United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chris Christie, Rand Paul not invited to address NRA

A dozen or so possible Republican presidential candidates are set to speak in Nashville on Friday at the National Rifle Association's annual convention — but the lineup is missing two big names.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, who formally announced his run for president on Tuesday, won't be attending this year's NRA meeting as special guests.
Does Rand stand a chance?

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
From what I understand, Rand Paul is rated fairly high by the NRA. Seems to be more of a scheduling issue?

I still feel he has a better chance than many of the others who seem interested in running. A couple of the ones speaking at the NRA meeting may not even run for the nomination.

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

Sep 23, 2006
✟16,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's 4/11/2105, the election isn't for nearly 2 years. It's too early, I think, to rate anyone's chances with any confidence.

Can a Republican candidate win without the support of the NRA? Yes. There are many Republican voters for whom gun control is not a "litmus test" voting issue. There are republican voters that are Pro-Choice, Anti-Gun, etc. etc.

The trick is to determine how many of those will show up and vote as opposed to the "Take my rifle from my cold dead hand" voters and fund a message to such voters that encourages them to choose a particular candidate.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟213,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's 4/11/2105, the election isn't for nearly 2 years. It's too early, I think, to rate anyone's chances with any confidence.
For the most part, that's true - but I would rate Perry's chance near zero.

Can a Republican candidate win without the support of the NRA? Yes. There are many Republican voters for whom gun control is not a "litmus test" voting issue. There are republican voters that are Pro-Choice, Anti-Gun, etc. etc.
Of course you are correct. The problem for Rand and Cruz, for that matter, is that they are opposed by the establishment Republican Party. I understand that that is what many find appealing about them, but they would need that for the general election.

The trick is to determine how many of those will show up and vote as opposed to the "Take my rifle from my cold dead hand" voters and fund a message to such voters that encourages them to choose a particular candidate.
True enough.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟213,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice try at a shocking headline. It's not a big deal. Dems must be scared already.
We're shaking in our boots! Please don't nominate Rand! [/Br'er Rabbit]

Upvote 0