Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I don’t understand how it can continue forever, if it is destroyed in hell.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matt. 10:28
Are you an Annihilationist? Rather than a Damnationist?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for the verse from Malachi representing something closer to "healing", I suppose that would depend on how far you are willing to bend the meaning of the Text, because the "impurities" that will be removed by the "refiner's fire" in Malachi 3:2 are the "people" who the Lord refers to as "tares" in Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43.
I disagree, but what would you say about the launderer's soap then?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I disagree, but what would you say about the launderer's soap then?
In a typical (idiomatic) Hebrew sense, the same thing is stated in two different ways in Malachi 3:2, IOW, both the refiner's fire (which separates the dross and purifies the metal), and the launderer's soap, which removes dirt, grime and filth from clothes (and perhaps whitens them), are saying the very same thing.

If Malachi 3:1-3 is considered to be about the arrival and ministry of John the Baptist alone, then this process must be considered as one of the purifying and cleansing of individuals, first and foremost, and not necessarily one of destroying them.

If, on the other hand, this text is also taken in regard to v2's "the day of the Lord/the day of His coming", then it seems to me that all bets are off, since the time for the purifying/cleansing of individuals will be over, and the time of judgment will then be upon us.

So, is it purification, or is it destruction? I think it could be either/or. One thing seems certain enough though, the verses that I mentioned in my last post, where the Lord speaks of the end of the age, of the angelic reapers who appear at that time, and of the "tares" (in Matthew 13), are about the judgment and destruction of the wicked in the Lake of Fire, not about cleansing and purification.

--David

Matthew 13
24 Jesus presented another parable to them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field.
25 But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away.
26 But when the wheat sprouted and bore grain, then the tares became evident also.
27 The slaves of the landowner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’
28 And he said to them, ‘An enemy has done this!’ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go and gather them up?’
29 “But he said, ‘No; for while you are gathering up the tares, you may uproot the wheat with them.
30 ‘Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat into my barn.”

36 Then He left the crowds and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field.”
37 And He said, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man,
38 and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one;
39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels.
40 So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age.
41 The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,
42 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
43 “Then THE RIGHTEOUS WILL SHINE FORTH AS THE SUN in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Do you know why people say this God is the God of Wrath and Judgement?

What about God is spirit, joy, peace, forbearance, gentleness, forgiveness, merciful, loving?
Scripture tells us that he is a jealous God -Exodus 34:14 .. Joshua 24:19 .. Nahum 1:2-6__
That he is a fearsome God - Nehemiah 1:5 .. Job 25:2 .. Jeremiah 20:11 __ Scripture tells us to fear Him - Psalms 111:10 .. Proverbs 1:7, 9:10 and many others .. Colossians 3:22 .. Matthew 10:28 __
That he has wrath - Ezekiel 7:19, 13:15, 21:31, 22:21 and more .. Hosea 5:10 .. Amos 1:11 .. Matthew 3:7 .. Luke 21:23 .. John 3:36 .. Revelation 14:10 and there are many, many more speaking of his Wrath.
He is also vengeful - Deuteronomy 32:25 .. Luke 21:22 throughout the Old Testament there scriptures concerning his vengeance. So it's safe to say he is all those things. Just like humans are, he created us and as he said, man has become as one of us. David said kiss the Son lest his anger be kindled but a little.
He is love but he is detrimental to those who are against him.
***So it's all a warning to those who are against him*** - his wrath, his anger, his vengeance, his jealousy.
And his love and salvation and mercy is a gift to those who love him. You can't have one without the other and both should be preached about - some call it Scare Tactics, but in the end they'll wish they had been scared straight - and will know what fear of the Lord is, but it's too late.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In a typical (idiomatic) Hebrew sense, the same thing is stated in two different ways in Malachi 3:2, IOW, both the refiner's fire (which separates the dross and purifies the metal), and the launderer's soap, which removes dirt, grime and filth from clothes (and perhaps whitens them), are saying the very same thing.

