no matter what Jonah's "freewill" was, he still ended up on the shores of Nineveh as fish puke! Also, Joseph in prison, on and on.

Like, "I set before you life and death, choose life that you may live". Yeah, as if death is such a great choice!

Volition smolition! When I came to the Great Shepherd, intrigued by the life of His promise, I was ridiculed by God for my volition: as if I could somehow compete with the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, omniscience! And, I knowing NOTHING!

God Himself, never honored my volitional 'great' ideas! Rather, He mocked them and just said, "follow Me" stupid: I know what I'm doing!

I asked Him, "Where are we going"? He said, "glory, and you ain't seen NOTHING yet!"

I recently posted a thread titled: "Glory". I would love that you would read it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

adhidw

Mar 20, 2017
indonesia
✟16,959.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Every time (and I mean every time) any discusion where Reformed theology is brought up, some sort of "but man has free will" argument arises, as if the secular humanistic view of free will is some sort of counter argument.

So my question is this. Can the natural man do anything that's spiritually good? Or to ask another way, can the natural man do anything to glorify God?

So my question is this. Can the natural man do anything that's spiritually good?

No.
Isa64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away
Rom3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

can the natural man do anything to glorify God?

No.( all natural men have only negative will ) , any things that is sound good (in the God's eyes)should come from God / God’s work .
Isa26:12 LORD, thou wilt ordain peace for us: for thou also hast wrought all our works in us
Rev19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He did that to glorify God? How can you tell?
For an act to be good it needs to be motivated by glorifying God? I'd have thought that glorifying God was sufficient regardless of the motive. Cyrus liberated captive Judah and Israel which was good. Who knows what his motive was?

• Agree
Reactions: Aseyesee
Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hammster: "Every time (and I mean every time) any discusion where Reformed theology is brought up, some sort of "but man has free will" argument arises, as if the secular humanistic view of free will is some sort of counter argument."

Actually, what you label "the secular humanist view" is the view of almost everyone who is not a Calvinist. You don't seem to have a clear notion of what is at stake in the free will controversy. Consider this dice vs, consciousness analogy.
(1) If a die is cast countless times, then we would expect 6 to show up 1 in every 6 tosses. The behavior is random.
(2) But suppose the die is loaded. Then we would expect 6s to show up in tosses disproportionately more often to reflect the inbalance. The result is determined.
(3) Now suppose that the dice is loaded in favor of 6s, but nevertheless 6s don't show up even close to the expected number of times. This unexpected result illustrates how free will works, on the imagined assumption that dice are conscious. in other words, free will assumes an ability to choose contrary one's inclinations; and the stronger the inclinations to choose evil, the greater the moral value of free choice of the good.

So if grace is irresistible, then our worship and service to God is like that of a causally determined robot and is of no moral worth. A God who damns sinners who have no free will to make the right choices is an immoral or amoral god who is not worth worshiping--apart from the prudential reason of receiving a get-out-of-Hell-free card!

Hammster: "So my question is this. Can the natural man do anything that's spiritually good? Or to ask another way, can the natural man do anything to glorify God?"

I will confine myself to just 3 texts that refute your position:
(1) "For He will repay according to each one's deeds: to those who by patiently seeking to do good seek for glory and honor and immortality, He will give eternal life (Romans 2:7)."
Paul is not talking about professing Christians; rather, he is talking about righteous pagans who, yes, can and do perform good works. They are saved not by seeking salvation through Christ's atoning death, but by seeking "for glory and honor and immortality." Elsewhere, Paul insists that "God has overlooked the times of human ignorance (Acts 17:30)" and that "sin is not imputed where there is no Law (Romans 5:13)." Apparently, Paul has this in mind when he celebrates the possibility of pagans doing good and being saved because "He will repay according to each one's deeds (2:7)." Of course, the salvation of these pagans can be made possible by Christ's atoning death and God's grace.

(2) "On that day many will say to me, "Lord, Lord," did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and perform many miracles in your name?" Then I will declare to them, "I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers (Matthew7:22-24).""
Jesus insists the exorcisms can't be performed by Satanic power, but are rather evidence of the Holy Spirit working through the exorcist (12:24-28). So the Christian exorcists and miracle workers envisaged here forfeit their salvation because they fail to qualify as "one who does the will of my Father in Heaven (7:21)." Jesus implies that the ultimately unsaved can nevertheless perform good works. btw, Jesus' teaching here also refutes the doctrine of eternal security.

(3) ""Teacher," said John, "we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us." 39"Do not stop him," Jesus said. "For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward (Mark 9:38-41)."

Here again, a non-Christian Jewish exorcist can effectively perform exorcisms (a good deed) in Jesus' name, even though he does not follow Jesus. So Jesus invites this exorcist to become His disciple, so that he can get saved, right? On the contrary, He insists that this exorcist be left alone! Astoundingly, Jesus considers those who don't actively oppose Him to be on His side! "For whoever is not against us is for us."

"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Nonbelievers do not have Godly type Love and without Godly type Love can do nothing of spiritual value: 1 Cor. 13: 1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

And can do nothing to glorify God, BUT

Just like the prodigal son in Luke 15: 11-32 the nonbeliever can bring himself to his senses by his own bad choices and for purely selfish reasons (wanting just some kind of livable life) turn to God (who is at his elbow). The prodigal son did nothing noble, glorious, honorable and did not bring glory to his father, but the father who was glorious with or without the prodigal son’s return did show that glory.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But God's grace goes beyond what you describe. It is an enabling power to live in the Spirit. It is a supernatural help of God that enlightens our mind and strengthens our will to do good and avoid evil.

You can see the above in Scripture. For example:

11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.

They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away fromb the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, 10when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed. 11To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, 12so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.​
I agree that God enlightens the mind but that enlightenment comes when man hear/reads God's word (Romans 10:17; Ephesians 3:4) and not by God arbitrarily selecting certain men to 'regenerate' and 'enlighten' separate and apart from the word.

You cite Tts 2 where is says grace...teaches. Therefore Christianity is a 'taught' religion. John 6:45 God draws men when men have been 'taught', 'heard' and 'learn' then man of his own free will comes to Christ. Grace therefore is not given randomly to some apart from the word making God a respecter of persons and culpable for the lost. If God is to arbitrarily select certain men, miraculously enlighten their minds apart from the word then the great commission of Christ serves no purpose.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know it's not. I'm not making that argument. Now, is your conclusion supported by the text in any way?
Yes.

Do you deny men were taught God's word in Acts 2 and 7?

Do you deny they understood what was taught?

Do you have proof they did not have the ability to understand what was taught unless first acted upon by God? If God must first miraculously act upon man first before man can understand, then what purpose did it serve for God to first miraculously act upon those hearers in Acts 7 just so they could understand but then to only reject what they understood?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree that God enlightens the mind but that enlightenment comes when man hear/reads God's word (Romans 10:17; Ephesians 3:4) and not by God arbitrarily selecting certain men to 'regenerate' and 'enlighten' separate and apart from the word.

You cite Tts 2 where is says grace...teaches. Therefore Christianity is a 'taught' religion. John 6:45 God draws men when men have been 'taught', 'heard' and 'learn' then man of his own free will comes to Christ.
None of the forgoing proves that men can choose on their own without God giving them the ability, which we attribute to Grace.
If God is to arbitrarily select certain men, miraculously enlighten their minds apart from the word then the great commission of Christ serves no purpose.
Of course it does! No one is saying that God chooses sinners to be saved in their sins. He chooses (if that is what he does) people to receive saving Faith, thus appropriating what Christ did for them in sacrificing himself as a propitiation for sin.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.