Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure why you needed to ask question when the answer's in the linked article:
Oooo, nice spin, but fail. Here's what the article really said:

"many of whom claim that they have had trouble finding a job — decided to protest the jobs fest, claiming the Tabaccos were hosting the employment fair simply for publicity."

The jobs fair had real job opportunities available.

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why do people find it strange the protesters refuse to play a game with rigged rules? I mean, when your message is "this game isn't fair, fix it," being told "just keep playing or else you're lazy and entitled" isn't exactly convincing.

Seriously, let's say they do all sign up for as many jobs as that booth can take, then what? They're still playing by unfair rules, only now they have less time to protest and the protest becomes wholly irrelevant to the owners because they still have players to exploit.

You can't say both "if the wage is too low, quit. That's capitalism at work" at the same time you say "you quit the job? You're lazy and entitled" and expect them to agree with you.

Reactions: Anovah
Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure why you needed to ask question when the answer's in the linked article:
That's what they claimed. But why? If I sincerely wanted a job and someone had a table full of help wanted listings I wouldn't automatically assume "A help wanted ad? The reason people put up help wanted ads is to become famous! Therefore, that's why these guys are doing it." I wouldn't care why they're doing it, so long as the postings are legitimate.

Because it's obvious they weren't serious and it was just a way to poke fun at the protestors and get some free publicity. And Fox was happy to oblige.
Poke fun at them for what? You mean for lying when they said they want a job? If a man is genuinely thirsty he wouldn't turn down a glass of water over something so trivial.

These people knew they were caught in their lies. That is why they reacted like so

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Why do people find it strange the protesters refuse to play a game with rigged rules? I mean, when your message is "this game isn't fair, fix it," being told "just keep playing or else you're lazy and entitled" isn't exactly convincing.

Seriously, let's say they do all sign up for as many jobs as that booth can take, then what? They're still playing by unfair rules, only now they have less time to protest and the protest becomes wholly irrelevant to the owners because they still have players to exploit.

You can't say both "if the wage is too low, quit. That's capitalism at work" at the same time you say "you quit the job? You're lazy and entitled" and expect them to agree with you.

That's the very essence of bullying I've seen from the Religious Right 2.0/Tea Party (non-libertarian) since 2000. They try to put their opponents in a catch-22, meaning that they are seen in a bad light no matter what they do. Of course, the liberals/moderates that do want to prove to conservatives otherwise can't because the expectations cannot be met, they raised the bar to impossible levels, so all they can do is fail as conservatives chuckle in the background and call them lazy and entitled, even though they probably worked 10 times as hard as any of those deriders have in their lives...

It's one thing to make expectations for your opponents and they can make them. It's another to just dangle the carrot on the stick endlessly and keep moving the goalposts until they finally have no choice but to surrender. Kind of reminds me of MachZer0's "chase your own tail" debating, only in actions rather than words.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

If they wanted jobs they would have gone for the opportunity. Reread what you wrote there: "If they signed up for jobs(which they claim they desire) then they might not be able to protest about not having a job". These people literally said "I can't get a job". That was their protest. The guys brought them opportunities for jobs. They did not even bother. Therefore, they don't really want jobs. What they want are handouts.
The OP has nothing to do with that and everything to do with Occupiers claiming they want jobs, but then turning down the opportunity for a job. They didn't even look. They just became sanctimonious and showed their true colors.

That's the very essence of bullying I've seen from the Religious Right 2.0/Tea Party (non-libertarian) since 2000. They try to put their opponents in a catch-22, meaning that they are seen in a bad light no matter what they do.
They don't have to try and put them there. They put themselves there. If these people had actually wanted job opportunities, rather than handouts, then they would have gone up to the table and at least looked. The reality is they don't really want jobs. They're all talk. What they want is handouts. I read an article about a woman at the protest who actually DID want a job. She had a sign saying that she has a master's in some biochemistry, and a couple other things. A Wall Street exec walked by and hired her that day. She could make six digits in the next year or two. She actually wanted a job.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, with the OWS protesters it really isn't hard to paint them in a bad light, because there's so much bad light there.

Really all they did is shine a light on Occupy hypocrisy. "You just want publicity" is a lame excuse not to get a job. They'll always have some lame excuse. If their times were really so tough such a little thing wouldn't stop them. These groups riot in the streets, rape people, and throw bricks through windows "because they've been pushed into such a desperate situation". Yeah, sure. Desperate enough to rape and pillage, but not enough to set their overwhelming pride aside and look at a piece of paper with a job posting. For three years I worked at a fast food place. It really rubbed my pride the wrong way. I didn't like the image. But pay was pay, and it was honest work. I didn't like working in a factory either. It definitely wasn't glamorous. But I set aside my pride because it was an honest job and I needed the pay. These people looked at all those job opportunities laying right in front of them on the one hand. Then on the other hand they looked at the slight suspicion of risking a mere fraction of a second where someone might look down on them. They decided the former was not worth the latter. They're after handouts and an easy ride, not a chance at working hard to make something of themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If they wanted jobs they would have gone for the opportunity. Reread what you wrote there: "If they signed up for jobs(which they claim they desire) then they might not be able to protest about not having a job". These people literally said "I can't get a job". That was their protest. The guys brought them opportunities for jobs. They did not even bother. Therefore, they don't really want jobs. What they want are handouts.

The OP has nothing to do with that and everything to do with Occupiers claiming they want jobs, but then turning down the opportunity for a job. They didn't even look. They just became sanctimonious and showed their true colors.

Their argument is that they want fair jobs, not just a job. Offering them an unfair job and calling them hypocrites and liars for "not wanting a job" shows a lack of understanding to their grievances.

A protester says "I want a job with a living wage," and you're somehow surprised they didn't buy "that's great, tell me all about it while you make me money for less than a living wage?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phileas

Aug 31, 2009
✟8,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You look for graduate jobs nowadays there will be limited graduate schemes with some companies, but the majority advertised will be commission only sales jobs. Trust me, these suck.

This does just sound like a publicity stunt to put the protesters in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Upvote 0

Nurbz

Apr 6, 2007
✟8,607.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Here's the situation with the OWS generation:
They've been force-fed all their lives by parents, teachers and government ads that college is required to get a job that supports them, so they go 30k-100k in debt just for a bachelor's degree, only to graduate to find that's the bare minimum now and that business sent the jobs they went to college for to other countries.

Now everyone has a degree, there aren't enough jobs, and people who pushed them to spend money to get a real education to avoid flipping burgers are telling them they are "Entitled hippies that think they're too good to flip burgers!!"

If there's anyone to blame it's the Gen-X and baby-boomer generations for demonizing menial and manual labor and giving manufacturing jobs that don't require degrees to communists for 40 years while causing a surplus of degree holding waiters and retail workers.

Reactions: Chajara
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

CTD

May 24, 2011
✟1,499.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Here's the situation with the OWS generation:
They've been force-fed all their lives by parents, teachers and government ads that college is required to get a job that supports them, so they go 30k-100k in debt just for a bachelor's degree, only to graduate to find that's the bare minimum now and that business sent the jobs they went to college for to other countries.
It is the pseudogovernment which ensured all the jobs were exported. Both halves of the two-party system adamantly insisted Americans must not manufacture anything. These elitists do not represent the American people; they resent even the most subtle insinuation that they should serve rather than rule as parasitic overlords.

As leftists, the "Occupy" dupes are stuck in a self-defeating, self-contradictory position. They insist that America must be brought down, yet they themselves live in America. They insist we must have a police state, yet complain about the way the rudimentary police state treats them.

Upvote 0