If Malachi 3:1-3 is considered to be about the arrival and ministry of John the Baptist alone, then this process must be considered as one of the purifying and cleansing of individuals, first and foremost, and not necessarily one of destroying them.

If, on the other hand, this text is also taken in regard to v2's "the day of the Lord/the day of His coming", then it seems to me that all bets are off, since the time for the purifying/cleansing of individuals will be over, and the time of judgment will then be upon us.

So, is it purification, or is it destruction? I think it could be either/or. One thing seems certain enough though, the verses that I mentioned in my last post, where the Lord speaks of the end of the age, of the angelic reapers who appear at that time, and of the "tares" (in Matthew 13), are about the judgment and destruction of the wicked in the Lake of Fire, not about cleansing and purification.

--David

Matthew 13
24 Jesus presented another parable to them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field.
25 But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away.
26 But when the wheat sprouted and bore grain, then the tares became evident also.
27 The slaves of the landowner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’
28 And he said to them, ‘An enemy has done this!’ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go and gather them up?’
29 “But he said, ‘No; for while you are gathering up the tares, you may uproot the wheat with them.
30 ‘Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat into my barn.”

36 Then He left the crowds and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field.”
37 And He said, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man,
38 and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one;
39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels.
40 So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age.
41 The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,
42 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
43 “Then THE RIGHTEOUS WILL SHINE FORTH AS THE SUN in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

It is clear to me that this is about the first advent. The coming of Christ after the forerunner. (John) The purification of the individuals is made clear in verse three. This is not about a final judgment or a destruction of the individuals. (which I don't buy either)

Malachi 3:1-5
“I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come,” says the Lord Almighty.
2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the Lord will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness, 4 and the offerings of Judah and Jerusalem will be acceptable to the Lord, as in days gone by, as in former years.
5 “So I will come to put you on trial. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive the foreigners among you of justice, but do not fear me,” says the Lord Almighty.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Scripture tells us that he is a jealous God -Exodus 34:14 .. Joshua 24:19 .. Nahum 1:2-6__
That he is a fearsome God - Nehemiah 1:5 .. Job 25:2 .. Jeremiah 20:11 __ Scripture tells us to fear Him - Psalms 111:10 .. Proverbs 1:7, 9:10 and many others .. Colossians 3:22 .. Matthew 10:28 __
That he has wrath - Ezekiel 7:19, 13:15, 21:31, 22:21 and more .. Hosea 5:10 .. Amos 1:11 .. Matthew 3:7 .. Luke 21:23 .. John 3:36 .. Revelation 14:10 and there are many, many more speaking of his Wrath.
He is also vengeful - Deuteronomy 32:25 .. Luke 21:22 throughout the Old Testament there scriptures concerning his vengeance. So it's safe to say he is all those things. Just like humans are, he created us and as he said, man has become as one of us. David said kiss the Son lest his anger be kindled but a little.
He is love but he is detrimental to those who are against him.
***So it's all a warning to those who are against him*** - his wrath, his anger, his vengeance, his jealousy.
And his love and salvation and mercy is a gift to those who love him. You can't have one without the other and both should be preached about - some call it Scare Tactics, but in the end they'll wish they had been scared straight - and will know what fear of the Lord is, but it's too late.
It’s weird to me how people like to focus only on the mushy “love” of God, and act like Jesus is some passive hippy who only “loves everyone”, when we are taught about Jesus’ wrath and vengeance on the wicked when he returns to finalize the kingdom of God here on the earth.

God’s character is consistent throughout the whole of Scripture.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s weird to me how people like to focus only on the mushy “love” of God, and act like Jesus is some passive hippy who only “loves everyone”, when we are taught about Jesus’ wrath and vengeance on the wicked when he returns to finalize the kingdom of God here on the earth.

