US
✟1,099,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I don't see it helping the class across the hall. That teacher would probably lock the door first, or get their class away before they get their weapon our of that drawer. And they might not want to charge the shooter.

Armed citizens save lives every day.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
...it's not mandatory. The new law requires less firearms training should a teacher decide to be armed. The local school board needs to approve as well:

Less training to be armed in a high stress situation? That'll end well...

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Armed citizens save lives every day.

They end them, too.

And not for nothing, but the text of the 2nd Amendment says "people," not "citizens."

Surely the undocumented have the same rights to self-defense?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They end them, too.

And not for nothing, but the text of the 2nd Amendment says "people," not "citizens."

As long as they present State or Federal issued Identification and undergo the background check I don't see why not.

Unless you do not favor gun licenses, background checks and gun registration.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
As long as they present State or Federal issued Identification and undergo the background check I don't see why not.

Sounds like their right to keep and bear arms is being infringed.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Especially for the students who clearly need arms to overthrow the teachers should they become tyrannical.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Are you supporting removing background checks, finger printing, licensing and gun registration in the US?

I for one support these actions for responsible gun owners. I am frankly taken back that you believe doing so is an infringement on the rights to bear arms.

You certainly are not promoting the laws would be waved for illegal aliens, would you?

• Useful
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
They end them, too.

The undocumented have a right to go home. They are unwelcome intruders.

People as in 'we the People."

Context is key.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If my children were in a classroom with a teacher with 24 hours of instruction in fire arms training, I would not feel that my children are safer. IMO, the increased risks of simply having a firearm in a classroom far outweigh the very small chance that a teacher will be able to be to engage an active shooter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...it's not mandatory. The new law requires less firearms training should a teacher decide to be armed. The local school board needs to approve as well:

While employees have for years been allowed to carry guns on school grounds with the consent of the local school board, the Ohio Supreme Court ruled in 2021 that state law required them to first undergo the same basic peace officer training as law enforcement officials or security officers who carry firearms on campus — entailing more than 700 hours of instruction.

That ruling, Mr. DeWine said on Monday, had made it largely impractical for Ohio school districts to allow staff members to carry firearms.

Under the new law, a maximum of 24 hours of training will be enough for teachers to carry guns at school, though the local board will still need to give its approval. Twenty-eight states allow people other than security personnel to carry firearms on school grounds, with laws in nine of those states explicitly mentioning school employees, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Polls in recent years show that a majority of Americans, and a large majority of teachers, oppose the idea of arming teachers.

Ohio Makes It Easier for Teachers to Carry Guns at School

With less training, there is a major question about how this changes the real legal and the public expectations of the role of an "armed teacher."

Teachers are government agents, as defined by the Supreme Court. An armed teacher is an armed government agent...not a private citizen.

Other armed government agents have very specific legal boundaries and public expectations in the use of their firearms. What are those boundaries and expectations for armed teachers?

We know that a fistfight frequently turns into a gunfight when one person is armed...so do we expect armed teachers to intervene in hallway fistfights? What happens if the teacher intervenes and begins losing the fistfight...and possibly losing control of the firearm? That's how fistfights turn into gunfights.

If there is a school shooting, whether a student with a pistol or a mass shooter armed to the teeth, do we expect the armed teacher to attack the assailant or do we expect the armed teacher to gather her own class to safety? And would it make a difference whether it was a student with a pistol or a mass shooter armed to the teeth?

Do we expect the armed teachers in a school to develop communications protocols and tactics among themselves so that they don't wind up shooting each other in an emergency? Will we hold them accountable for that? Will we hold them accountable for sufficient training?

Will we hold them accountable for the deaths of any children? Will we use the rules for civilian self-defense shootings, or the rules for police shootings?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most teachers do not want to be turned into armed school security guards: Eric Foster

"you should know that the list of people who testified in opposition to the bill is long. Many, many more people testified in opposition to the bill than in support of it."

"I didn’t see testimony from one single Ohio teacher who said that he or she supported HB 99."

Nobody is forcing teachers to carry a firearm the law simply allows them to as the title of the OP clearly states.

• Useful
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Teacher walks into classroom dressed like Clint Eastwood as theme song from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly plays in the background and says “if you lower my GPA it might interfere with my aim”. Lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Are you supporting removing background checks, finger printing, licensing and gun registration in the US?

I'm saying I'm surprised that mainstream Republicans don't see them as infringements on their God-given right to self-defense.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The undocumented have a right to go home. They are unwelcome intruders.

There's a guy by the name of Chief Joseph who would like to debate that.

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
List of school shootings in the United States (2000–present) - Wikipedia

January 10, 2018 A criminal justice club student picked up a loaded gun, belonging to an advisor, which the student thought was an unloaded training weapon. She then shot at a wall target, unintentionally firing a bullet, which went through the wall and broke a window. The advisor was a licensed peace officer permitted to carry a firearm on campus.

March 13, 2018 Seaside High School: A teacher accidentally discharged a firearm while teaching a public safety class, injuring one student.

School resource officer Dana Jackson, assigned to Snyder High School, was cleaning his service weapon when it discharged. No injuries were reported. Jackson was removed from his assignment at the school.

A substitute teacher at Blountsville Elementary School, unlawfully brought a small-caliber weapon into the classroom, which discharged while in his pocket. One student reportedly had minor injuries, and the substitute was arrested

At College of the Mainland, a police cadet student, 21-year-old Clayton Whatley, reached into his backpack and accidentally discharged a loaded handgun. Two other students were shot in the leg, and a third was grazed

A school security officer was with a school maintenance worker in the parking lot of Sagemount School when he unintentionally shot the worker in the eye. The officer was unauthorized to have the weapon on campus.

A worker fixing the roof of Canyon del Oro High School was fatally wounded after his unholstered weapon accidentally discharged.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm saying I'm surprised that mainstream Republicans don't see them as infringements on their God-given right to self-defense.

Who said that? Main stream Republicans, Independents and Democrats who support the second amendment support Licensing, background checks and and a systematic method of legally obtaining a weapon.

There are some on the far right who do not - just like there are some on the radical left who want to remove guns completely. I am not addressing them.

I for one support these actions for responsible gun owners. I am frankly taken back that you believe doing so is an infringement on the rights to bear arms.

You certainly are not promoting the laws would be waved for illegal aliens, would you?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
IMO, the increased risks of simply having a firearm in a classroom far outweigh the very small chance that a teacher will be able to be to engage an active shooter.

Very small chance huh?

So do you think that all of this hoopla about taking steps to keep school children safe from mass shooters, is nothing more than political grandstanding?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0