Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Following the tragic shootout by Elliot Rodger last weekend in Santa Barbara, I have put my $20 in about how society has triviliased sex to make it a sport and something that we have trained our young boys it is something that they are entitled to rather than something that is unconditionally given by a special person to them.

Really sad that our world has come to that, and we need some changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErO0ta3Uq0g

Reactions: seashale76

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Following the tragic shootout by Elliot Rodger last weekend in Santa Barbara, I have put my $20 in about how society has triviliased sex to make it a sport and something that we have trained our young boys it is something that they are entitled to rather than something that is unconditionally given by a special person to them.

Don't you mean conditionally? Both men and women set the conditions in which they are willing to have sex with each other. Even if someone is inclined to offer a partner sex, there are going to be some conditions.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErO0ta3Uq0g

I like your video but I think you're a bit off on some points.

Nontheless, from your heart I see you are trying to help. Thankyou.

Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

I srsly doubt it was the lack of sex. He could have easily taken care of business or, worst case, paid for sex.

I think we're trivializing the emotional needs of young men, making them out to be sex crazed maniacs, and further fueling the problem.

I do agree. It's the media's take on things. He had other issues, other selfish ideologies and sick ideas. He was also trying to create a persona which he thought was cool. He idealised Norman Bates and tried and failed at recreating that character.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I srsly doubt it was the lack of sex. He could have easily taken care of business or, worst case, paid for sex.

I think we're trivializing the emotional needs of young men, making them out to be sex crazed maniacs, and further fueling the problem.

I think frustration can lead to further bitterness and then entitlement.

The problem with the commentary on male dating woes (at least among progressives) is any frustrated complaint is usually automatically written off as entitlement. It's not actually helping.

Maybe the guy is feeling entitled, but he's feeling a lot of other things as well - how is beating on him over it going to resolve that? It's "man up" dressed up with even more self-righteousness.

Upvote 0

Cernunnos

Well. . .
May 28, 2014
Faith
✟16,330.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think frustration can lead to further bitterness and then entitlement.

The problem with the commentary on male dating woes (at least among progressives) is any frustrated complaint is usually automatically written off as entitlement. It's not actually helping.

Maybe the guy is feeling entitled, but he's feeling a lot of other things as well - how is beating on him over it going to resolve that? It's "man up" dressed up with even more self-righteousness.

Insightful!

That said, the hole in our culture has been gaping for a while . .. festering, breeding individuals with these and other horrible eventual behaviors. Marketing and consumerism have been honed to a razor sharp edge, ready to cut away any satisfaction to provide a need that must be filled. Be it sex or money, cars or status there is always something slightly better for sale. Your home may be nice, but there is an entire medieval hamlet for sale in Italy, seriously: http://cdn-2.thejameslist.com/data/images/16605967_source.jpg 59 apartments, a church, shops, restaurant. . . for $31 mil USD a person could be their own little monarch. Just an example. Always something better, for sale & all those sales depend on people feeling what they have isn't good enough. Convincing people of dissatisfaction has become an incredible art, permeating every area of life . .. wonder how many divorces have been caused? Wonder how much crime. . .. consider that rap music/culture promotes a fantasy of rising to enormous wealth after starting out working drugs on the street. Man, even Drake who got his start in entertainment on a kiddy morality show (Degrassi) tries to put on the "came up tough on the streets" air. . . Obama for that matter . . . . tries to peddle his "community organizer" days as if he spent any time on the street with the people (he didn't, it was tea with this ombudsman and social with that large church pastor, a meeting with this old lady's club, etc) so, sold on this fantasy of coming up tough and rising to wealth. . . how many shootings? Elliot Rodger may have made the news by being an entitled white (culture) person, but the same crimes are going down for the same reasons, day after day after day in minority communities.

Is it entitlement when culture preaches that "success = X" and "good = success" therefore "X = Good"? What should our young people do? Try for fail? The problem is pervasive, it isn't just sex. . . it is what causes a woman to be told not to breastfeed in the mall because it offends people, while she is sitting in-front of a perfectly airbrushed 8 foot breast on the windows of the Victoria's Secret. The problem isn't just sex, it is the whole concept of need. . . the artificial dissatisfaction that is necessary if all those salespeople want to keep their jobs.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't you mean conditionally? Both men and women set the conditions in which they are willing to have sex with each other. Even if someone is inclined to offer a partner sex, there are going to be some conditions.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Casual sex has no conditions other than acceptability ("the girls all git prettier at closing time..."). ^_^

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The bible contradicts your thread title, friend.

1 Corinthians 7:3-5

3 The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I am. ;) :p

It should be remembered that he probably had something mentally wrong with him, so you can't fully blame culture. It's a mix of both.

If trivialisation of sex is anything to do with it, I'd say the important thing is having a moderate/ middle way understanding of it, rather than the extremes of objectification or sacred sex.

If people want to do it with a stranger, that's up to them, but it should be remembered that it's still a relational thing, and the choice of a person. People aren't sex robots.

The OP compares sex to sport, but even in sport you don't expect random people to play with you. Unless in a setting where playing with random people is expected, you'll probably be playing with someone you know.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bible contradicts your thread title, friend.

1 Corinthians 7:3-5

3 The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
You really shouldn't comment on what you don't understand. In any case you shouldn't be shallow and just look at the thread title. You should read the post and get the full context which is talking about a person who is not married. Different rules apply. That passage still does not say sex on demand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Thread should have ended after this.

Well perhaps a few +1s or +1000s afterward. In short just the agreement and applause.

Upvote 0

Cruelty happens in all societies, not just this one. "Trivializing" sex is not necessarily a negative thing. As one example of the consequences of NOT trivializing sex, see honor killings. They happen today in societies where women's virtue is protected, literally, to death. They used to happen in the past in Christian and pagan societies as well, for the same reason.

Having said that, this guy was ill, and anything but a cautionary tale about a society where sexual instincts have gone rogue.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟438,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
said the amoral sex robot ;)

Zing!

She had to know that was coming.

Let's be serious though, this kid ran around throwing drinks at couples he saw in public. The mere sight of a couple being affectionate enraged him and he felt he was being personally insulted. He had serious mental issues...that's what led to this.

If someone wants to talk about male sexual issues, fine, but this kid isn't a symptom of any of those. He's a product of a failed mental health problem.

Reactions: Gadarene
Upvote 0