south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What a mess academia is, and how politics have changed history. This TV show is very true to the actual historic events, and should really be played for children, so they get the real history. Very accurate. Not young children though, because there is some violence, bad playfighting, terrible choreography on that, looks like theatre. But this episode just ended with some rebel who wanted to assasinate the souths prez, trying save his liquer shop from fire, and it blew up. And another one got shot just before that.

Very informative. And it is just weird with the uniforms. Strikes me as a disadvantage to use black uniforms in war in the south in scorching sun. Should be a disadvantage. And the south using light grey, they would have to was the uniforms often, easily get dirty. And such classy and classic beauties the had acting in the movie. Lesley ann down is such a classic beauty, kirsty alley, and there was a cameo of that greyhairedd beauty from the dynasty.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Strikes me as a disadvantage to use black uniforms in war in the south in scorching sun.
More information-The south (Confederates) often used guerilla warfare tactics and they often moved around at night silently. Northern infantry would be more likely to march out in the open, especially later in the war. So the dark uniforms were more conducive to camouflage.

One interesting thing I learned when I saw it as a young person is that many of the officers on both sides went to West Point Army Academy which was/is located in the North. So the military on both sides was mostly educated at the same place. Officers ended up facing their own classmates on the battlefield.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mindfulzen
Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Gettysburg battlefield is supposedly haunted. Over the years tourists have witnessed apparitions.

Vicksburg, Mississippi is situated high on the banks of the Mississippi river. I was astonished at how difficult it would be to take as a military objective by a landing force from the river.

Reactions: mindfulzen
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"North and South" is basically a historical soap opera that includes some actual historical people and events. As it has been more than 30 years since I saw it, I can't speak to the historical accuracy.

BTW, the US forces wore a darker shade of blue. Lighter blue for trousers of the enlisted ranks.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What a mess academia is, and how politics have changed history. This TV show is very true to the actual historic events, and should really be played for children, so they get the real history. Very accurate. Not young children though, because there is some violence, bad playfighting, terrible choreography on that, looks like theatre. But this episode just ended with some rebel who wanted to assasinate the souths prez, trying save his liquer shop from fire, and it blew up. And another one got shot just before that.

Very informative. And it is just weird with the uniforms. Strikes me as a disadvantage to use black uniforms in war in the south in scorching sun. Should be a disadvantage. And the south using light grey, they would have to was the uniforms often, easily get dirty. And such classy and classic beauties the had acting in the movie. Lesley ann down is such a classic beauty, kirsty alley, and there was a cameo of that greyhairedd beauty from the dynasty.
If that series is ever replayed in the U.S. again they will probably have to rename it. The way the 'politically correct' have eradicated anything to do with the confederacy, my guess even the term ‘South’ will eventually go. Maybe North & ‘those we do not speak of’…

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
More information-The south (Confederates) often used guerilla warfare tactics and they often moved around at night silently. Northern infantry would be more likely to march out in the open, especially later in the war. So the dark uniforms were more conducive to camouflage.

One interesting thing I learned when I saw it as a young person is that many of the officers on both sides went to West Point Army Academy which was/is located in the North. So the military on both sides was mostly educated at the same place. Officers ended up facing their own classmates on the battlefield.
Interesting, nice funfact that makes sense. Agree, it is very interesting that the people involved at the leadership positions were educated at the same academy of exelence, and shared the same ethos and honour, and did have a very respectable war between friends. It was kind of an unwritten precursor to the geneva conventions 100 years before they were agreed upon, which I find interesting. Both in ethics/morals and politically. They limited atrocities.

Some academy west point at that time, and such honour among men dutybound, bound by their words and truth. I started watching it again because of reading about Robert E Lee which I admire greatly. It is amazing to me, that in this time in history, he got a letter from both sides, being asked to lead both armies agains the other side. While being a general at the north, and he respectfully declined the north, and wrote that he could not morally justify fighting against his own state, and resigned. And the north respected it, and let him go and lead the south in a predetermined war, even though he was a tactical genious. And he went on to lead a side he knew would lose, or was 99% sure of would lose. I respect that sentiment of the time. They had rules, that could not be broken.

