Obama pro/con (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Obama has denounced the man's remarks over and over during this election. That should be the end of the issue.
Ringo

He didn't denounce the guy until his campaign started to get bad mojo, so meh.

Upvote 0

RealDealNeverstop

Is Prayer Your First or Last Action?
Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
#762: Wright isn't the one who said 9E was our foreign policies chickens coming home to roost. That's just an example of the dishonest propaganda taking hold and iam not saying 'ACougar' is knowingly passing bad info but I would suggest research before repeating something like that just so the mis-information can be disabused.

Reactions: DieHappy
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He didn't denounce the guy until his campaign started to get bad mojo, so meh.
Doesn't matter. He denounced the man's remarks. That should be the end of it.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wright suprisingly did quite well and I also applaud him for that.

Joe Klein, writing in Time Magazine today, has a different take on Rev Wright's recent public appearances:

Oy.

And furthermore, I've been to dozens and dozens of African-American church services over the years, including the investiture of one of my friends as an AME minister two years ago, and I have very rarely, if ever, heard the kind of rants that are part of Reverend Wright's canon . . .

Wright's purpose now seems quite clear: to aggrandize himself--the guy is going to be a go-to mainstream media source for racial extremist spew, the next iteration of Al Sharpton--and destroy Barack Obama . . .

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps in the eyes of those who weren't going to vote for Obama in the first place.
Ringo

Here is another liberal at Time Magazine who I guess wasn't going to vote for Obama in the first place:

Maybe Barack Obama skimped on his contribution when the offering plate came past at Trinity United Church of Christ. Or perhaps he nodded off during one of Rev. Jeremiah Wright's sermons. It's hard to think of another reason why the Illinois Senator's former pastor would put on the kind of performance this morning at the National Press Club that can only be described as a political disaster . . .

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1735662,00.html

I seem to recall almost everyone on the left and in the mainstream media being for Obama a few months ago... which was rather frustrating to those of us who were trying to warn people that behind the empty rhetoric about "change" and "hope" there was a Barack Hussein Obama who would never be acceptable to the vast majority of the American public.

So....let me be the first to say:

"We Told You So"

chickensign.gif

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here is another liberal at Time Magazine who I guess wasn't going to vote for Obama in the first place:

I seem to recall almost everyone on the left and in the mainstream media being for Obama a few months ago... which was rather frustrating to those of us who were trying to warn people that behind the empty rhetoric about "change" and "hope" there was a Barack Hussein Obama who would never be acceptable to the vast majority of the American public.

So....let me be the first to say:

"We Told You So"

chickensign.gif

I'm not talking about some liberal at Time. I'm talking about you.

The left what? There is no "The Left" - only single liberals thinking and acting independently.

which was rather frustrating to those of us who were trying to warn people that behind the empty rhetoric about "change" and "hope" there was a Barack Hussein Obama who would never be acceptable to the vast majority of the American public.

You say that, but in lieu of arguments about Obama's platform, we've heard about non-issues like flag lapel pins and Wright instead. So I don't think you have much authority to talk about "empty rhetoric".

"We Told You So"

chickensign.gif

I wonder if the smugness will last through Obama's inauguration....
Ringo

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obama is out today saying in reply to his pastor's lastest speeches that, once again, these "are not statements that I have heard him make previously"

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/politics/blog/2008/04/obama_judge_me_by_my_words_not.html

How is it that many of us knew a year ago what Rev. Wright is all about but Barack Hussein Obama, who has given Wright over $27,000, is just now finding out how extreme he is?
Perhaps the sermons that have been targeted by the news are the exception and not the rule.

But more importantly: who cares?
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0428/p02s02-uspo.html?page=2

McCain fleshes out his economic plan

His challenge is to appeal both to the GOP's tax-cutting faithful and to independents and moderates.

While he seems more principled than his opponents, I think he's let some of his principals slide too far... For instance, the tax cuts may still be to expensive... one could roll them back for higher incomes... increase the Medicare tax caps rather than freeze spending... determine a reasonable retirement savings and create a capital gains taxed based on that... move the alternative minimum tax back into the higher incomes...

Or, of course, propose a flat tax and let people with little income be exempt. That wouldn't solve all the other taxes and tariffs leveled on the poor, but it would put some of the structure in place to do so...

Upvote 0

ews

Sep 8, 2006
Pacific Northwest
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if the smugness will last through Obama's inauguration....
Ringo
If Omama is inaugurated does that mean Rev. Wright was right, it is G.D. America!!

The worst person is put there to handle Health Care.
The worst person is put there to handle the mid-East.
The worst person is put there to handle the economy.
Etc., etc., etc.

We’ll all be in a world of hurt. Let us all…:groupray:

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Senators and Representatives could get voted out if they balanced the budget, but I doubt the president would...

Awww.... it's so hard to balance a budget... awww...

The candidate make a big hurrah about a balanced budget... everyone wants to know who is going to get the short end of the stick. We, it looks like, have reached a point where we aren't going to "grow into" our budget in a reasonable amount of time. So, the best candidate is the one that cuts the pork and excess spending the most...

Upvote 0

ews

Sep 8, 2006
Pacific Northwest
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But more importantly: who cares?
Ringo
Many people care! People cared about John F. Kennedy’s religion and they cared up until they walked into the voting booth. People will care about Barack Obama’s religion too. Nothing you can say to change their minds. We will know in November what the people think.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If Omama is inaugurated does that mean Rev. Wright was right, it is G.D. America!!

Etc., etc., etc.

Etc., etc., etc.

Prove it.

Many people care! People cared about John F. Kennedy’s religion and they cared up until they walked into the voting booth. People will care about Barack Obama’s religion too. Nothing you can say to change their minds. We will know in November what the people think.

People thought that Kennedy would be taking orders directly from the Vatican. When that didn't happen, the naysayers all had egg on their faces. The same will happen with Obama.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Etc., etc., etc.

I take pretty strong exception to this, given that McCain doesn't HAVE a real health care plan, and Hillary's record on health care is one of massive failure.

Add to that the fact that McCain and Hillary both think that sabre rattling and joking about war with Iran are good Middle East policy...

Add to that the fact that McCain and Hillary BOTH pander on the economy without seeming to have any grasp of the effects of their policy proposals (such as a freeze on gas taxes which wouldn't change prices at the pump, but would pour tons more profits into the oil companies)

It seems like you're pretty much wrong on all these policy issues. It appears that this is personal, and people are casting about to try and find a valid policy issue so they don't appear as petty

Upvote 0

MacCoyle

Non-Partisan
Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
✟8,737.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I take pretty strong exception to this, given that McCain doesn't HAVE a real health care plan, and Hillary's record on health care is one of massive failure.

As a son of healthcare providers (psycologists) Ive had to hear about this my whole life. That is partially why I am against Universal Healthcare.

Upvote 0

ews

Sep 8, 2006
Pacific Northwest
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People thought that Kennedy would be taking orders directly from the Vatican. When that didn't happen, the naysayers all had egg on their faces. The same will happen with Obama.
Ringo
And that is your opinion and this is the place, a message board for you to express that opinion. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And that is your opinion and this is the place, a message board for you to express that opinion. :thumbsup:
My opinion perhaps, but it was the exact same type of guilt-by-association that we are seeing in this election. The only difference is that the Pope hasn't made controversial remarks.

Kennedy didn't have to distance himself from the Pope. He proved, through his actions in office, that he didn't receive orders straight from the Vatican.
Ringo

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.