God’s character is consistent throughout the whole of Scripture.
I think we see a bias toward Damnationist doctrine in the translation work. What does Jesus teach us about how to treat our enemies? (defined as godly behavior) - vs 48 Should we expect anything less from God? Or his he really to be likened to a short-tempered volcano god?

The popular doctrine makes God out to be worse than a pagan or a tax collector. (traitor) - vs 46-47 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? - vs 46

Matthew 5:43-48
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we see a bias toward Damnationist doctrine in the translation work.
St. Jerome wrote: "They write down not what they find but what they think is the meaning; and while they attempt to rectify the errors of others, they merely expose their own" (Jerome, Epist. lxxi.5).

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And his love and salvation and mercy is a gift to those who love him.
The popular doctrine makes God out to be worse than a pagan or a tax collector. (traitor) If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?

Matthew 5:46-47 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Furthermore, Salvation is for all people.

1 John 2:2
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Romans 11:32
For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Titus 2:11
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people,

1 Timothy 4:10
That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God,
who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.

1 John 4:14
And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The popular doctrine makes God out to be worse than a pagan or a tax collector. (traitor) If you love those who love you, what reward will

Matthew 5:46-47 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Furthermore, Salvation is for all people.

1 John 2:2
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Romans 11:32
For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Titus 2:11
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people,

1 Timothy 4:10
That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God,
who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.

1 John 4:14
And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.
Not at any time did I say Yeshua didn't come here to save everyone. Everyone will not except his salvation, everyone will not be saved and they will suffer his Wrath.

Towards the end of my statement I wrote of his wrathful nature and his loving nature or didn't you read that.
I didn't write the scriptures, I can only quote scripture as written, just as you can! And I find that people throughout Christianity has had different interpretations of the meaning of scripture. Thus a lot of different denominations.

As it is written: Romans 9:17 -18 ... for the scripture saith unto pharaoh, even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might show my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout the Earth. Therefore he hath mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will - he hardeneth. John 17: 9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou has given me; for they are thine.

All scripture is for the benefit of man to love God and each other, not for the benefit of God.

All scripture is for the Salvation of man to love each other, not for the benefit of God.

All scripture is for The Obedience of man and what will occur to those that disobey, not for the benefit of God. Adam fell, according to scripture, at his first sin, and all mankind suffered the consequences, sickness and death, misery and pain, (which fell not only upon him but all mankind Romans 5:12.)( Romans 6:23 the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ Our Lord.)

He separated man from the Tree of Life. God warned him before hand.

One could go on and on, backwards and forwards, using scriptures - when in fact both are right: right because it is written in Scripture.

• Informative
Reactions: Navair2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not at any time did I say Yeshua didn't come here to save everyone. Everyone will not except his salvation, everyone will not be saved and they will suffer his Wrath.
Are you sure? What do you make of this?

Anyone who has knees to bow and a tongue to speak, in heaven and on earth and under the earth (in the realm of the dead), will whole-heartedly, and without reservation, acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord. No one can say that “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” you will be saved. Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. (the reason for the bodily resurrection)

Philippians 2:10-11
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

1 Corinthians 12:3
Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says,
“Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart
that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Romans 14:9
For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that
he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

Note on "acknowledge" in Philippians 2:11 from Strong's Concordance
S1843 eksomologéō (from 1537 /ek, "wholly out from," intensifying 3670 /homologéō, "say the same thing about") – properly, fully agree and to acknowledge that agreement openly (whole-heartedly); hence, to confess ("openly declare"), without reservation (no holding back).

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you an Annihilationist? Rather than a Damnationist?

I believe what the Bible tells and it says some will be destroyed (body and soul) in hell. Is there some reason to think Bible is wrong about that?

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think we see a bias toward Damnationist doctrine in the translation work. What does Jesus teach us about how to treat our enemies? (defined as godly behavior) - vs 48 Should we expect anything less from God? Or his he really to be likened to a short-tempered volcano god?