Upvote 0

Incendiary Minds

Aug 8, 2021
SF Bay Area
✟18,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I read the first North and South Book that described first the origins of the families when they came to what then either British North America or a very early United States. The Southern family, the Mains, has a very shocking but probably all too familiar origin. A Huguenot ( French Calvinist) and his wife were settlers. Unfortunately, his wife was very sick and kept miscarrying and her illnesses made her unavailable for " marital duties " so to speak. One day, when this husband was wandering upon his land he sees a young, beautiful, Native American Woman bathing. Forgetting about Calvin, his Bible, his marriage vows, he kidnaps this young Woman raping her, determined one way or another to obtain an HEIR, until she bears a son for him. Their son raised by him as he takes the child away and discards the mother. I found this to be particularly horrific to read at the time. Also, this father NEVER reveals that the child is not completely White, at least by English standards. So this family, who prides itself on being White, is living a lie, a fraud. It tainted the rest of the story for me.

It is very rare that "White" Americans discuss in public those amongst them who have Native American blood. I even remember a White Southerner I used to work with who fell into an apolexic RAGE when I said that compared to Ann Margaret, that Elvis didn't look like a White Man and in fact, when he got bloated and sick,looked more Native American than White. It was rather amusing.

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The Gettysburg battlefield is supposedly haunted. Over the years tourists have witnessed apparitions.

Vicksburg, Mississippi is situated high on the banks of the Mississippi river. I was astonished at how difficult it would be to take as a military objective by a landing force from the river.
Yes, places where people die in anguish, in panic, not ready, they tend to linger. Many battlefields like this. People die in fear. Big problem. The humanbeings probably should start to fight wars with robots in the future, so human souls are not risked. Or presidents playing a boardgame of risk that is televised to decide the winner. But that would require americans to start electing smarter and younger leaders. I think Putin would win in a game of risk with Joe.

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
"North and South" is basically a historical soap opera that includes some actual historical people and events. As it has been more than 30 years since I saw it, I can't speak to the historical accuracy.

BTW, the US forces wore a darker shade of blue. Lighter blue for trousers of the enlisted ranks.
Yes, and it is accurate on the historic events, they just add a compelling storyline, about a bunch of strongwilled women of the time. I knew the historic events before watching it again because it is on TV. Wanted to see how it was again, I liked it as a kid. Wanted to know why. And it turned out that Lesley ann Down played in it, and Kirsty Alley. Had desires towards them as a kid. I even watched many episodes of sunset beach or whatever the terrible soap with lesley ann down in it, that ran in the 90s. IT WAS BRUTAL!

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If that series is ever replayed in the U.S. again they will probably have to rename it. The way the 'politically correct' have eradicated anything to do with the confederacy, my guess even the term ‘South’ will eventually go. Maybe North & ‘those we do not speak of’…
Correct, forgot about banning shows. Patric Swayze also did hit some woman who was very manipulative in this episode, who had lied to drive his love away. Was responsible for the fire that made her lover run in to save his booze and die, and stood next to her husband telling him about all her sins. So, I guess it is classified misogynistic. Kirstie alley also slept with a lying politician to gain political favour. It was a totally moral mess, hahaha

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Interesting, nice funfact that makes sense. Agree, it is very interesting that the people involved at the leadership positions were educated at the same academy of exelence, and shared the same ethos and honour, and did have a very respectable war between friends. It was kind of an unwritten precursor to the geneva conventions 100 years before they were agreed upon, which I find interesting. Both in ethics/morals and politically. They limited atrocities.

