Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You sure it wasn't hypocrisy I was alluding to?

Positive.

Most of those threads don't even have a viable position/argument (other than they hate Trump) and usually end up going down a rabbit hole.

LOL! I'm talking about hypothetical threads and you talking about threads that exist only in your imagination. It's probably time to end this particular sidebar and get back to starting threads about AOC.

(Kudos for squeezing in the "hate Trump" trope though. :oldthumbsup:)

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it is the rich that is standing in people's way, I think it's the government. If I cook some food in my house and attempt to sell it on a street corner, some people will question if the food I am selling is safe to eat, so at their request the Government will require I get specific training and licenses that show I am capable of making food in a sanitary way to sell. The same thing if I make a tool, or machine; the Government requires I get training and licenses; not the rich.

And, of course, the rich have no influence over what the government does.

In those places overseas I mentioned, the usual entry-level street business is selling "loosies," selling one cigarette at a time out of a pack. We know what happens if you try that here.

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No, it's the rich. They hoard most of the wealth and exploit you for your labor. All the government asks is that if you're going to cook food on the corner, you follow basic procedures so that you don't make people sick. That's not an unreasonable request.
Ringo
Try it. Try selling vegetables you've grown in your yard or cheap Chinese knockoff sneakers on the street corner.

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The world is starting now. THE BIG THREE

Energy production is one of the biggest changes now in process. The amount of power generated by solar and wind goes up exponentially each year (and is now economically profitable). Nuclear power is accepted by most of the world, with dozens of new plants under construction. Coal plants will not be built in Europe. This will greatly reduce the use of fossil fuels. Also, in somewhat of a plus during this energy transition, natural gas use in power plants has replaced much coal and oil use.

Transportation has changed hugely in the last 2 decades. As far as what is planned, the number of electric autos continues to increase, with very high goals in Europe and China. Throughout the world, there are more and more use of electric transportation. Even the use of natural gas in place of oil is useful in reducing global warming. I would expect electric filling stations to be at almost every gas station in a decade or two, much as diesel is now. The issue being worked on is a "quick" charge. Using current technology, the charge takes too long. The issue with electric cars is battery technology, which is improving every day. Government subsidies of electric vehicles is in place, and may be needed for another decade.

The consumption of meat is a huge problem with regard to global warming and the use of energy. I don't know the stats, but I do believe the trend is to use less. And this is certainly a matter of political will. Would the public support large taxes on meat? Surely, bans of the use of meat won't work.
======
There are also European trends that we don't see. For example,there is much greater use of light colored roads instead of blacktop.

We make much of the US withdrawing from the climate accords. Much more should be made of the progress by the other 150 countries. Also, there are US government and business leaders that do participate. Many businesses and US governments have made commitments. The results may be equal to that might be expected if the federal government took the lead. Besides, the amount of harm that one president can do in four years is greatly overblown.
=====
As an aside, one of the other great efforts in the world today is saving the forests and reforestation. The amount of forests has a large effect on global warming.

There will be lots and lots of projects, perhaps most financed by private sources and contests. There are many each year. For example, it amy worthwhile to have extensive white "reflectors" on all our roofs, and new roof design that reduces global warming.

One hidden issue is the cost of energy. If this can be reduced, heating by oil or even natural gas should give way to electric heat as was the trend in 50's and 60's.

Which is why we should seriously start now.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Simply a drop in the bucket.
Commonly called chump change.
M-Bob
Yea right. You claim he's never done nothing. And you try to make it look like nothing. He's done more, then either one of us.

Upvote 0