US
✟1,096,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio school districts could begin arming employees as soon as this fall under a bill signed into law Monday by GOP Gov. Mike DeWine.

Ohio governor signs bill allowing armed school employees

good-good-clapping-hands.gif

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, interesting. If I was a teacher I wouldn't want to be armed. I wonder if some teachers have a choice to opt out?

...it's not mandatory. The new law requires less firearms training should a teacher decide to be armed. The local school board needs to approve as well:

While employees have for years been allowed to carry guns on school grounds with the consent of the local school board, the Ohio Supreme Court ruled in 2021 that state law required them to first undergo the same basic peace officer training as law enforcement officials or security officers who carry firearms on campus — entailing more than 700 hours of instruction.

That ruling, Mr. DeWine said on Monday, had made it largely impractical for Ohio school districts to allow staff members to carry firearms.

Under the new law, a maximum of 24 hours of training will be enough for teachers to carry guns at school, though the local board will still need to give its approval. Twenty-eight states allow people other than security personnel to carry firearms on school grounds, with laws in nine of those states explicitly mentioning school employees, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Polls in recent years show that a majority of Americans, and a large majority of teachers, oppose the idea of arming teachers.

Ohio Makes It Easier for Teachers to Carry Guns at School

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This idea seems to come up after every school shooting, but this is the first time that I can recall that an entire state has been stupid enough to implement it. I remember seeing a quote (supposedly from Ice-T) about the idea that said something like "How can you think it's a good idea to arm teachers after seeing them try to operate an overhead projector?" I agree with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are ten states that have made to wise choice to allow teachers to bear arms in defense of themselves and the children they care for:

• Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Michigan
  • Missouri
  • New Hampshire
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • South Dakota
  • Utah

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They can get them on the street a whole lot easier.
Having an armed teacher with a gun on the hip is just asking for a student to grab it.

And having it locked in a drawer isn't going to help when a shooter bursts through the door.

Just a bad idea all around from my point of view.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having an armed teacher with a gun on the hip is just asking for a student to grab it.

And having it locked in a drawer isn't going to help when a shooter bursts through the door.

Just a bad idea all around from my point of view.

Thank you for your polite response and clearly stating your point of view. It is what makes this place a great place to post.

My POV is the exact opposite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Things have changed, times have changed ….there is lawlessness in cities throughout the country….. I could go off on why…. but that’s another subject.

The fact is… it’s not guns…. it’s what the world refers to as mentally deranged … but spiritually, they are possessed people.

Arming some anonymous staff is ok, but I think it needs to go further. Stopping the threat before they have a chance to breach the classrooms is a must.

I propose an armed security at the entrance with access to a drop-down security gate. These are not motorized; these drop within a matter of seconds when activated. Simultaneously when the gate is activated an alert is broadcast throughout the school when a threat is detected. Obviously logistical details would need to be adapted to each entrance.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Do you feel the same way about police carrying guns?

having it locked in a drawer isn't going to help when a shooter bursts through the door.

What about when a shooter bursts through the door across the hall?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what is a shooter grabs a student in hallway coming from bathroom?

would a teacher shoot the student to get to dangerous person?

such short training period
there's no way a teacher would know how to react to different situations

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what is a shooter grabs a student in hallway coming from bathroom?

would a teacher shoot the student to get to dangerous person?

such short training period
there's no way a teacher would know how to react to different situations

It is hard to answer that question because it doesn't make any sense in reality. If you are there to save the child's life, why would you think of killing the child? Self defeating.

What if's we will never run out of them. The real question I believe is the child safer with a person who can offer an armed response or someone who cannot?

OGDEN, Utah -- An armed school employee in Utah held off an attempted kidnapping suspect at gunpoint until officers arrived, police said.

The incident occurred Tuesday when a man grabbed an 11-year-old girl at a school playground in Ogden. Police say he tried to pull her away until the school employee demanded he leave.

The man let the girl go and the employee took all the children inside, then produced a gun and held the man off when he punched a window in an apparent attempt to force his way inside, police said.
Then there is this: it is a bit dated, but as far as I can find, it is still accurate.

The report’s conclusion: “There hasn’t been a single mass public shooting in any school that allows teachers and staff to carry guns legally. Since at least as far back as January 2000, not a single shooting-related death or injury has occurred during or anywhere near class hours on the property of a school that allows teachers to carry.”​

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you feel the same way about police carrying guns?

No, because a police are not in close contact with kids every school day that either are not aware of what a gun is capable of and would grab it from the holster because they saw one on TV or they are currious. Or they are dealing with teens full of hormons and emotions and the teacher gets carless and the student is able to grab the gun.

I was in a Starbuck years back and a police officer was in frount of my family in line. At one point my wife had to remind me to back off from the officer because I was getting to close to his side that had his weapon. I am not useally around someone with a weapon on them, but my wife use to be so I backed off.

I can't imagine how distracting to a teacher that who is geared to helping students to have to be aware who is close to their weapon.

What about when a shooter bursts through the door across the hall?
I don't see it helping the class across the hall. That teacher would probably lock the door first, or get their class away before they get their weapon our of that drawer. And they might not want to charge the shooter.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0