Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is my question. What kind of restrictions are going to be in place. My sister is a teacher and she is an intelligent and accomplished woman. She is also the last person I would trust with a gun in any situation let alone an active shooter being involved. How are we going to determine whom should NOT have a weapon?
In the same way, they determine who in law enforcement should have a weapon.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What are the requirements to buy a gun? I think it's more than a trigger finger. Isn't it bad enough without exaggerating?

The papers listed about two dozen mass shooters who all obtained their weapons legally. I may be exaggerating, but not by a whole lot.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The papers listed about two dozen mass shooters who all obtained their weapons legally. I may be exaggerating, but not by a whole lot.
Even if that is true there are many, many more people (possibly some shooters) who have tried to buy guns and been turned down because they couldn't meet the legal requirements.
Red flag laws are being used to temporarily remove firearms from unstable people. Maybe preventing mass shootings.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Shhh... don't blow this for me; I'm trying to get a free PS5 from the GOP...

I hope for your sake that you’re white and at least upper middle class, because they’re the only ones to whom the GOP willingly gives free handouts.

That apparently depends. Not everyone is destined to be a door kicker. You might have great aptitude for shilling in some air conditioned cargo container on Djibouti and launching few hellfire missiles from Predator drone to smoke that civilian car that you were told is a terrorist get away vehicle in Pakistan tribal areas.

Do Gamers Make Better Drone Operators Than Pilots? | Air & Space Magazine| Smithsonian Magazine

Even if those drones aren't controlled by AI yet do you ever wonder if any US military personnel are actually controlling some ordinance flying over Russian columns in Ukraine ?

Wonder there haven't been any gofundme projects to launch some homemade bomb drones then sticking them to enemy troops. Highest donor gets to choose targets for the operator. Legal implications would be fascinating.

Is there a place in this militia for me, a dirty camper?

In all fairness, Apex Legends taught me one valuable lesson in combat survival: Do Not Engage.

Most AL players don't realize that the game offers more XP for time survived than it does for scoring kills -- so while most players charge in at the first sounds of a firefight, I beat feet in the opposite direction... which is, IMO, the most sensible thing to do in any scenario when one hears gunfire.

As a result, I usually finish in at least the top five... and on two separate occasions, my squad won the game without firing a shot.

Kind of how pubg works, too. It’s pretty easy to make top 10 if you run around the woods collecting loot for 20 minutes.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One key difference here: All of the people involved went prepared to be in a form of a gun fight. They’re wearing protective gear and have all consented to be there and have at least an idea of where the shooting is going to start coming from. They’re not a group of teachers and students calmly sitting in a classroom one morning going over multiplication tables one minute and then having to suddenly react to a gunman bursting in the door and shooting people dead.

Yeah and the gunman could be down the hall in another room to. I don’t recall anyone expecting teachers to be a QuickDraw. In most cases if an armed attacker enters the room you won’t have time to get your gun especially if it’s locked in a lockbox. But other armed teachers on campus can defend themselves and their students and maybe even take out the attacker. So let’s not be ignorant and only examine the situations where it probably wouldn’t be beneficial let’s be honest and examine multiple situations where it can be beneficial.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,508.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Good grief. The most, literally the most astounding thing about this is that the guy gets paid for telling that carrying a can of pea soup empowers you to overcome active shooter.

Are they going to establish NCGA (National Canned Goods Association) to ensure safety in school rooms and why not everywhere else too. Imagine how safe the clubs and concerts would be with everyone carrying food tins. Gang prestige could be demonstrated by what canned items they carried around.
Tin throwing ranges, competitions, more aerodynamical models, density calculations oh my the possibilities.

It is like the movie idiocracy but happening right now.

'You can have my can of peaches when you prise it out of my cold, dead hands!'

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟898,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most teachers do not want to be turned into armed school security guards: Eric Foster

"you should know that the list of people who testified in opposition to the bill is long. Many, many more people testified in opposition to the bill than in support of it."

"I didn’t see testimony from one single Ohio teacher who said that he or she supported HB 99."
Well, as long as carrying is not mandatory for employment way I see it if a teacher does not want to carry he or she does not have to do so.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,508.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That apparently depends. Not everyone is destined to be a door kicker.

Therein lies the crux of the matter.

If you join the Marines, it's not going to come as a big surprise to you that they teach you to kill people. It won't come as much of a surprise to find out that they need you to to be profficient in a number of ways of ending a life. Including face to face. When the other guy is screaming for his mother and it takes a lot longer and there's a lot more blood than you see in any John Wayne movie. But this is what you signed up for.

And still, as you say, some guys don't make it. Even when they knew what it was going to entail, some guys just don't have the right stuff. And this is after intense training over a period of many weeks. When you're at an age when you are physically and mentally at the top of your game. And even if you are the best in class, then in a matter of actual life and death when the adrenalin is off the scale, mistakes happen and innocent people get killed.

And people want to take a third grade teacher, give her a few hours to familiarise herself with a deadly weapon (which she'll need to keep securely locked up), get her to play paintball for an afternoon and then expect her to be some sort of deterrent to a guy with a semi automatic assault weapon.

