Vance

Contributor
Jul 16, 2003
✟23,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But, John, the problem is that men have varied in their interpretation of Genesis 1 throughout the history of the Church. It is not as if there is one accepted and proven interpretation which all Christians agree is correct.

Yes, the Bible is the cornerstone. And I believe that the cornerstone concept is "Hey, I created all of this, and I did it for a reason. Now listen up to what I have to say . . ."

Remember Geocentrism and tread carefully.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Vance said:
But, John, the problem is that men have varied in their interpretation of Genesis 1 throughout the history of the Church. It is not as if there is one accepted and proven interpretation which all Christians agree is correct.

Well, then we got a lot of work ahead of us don't we? Jesus is not going to return for His Bride before we are all of one mind and one accord.

That may not happen with Dr. Dino though. As likeable as he is, he is still into conspiracy theorys. To me that is a red flag that he will be going into the tribulation period and that he will not be joining us. Unless something were to happen to bring about a change with him.

Upvote 0

Vance

Contributor
Jul 16, 2003
✟23,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does being "without spot or wrinkle" mean without disagreement? If it does, I doubt the Second Coming will ever take place!

But seriously, on these particular issues, it took the Church a good long while to come to agreement on heliocentrism (I think the "official" recognition didn't come from the Pope until the late 1800's and I remember some Pentecostal tracts still asserting Geocentrism in the 60's!), so I am not surprised the Old Earth and Regional Flood are taking a while to reach consensus.

Upvote 0

Achichem

Faithful
Aug 9, 2003
✟1,857.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
JohnR7 said:
Of course we know that Adam and Eve were very recent, and did not come along until 6000 years ago. Again, this pretty much lines up with what science tells us, that civilized man came on the scene about 6000 to 10,000 years ago. Only of course they feel man evolved, rather than that God created man. Or some believe in theist evolution.

I don't know if this has been adress yet, but

Adam and eve are not necessarily very resent, you see... It talks about them in the garden and remember they at that time had infinite life. I don't know maybe I missing something here (haven?t read that part of genesis in awhile). But do you really know how long they where in that garden?

Upvote 0

Vance

Contributor
Jul 16, 2003
✟23,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Correct. Also, I think it says that he was created outside the garden, then placed inside of it. The garden was not created at the beginning of the creation process, so most of God's creation was existing *outside* of the garden. What was going on out there while Adam and then Eve were inside the self-contained paradise? Obviously not paradise, or there would be no purpose in the separation of a specific garden area.

Then Adam was sent back out *into* the world outside the garden. That "outside" was not just created at that moment, it had obviously been there all throughout and included all that God had created other than what was in the garden (which, following the creation timeline, means everything except Man).

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
JohnR7 said:
Well, then we got a lot of work ahead of us don't we? Jesus is not going to return for His Bride before we are all of one mind and one accord.

Well, that's not going to happen until somebody rounds up all the non-believers and puts them up against the wall.

That may not happen with Dr. Dino though. As likeable as he is, he is still into conspiracy theorys. To me that is a red flag that he will be going into the tribulation period and that he will not be joining us. Unless something were to happen to bring about a change with him.

As likeable as Dr. Dino may seem, he is still a complete and utter quack. I think that might be a slightly bigger problem than his conspiracy theories.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Vance said:
What was going on out there while Adam and then Eve were inside the self-contained paradise? Obviously not paradise, or there would be no purpose in the separation of a specific garden area.

Cain was a little bit worried about it, when he had to leave Eden. He was worried that someone was going to kill him.

Genesis 4:14
Surely You have driven me out this day from the face of the ground; I shall be hidden from Your face; I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond on the earth, and it will happen that anyone who finds me will kill me."

Then Adam was sent back out *into* the world outside the garden. That "outside" was not just created at that moment, it had obviously been there all throughout and included all that God had created other than what was in the garden (which, following the creation timeline, means everything except Man).

They were driven out of the Garden in Eden, but they were not driven out of the Land of Eden. I think that life was better in Eden then what it was out in the world. But not as nice as it was in the Garden of Eden.

Upvote 0

Vance

Contributor
Jul 16, 2003
✟23,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about one segment of His Church which is skeptical of doctrines propounded by another part of His Church (such as YEC's who are skeptical of OE's and TE's and vice-versa). Come to think of it, I think that would include just about all of Christianity. Probably includes a lot of scoffers as well. I know a lot of leading YEC's (including Hovind) who make a good living out of scoffing at the beliefs of other Christians.