The popular doctrine makes God out to be worse than a pagan or a tax collector. (traitor) - vs 46-47 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? - vs 46

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

God taught us how to treat our enemies in every day life a long time ago in the Law of Moses. Jesus reaffirmed it.

God does do good to those who hate him, as we should, but that doesn’t mean that his enemies will not be destroyed. There is a time for everything under the sun.

the main way that God loves the wicked is that he sent Christ to save us from perishing by believing in him.

God’s judgement is coming, and is already here, and he has provided a way of escape. That’s love.

Deuteronomy 32:35 says that vengeance belongs to God, and Paul even taught us to not seek revenge, but to allow God to pay people back for what they’ve done to us Romans 12:19

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe what the Bible tells and it says some will be destroyed (body and soul) in hell. Is there some reason to think Bible is wrong about that?
There are three biblical, but conflicting, doctrinal views of the final judgment.
1) Damnationism
2) Annihilationism
3) Universal Restorationism

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God taught us how to treat our enemies in every day life a long time ago in the Law of Moses. Jesus reaffirmed it.
Better read that passage again. The law of Moses said to hate your enemy. What did Jesus say?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God’s judgement is coming, and is already here, and he has provided a way of escape. That’s love.

Deuteronomy 32:35 says that vengeance belongs to God, and Paul even taught us to not seek revenge, but to allow God to pay people back for what they’ve done to us Romans 12:19
Do you think God will do something worse to our enemies than we could do to them ourselves? Or do you think he is protecting them from us?

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced

Anyone who has knees to bow and a tongue to speak, in heaven and on earth and under the earth (in the realm of the dead), will whole-heartedly, and without reservation, acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord. No one can say that “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” you will be saved. Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. (the reason for the bodily resurrection)

Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says,
“Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

S1843 eksomologéō (from 1537 /ek, "wholly out from," intensifying 3670 /homologéō, "say the same thing about") – properly, fully agree and to acknowledge that agreement openly (whole-heartedly); hence, to confess ("openly declare"), without reservation (no holding back).
I can only go by what scripture says when discussing the Bible and what is written. My personal belief is an untold number of humans that walk the earth will see damnation - as well as an untold number will be granted redemption. From Genesis to Revelstion, it tells us not everyone is going to make it. And in the Bible scripture specifically says - those names not found written in the Lamb's Book of Life will be cast into the Lake of Fire, along with the Devil.
But who am I to discuss scripture with one as learned as yourself. Peace be unto you!

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the main way that God loves the wicked is that he sent Christ to save us from perishing by believing in him.
What about the countless billions that have never so much as heard the name of Jesus? What becomes of them?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can only go by what scripture says when discussing the Bible and what is written. My personal belief is an untold number of humans that walk the earth will see damnation - as well as an untold number will be granted redemption. From Genesis to Revelstion, it tells us not everyone is going to make it. And in the Bible scripture specifically says - those names not found written in the Lamb's Book of Life will be cast into the Lake of Fire, along with the Devil.
But who am I to discuss scripture with one as learned as yourself. Peace be unto you!
I just gave you Bible to discuss. But you refuse. What are you afraid of?

Saint Steven said:

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Better read that passage again. The law of Moses said to hate your enemy. What did Jesus say?

Where does it say to hate your enemy?

I would argue that it teaches the opposite:

Exodus 23:4-5 ESV
If you come upon your enemy’s ox or donkey that has strayed away, take it back to its owner.

If you see that the donkey of someone who hates you has collapsed under its load, do not walk by. Instead, stop and help.

Leviticus 19:18 ESV
You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am Yahweh

Proverbs 24:17-18 ESV
Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest Yahweh see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him.

Proverbs 25:21-22 ESV
If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink, for you will heap burning coals on his head, and Yahweh will reward you

Romans 12:19-21 ESV
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says Yahweh.”

To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Paul uses the OT to teach loving your enemy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.