Some academy west point at that time, and such honour among men dutybound, bound by their words and truth. I started watching it again because of reading about Robert E Lee which I admire greatly. It is amazing to me, that in this time in history, he got a letter from both sides, being asked to lead both armies agains the other side. While being a general at the north, and he respectfully declined the north, and wrote that he could not morally justify fighting against his own state, and resigned. And the north respected it, and let him go and lead the south in a predetermined war, even though he was a tactical genious. And he went on to lead a side he knew would lose, or was 99% sure of would lose. I respect that sentiment of the time. They had rules, that could not be broken.
Yes, honor was paramount, especially in the south. They still had a form of the aristocracy who were the wealthiest plantation owners. They carried out the tradition of Nobility in action if not in title. They fought duels against each other (pistols or sabers). If you insulted someone bad enough they could challenge you to a duel for "satisfaction." That was the mentality then, "death before dishonor."

I believe at West Point, they mostly taught the Napoleonic strategy of warfare. So both sides were well educated in musket/bayonet warfare. Without the miracles that Robert E Lee produced, the war would have been over the first year I believe.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think that more people respect the sacrifice of the lives in the confederate army than you may think. They died for what they believed was freedom.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Correct, forgot about banning shows. Patric Swayze also did hit some woman who was very manipulative in this episode, who had lied to drive his love away. Was responsible for the fire that made her lover run in to save his booze and die, and stood next to her husband telling him about all her sins. So, I guess it is classified misogynistic. Kirstie alley also slept with a lying politician to gain political favour. It was a totally moral mess, hahaha
Yeah, but Kristie Alley was hot in those days! She could of used me for political favors anytime!

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think that more people respect the sacrifice of the lives in the confederate army than you may think.
I sure hope so... sadly not much evidence of it now though. Statues, any flag resemblance, academia recognition and building names all seem in jeopardy.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I sure hope so... sadly not much evidence of it now though. Statues, any flag resemblance, academia recognition and building names all seem in jeopardy.
It's something people don't want to think about but you can't erase history. They may have fought as rebels but they were still Americans. Using the flag to remember the dead is different than using it as a symbol of hate like the Klan and those groups.

I remember the first time I saw a monument to a confederate. He was a small town hero from this town I was in. It gave me chills and I remember thinking, "yep, I'm in the south." But I wasn't offended because in the south, it's the Confederates that lost their lives and families that know their history feel that very personally so it's like tearing that stuff down diminishes their sacrifice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, honor was paramount, especially in the south. They still had a form of the aristocracy who were the wealthiest plantation owners. They carried out the tradition of Nobility in action if not in title. They fought duels against each other (pistols or sabers). If you insulted someone bad enough they could challenge you to a duel for "satisfaction." That was the mentality then, "death before dishonor."

I believe at West Point, they mostly taught the Napoleonic strategy of warfare. So both sides were well educated in musket/bayonet warfare. Without the miracles that Robert E Lee produced, the war would have been over the first year I believe.
Yes, was some aristocracy, and not perfect democracy, since plantationowners essentially ran the state as a private COOP. It iwas what it was. I am more interested in the ethics of war before there were laws of war. It would not have lasted as long as it did without Robert E Lee, we agree. We also were introduced to general Sherman there. Interesting to view it from both sides, and both sides are presented as sensible and decent. We lost that along the way, now, one side in any matter is demonized, and the other idolized. TV was better in the 80s

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
TV was better in the 80s
[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Yes! Some of the classics are coming back on the various streaming sites. 70's TV was even better to me "Rockford Files" and "Columbo" are some of my all-time favorites

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What is this [bless do not curse] stuff? I understood it as if you could curse a a little bit outside the purely christian forum. This is the kitchentank or entertainment. I do not like rockford files, they air that too here, and columbo. And Bonanza has been running nonstop for like 20 years, never ends. I like that show. I want Falcon crest to start again. And law and order in LA. I especially likedd the detective show with Michael douglas from the 70s. Streets of san fransico or somthing. And watched quincy a few weeks ago. Much better than reality TV, and all the shows about nobody bloggers.

Upvote 0