The point is that we are all part of the Church, no less so because we hold differing opinions on matters that do not effect our own salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Vance said:
The point is that we are all part of the Church, no less so because we hold differing opinions on matters that do not effect our own salvation.

Yes, that is fine, if you just want to go off to a mountain top somewhere to pray and fast and wait for Jesus to come a get us. But that is not what we are told to do. We are told to take the gospel to the very ends of the world. In doing so we will need to be prepared to answer any question anyone may have about the Bible.

Second of all, we have to be concerned with our youth and how we are going to educate them. If they are being told one thing in sunday school class and something else in science class, then this may cause a issue that we could consider dealing with.

Or we could send them to a private christian school and hire Dr. Dino to teach them about science. Then we could get Nathan to teach them about American literature. But by the time you do that, it sort of makes you wonder if they would not be better off in public schools.

Upvote 0

Vance

Contributor
Jul 16, 2003
✟23,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John said:

"Second of all, we have to be concerned with our youth and how we are going to educate them. If they are being told one thing in sunday school class and something else in science class, then this may cause a issue that we could consider dealing with."

Now you are talking! This is, indeed, a MAJOR problem and one which I think should be at the forefront of our battle today. We should NOT be teaching our kids YEC'ism as an absolute truth knowing that they will eventually be confronted with such incredibly strong evidence that the Earth and the entire universe are billions of years old. Even for those who believe in a young Earth, it behooves them to make sure our kids know that this is but one possible interpretation and that many other Christians believe very differently on this point. Thus, if they later are confronted with the evidence for an old earth and find it persuasive, it will not undermine their faith in the rest of the Scripture.

We owe it to our children.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
JohnR7 said:
Yes, that is fine, if you just want to go off to a mountain top somewhere to pray and fast and wait for Jesus to come a get us. But that is not what we are told to do. We are told to take the gospel to the very ends of the world. In doing so we will need to be prepared to answer any question anyone may have about the Bible.

Fair enough.

Second of all, we have to be concerned with our youth and how we are going to educate them. If they are being told one thing in sunday school class and something else in science class, then this may cause a issue that we could consider dealing with.

Well, that's easily solved:

Science classes will not teach anything about salvation, redemption, or man's relationship with God,
And Sunday School classes will not teach anything about biology, geology, or zoology.

As long as we keep facts separate from faith, that is, make clear the difference between what we know and what we believe, I don't see any problem. Do you?

Or we could send them to a private christian school and hire Dr. Dino to teach them about science. Then we could get Nathan to teach them about American literature. But by the time you do that, it sort of makes you wonder if they would not be better off in public schools.

Dr. Dino teaches science? Tell me you're kidding. Dr. Frankenstein would make a more competent science teacher. :eek:

As for me teaching American Lit, let me ask you: What kind of starting salary are we talking about? Is there a dental plan? What's the 401(k)? :)

Upvote 0

LorentzHA

Electric Kool-Aid Girl
Aug 8, 2003
Dallas, Texas
✟3,521.00
Faith
Other Religion
Jet Black said:
in fact he missed out three whole kingdoms: prokaryotes, eukaryotes and fungi. are we to conclude that none of these things exist?

Not to be nit picky but Eukarya (Eukaryotes) is a "Domain". It is the ones humans belong to, as well as plants. Good point, if it does not exist, then we do not exist. Our Kingdom is "Anamalia". :)

Upvote 0

LorentzHA

Electric Kool-Aid Girl
Aug 8, 2003
Dallas, Texas
✟3,521.00
Faith
Other Religion
JohnR7 said:
First God will gather together His church. Then He will deal with the skeptics and the scoffers.

I find this to be incongruent with what Chrisitianity teaches about God. I thought he was a God of love and forgiveness?? I was under the impression that your Jesus came to Earth to save ALL mankind...was that not a one time deal? How could this God that sent "his son" to forgive mankind, not forgive one of his wayward "lost" children....how odd!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mainframes

Aug 6, 2003
Bristol
✟15,831.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
JohnR7 said:
First God will gather together His church. Then He will deal with the skeptics and the scoffers.

Well seeing as I don't believe there is a God i'm not really going to scared by this am I. Thats like saying that freddy kruger will come and get me when I know he is only a film character......

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Mainframes said:
Well seeing as I don't believe there is a God i'm not really going to scared by this am I.