Fantasy.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,508.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Samuel Marshall was exposed as being a liar. Only 15% of American troops fired their weapon in WWII yet we were able to March thru Europe all the way to Berlin and win the war? Refusal to fight in a battle was punishable by court martial and possibly execution by fire squad although no one was ever sentenced to execution. So your talking about 80-85% of soldiers refusing to fight and the officers did nothing about this? Out of the 50 million soldiers who fought in the war only 7.5 million actually participated in it? I think you’ve been taken by an impossible tall tale.

You need to read the article. At no point was it ever claimed that soldiers refused to fight. That was explicitly noted. They still stormed the beaches. They still advanced. They still pushed back the enemy. But beading on a guy and pulling the trigger knowing that you are going to end his life, knowing that he's just some schmuck from a school that was drafted just as you were, knowing that he has a family and kids...it's not easy.

It's always been thus. Thousands of muskets have been found at Gettysburg that had never been fired. That still had the shot loaded. That in some cases had multiple shots loaded.

' Along with the numerous corpses littered about the battlefield, at least 27,574 rifles (I’ve also seen 37,574 listed) were recovered. Of the recovered weapons, a staggering 24,000 were found to be loaded, either 87% or 63%, depending on which number you accept for the total number of rifles. Of the loaded rifles, 12,000 were loaded more than once and half of these (6,000 total) had been loaded between three and ten times.' Almost every rifle recovered at Gettysburg was fully loaded and no one knows why

You've been conned by every cowboy and war movie you've ever seen. You've been conned into thinking that all someone needs is a loaded gun and a couple of hours explaining which end the bullet comes out and the problem is solved.

The NRA has done it's work. They've conned you as well. They've dragged you down this monstrously idiotic path to insane solutions and you've forgotten where the reasonable discussions should be held. Now gun control isn't on the table for discussion. Now it's cans of peaches and paintball.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,508.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well, as long as carrying is not mandatory for employment way I see it if a teacher does not want to carry he or she does not have to do so.

And of course, you don't think any blame will accrue if there's a law passed so the third grade teacher could have been armed but wasn't? That blame won't shift from the NRA to school teachers? That the discussion re gun control will be forgotten and people then start asking not why there aren't better gun controls but why more people aren't being armed.

You are being taken for a ride.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,508.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah and the gunman could be down the hall in another room to. I don’t recall anyone expecting teachers to be a QuickDraw. In most cases if an armed attacker enters the room you won’t have time to get your gun especially if it’s locked in a lockbox. But other armed teachers on campus can defend themselves and their students and maybe even take out the attacker. So let’s not be ignorant and only examine the situations where it probably wouldn’t be beneficial let’s be honest and examine multiple situations where it can be beneficial.

So rather than address the actual problem of a mentally unstable 18 year old buying a semi automatic assualt weapon over the counter, we're now at the point of saying 'Well, at least it was only one or two classrooms of kids that were massacred'.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Even if that is true there are many, many more people (possibly some shooters) who have tried to buy guns and been turned down because they couldn't meet the legal requirements.
Red flag laws are being used to temporarily remove firearms from unstable people. Maybe preventing mass shootings.

Guess which political party opposes red flag laws?

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I hope for your sake that you’re white and at least upper middle class, because they’re the only ones to whom the GOP willingly gives free handouts.

You think I'd even joke about carrying a firearm if I wasn't?

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟995,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You've been conned by every cowboy and war movie you've ever seen. You've been conned into thinking that all someone needs is a loaded gun and a couple of hours explaining which end the bullet comes out and the problem is solved.

Thanks. You just put perfectly into words what I could not seem to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I spoke earlier about that slippery slope. It's the reason the military does not want permission to use torture. Once it's been permitted, it will become expected, then once expected, it will become mandated.

The same thing will happen with arming teachers. First it will be permitted. After the next school shooting, it will become expected. Finally, it will become mandated.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People keep mocking this statement but so far no one has had the guts to point out anything that I stated in that post that is incorrect. So if you disagree with something in particular in that post let’s discuss it like adults rather than resorting to childish teasing that doesn’t really make any strong points about the conversation at all.

After all is said and done, your paintball experience means nothing because the teachers won't have it...and you, if anyone, should realize what that means for them.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a parent, do I have a right to know if my child is class with a teacher who is armed? Do I have the opportunity to opt if I disapprove of that?

I wouldn't feel my teen was safe if a teacher had a gun
too many chances for accidental discharge OR a kid taking the gun

this year at middle school, boys were fighting in the hallway, many incidents of bullying, and several teens saying "I want to kill myself!"

so some teen who is depressed & wants to die takes gun from teacher, kills teacher, couple students, & then themselves?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't feel my teen was safe if a teacher had a gun
too many chances for accidental discharge OR a kid taking the gun

this year at middle school, boys were fighting in the hallway, many incidents of bullying, and several teens saying "I want to kill myself!"

so some teen who is depressed & wants to die takes gun from teacher, kills teacher, couple students, & then themselves?
The whole educational system needs a revamp. Start with school choice.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The whole educational system needs a revamp. Start with school choice.

not much choice where we live

there have been school shootings in our state
some schools got metal detectors at entry way since then

I've been messaging superintendent to do the same

Upvote 0