Really, there is nothing to fear, if you did believe in a God, then you would know that He is just and fair and does not treat anyone in a unjust way. People will only receive what is rightfully do to them.

As long as you treat people right and live a good life then what do you have to worry about?

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
LorentzHA said:
I was under the impression that your Jesus came to Earth to save ALL mankind...was that not a one time deal?

There are three popular theorys today. One is as you suggest a theory of universalism, that all will be saved.

The second theory is that some will be saved and some will be destroyed. As if they were brute beasts.

The third theory is that some will be saved and some will be eternally tormented.

Upvote 0

ikester7579

Jan 10, 2003
Florida
✟1,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
JohnR7 said:
I have seen surveys where a lot of Christians claim to be YEC. This is difficult for me to understand. It seems to me with science making the claims they do, for the age of the earth that the logical thing for the average person to do is to believe that the "days" in the week of creaton were ages of an unknown length of time. That pretty much goes along with what science feels took place from their study of the natural record. So that from what we currently know, there does not seem to be any conflict between the natural record and what Moses tells us about creation in the first chapter of Genesis.

Of course we know that Adam and Eve were very recent, and did not come along until 6000 years ago. Again, this pretty much lines up with what science tells us, that civilized man came on the scene about 6000 to 10,000 years ago. Only of course they feel man evolved, rather than that God created man. Or some believe in theist evolution.

My question is, other than the YEC 24 hour day people. Is there anyone that has any problem with the OEC theory of creation?

The problem with OEC(old earth creationist)
The OECs believe that God created the earth, but it took a lot longer than is stated in the word of God. This is explained by science, not anything God has said or done. This poses several problems.
1) It means that the word of God is not true! How OECs explain this is: The word of God was written and rewritten by falliblle men. So there is no longer the true word of God around. It's all been lost. Who determines what is true and not true in the word of God? Fallible man?
2) They mix the findings of science(fallible man) to explain their interpation of how God created. In most instances the theory of evolution(fallible man) is used.
3) Then we have the Big Bang. The Big Bang theory(fallible man) trys to explain the creation by way of science. God spoke things into existance. Big Bang says that he did not and that it all happened in a scientific way(fallible man).
4) In saying that God used evolution to create man because he never said he created all things in complete form, is calling God an ape! God said he made "man" in his own image. And if according to evolution, man was first an ape. Then would that not also make God an ape? And since evolution is speciation, how is God supposed to evolve into what we are now? I am not going to heaven to worship an ape!
5) OECs agree with science that the earth is old because of how far the stars are away from our planet, and how long it takes for light to travel that far. I can see were someone can be confused on this. But actually it very simple. When God created, he created the light before he created the object that produced the light. In Genesis 1:3-5 we see this. 3. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
And then in Gensis 1:14-15 we see more light being created. We also see lights(more than one) in the firmament. Then the stars to produce this are added later.
14. And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15. And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
And then in Genesis 1:16-19 we see the objects that produce light being made. And because these objects are producing light, God no longer has to produce light so he intern makes the light from these objects seperate for day and night. The sun, moon and stars are made. But again the light was already there.
16. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18. And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
So we see that God created the "light" before he created the objects that produced them. Which means the light from these objects did not have to travel for billions of years to reach earth. The light was already there. Where did the light come from? Because God is light he was able to create light from himself. Then you might ask: How did the light produced from him travel out to the stars that he created? Because God is the alpha and omega(begining and end), everything he creates is also from the begining to end. Which means: the light That God created from himself (the begining or alpha) reached to the end(omega) of the universe instantly. Because the light from God is perfect light.... Then you might also ask how did earth cool down so quick so God could create all these other things to live? Here again the alpha and omega come in. He created which took heat(Alpha) and then cooled it(omega). When you apply what God is, alpha and omega, to all that science cannot explain. It all becomes simple. God can start(alpha) and finish(omega) something at the same time. Just like when he created man in his own image. He started and finished, and there was nothing left undone in his creation. No evolution needed here
psalm's 27:1 The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
psalm's 104:2 Who coverest [thyself] with light as [with] a garment: etc...
How many times have we heard about someone who has died and the light they saw peirced their soul? It was so bright they could not look at it. But they could feel love and warmth from it. God's Perfect light.
Also when God speaks of a day, he gives reference to the light the evening then the next day and the morning. So you are saying that one day was a lot longer way back when? And that these references were wrong. The was no morning, evening or next day?
:scratch:

Upvote 0