✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is this a good idea?

In my view, no. There are lots of people who make comments they wouldn't make in person, on this forum included, but do they need to be identified?

Are we that soft that we can't just use the 'ignore' function if our virtual feelings get hurt?

Of course not.

So, what's the real aim of trying to push identity verification on social media?

Nikki claims it's for Russian/Chinese/Iranian bots but the US government has claimed national security crisis as a way to to suppress the rights of US citizens before e.g. Patriot Act.

Since we're all pretty anonymous here, I'm interested in this forums participant views.

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think Haley is simply searching for anything to differentiate herself from other candidates. It seems the collective American conscience has already made her backtrack on her comments. I do think there is room for improvements in Section 230 of the Communication Decency Act. Everyone seems to escape accountability with the law being so ambiguous. This is another reason we need representatives in DC who actually went there to work on issues faced by American citizens and not more amateur thespians.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a benefit t identity verification when it comes to official accounts of businesses, media, high profile figures, etc to avoid fake social media accounts that may be confused as official. For the average social media poster, ability to create anonymous posts should be left up to the specific social media site and how they want to moderate. Identity verification can still occur as a part of acquiring an account but personal information stays private. There are good reasons for social media to be able to verify legit accounts vs scam accounts, especially those intent on preying on minors. I am not sure how I feel about this being a requirement though, especially if a federal law.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is this a good idea?

I don't think so.

Are we that soft that we can't just use the 'ignore' function if our virtual feelings get hurt?

I hope not.

So, what's the real aim of trying to push identity verification on social media?

Very good question ...
:oldthumbsup:

Note: I'm really surprised Haley would bring up such a controversial idea.
I don't think it will help her to win more votes.
I actually think she may lose some over it.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,489.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
All I can think about this idea is Orwellian thought police. Really? I thought small government was a conservative desire. This would definitely increase the size and scope of government in the lives of citizens. That is my opinion.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See what I was talking about? Haley has already moved on to other issues to try to move the polls in her favor. We're on to pulling out of the UN Human Rights Council, Paris Climate Agreement and defunding the UN.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like it! The media has already manipulated the masses through their opinions and half-truths not to mention the Bots. What's going to be scary is the AI-generated content you won't be able to tell real from fake.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like it! The media has already manipulated the masses through their opinions and half-truths not to mention the Bots. What's going to be scary is the AI-generated content you won't be able to tell real from fake.
What about critical thinking skills? What does it matter what someone/AI you don't know says on social media about anything? Surely we can make decisions for ourselves or are we so hive minded we need the government to protect us from ourselves (despite saying it's to protect us from the RUSSIANS etc).

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this a good idea?
Yes
Doesn't have anything to do with hurt feelings.
To keep foreign actors from being able to open accounts to foster lies about the United States and citizens of the United States. Lies about candidates in elections to influence voters. Etc, etc..

US posters should still be anonymous to the public but foreigners lying about who or where they are should not be allowed to do the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my opinion, Nikki Haley is not a conservative. I believe that she represents the establishment elites of the republican party.
Anonymity is very important for internet users and I strongly object to this idea Haley floated out there.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about critical thinking skills? What does it matter what someone/AI you don't know says on social media about anything? Surely we can make decisions for ourselves or are we so hive minded we need the government to protect us from ourselves (despite saying it's to protect us from the RUSSIANS etc).
Just an example and not politics please:

You can only critically think with the information given. Bush and Iraq for example, I was for it back then, especially because they mentioned WMD but history showed us that it wasn't stockpiles of WMD, and look what that caused. I believed the WMD story because Saddam did use gas on the Kurds years earlier. Not to mention the Trillions of dollars of debt caused by the warmongering of my ex-party.

A lot of people buy into the media portrayal of the Ukraine war but if you look at history you'll see that NATO antagonized Russia by encroaching on its borders. I still remember the fear of the Cuban missile crisis and the extent to which America went to protect its borders. I don't condone Russia's attack but they're not the only villain in the scheme of things.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just an example and not politics please:

You can only critically think with the information given. Bush and Iraq for example, I was for it back then, especially because they mentioned WMD but history showed us that it wasn't stockpiles of WMD, and look what that caused. I believed the WMD story because Saddam did use gas on the Kurds years earlier. Not to mention the Trillions of dollars of debt caused by the warmongering of my ex-party.

A lot of people buy into the media portrayal of the Ukraine war but if you look at history you'll see that NATO antagonized Russia by encroaching on its borders. I still remember the fear of the Cuban missile crisis and the extent to which America went to protect its borders. I don't condone Russia's attack but they're not the only villain in the scheme of things.
Ok but all of this misinformation, in your opinion, was provided to you via the government i.e. Bush and the media.

IMO, media and the government are different wings of the same eagle.

But, that aside, you'd trust the same government that you think lied to you about WMD to tell you that they want your ID online for the reasons they give?

Interesting?

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
US posters should still be anonymous to the public but foreigners lying about who or where they are should not be allowed to do the same.
But Haley stated she didn't want US citizens to be anonymous. In fact, she said she wanted their individual names.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Is this a good idea?

In my view, no. There are lots of people who make comments they wouldn't make in person, on this forum included, but do they need to be identified?

Of course not.

Nikki claims it's for Russian/Chinese/Iranian bots but the US government has claimed national security crisis as a way to to suppress the rights of US citizens before e.g. Patriot Act.

Since we're all pretty anonymous here, I'm interested in this forums participant views.

I essentially agree with what you're saying. I think it's necessary for people to have social media accounts that are basically anonymous on the level of "public interface."

However, even on this platform [i.e. CF], I don't think anyone here is fully (or effectively) anonymous in the most meaningful sense of that term. And that's why I always temper my responses before posting. I don't say anything here that I wouldn't say in person to almost any other person. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I essentially agree with what you're saying. I think it's necessary for people to have social media accounts that are basically anonymous on the level of "public interface."

However, even on this platform [i.e. CF], I don't think anyone here is fully (or effectively) anonymous in the most meaningful sense of that term. And that's why I always temper my responses before posting. I don't say anything here that I wouldn't say in person to almost any other person. :cool:
Fair enough. However, we do have legal recourse if we are 'doxed' that we wouldn't have if we willingly sign these rights away due to 'national security'.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Я не боюсь русских. Maybe Nikki Haley ought to concern herself with actual security threats, like the persistent infestation of insurrectionists on the outskirts of her own party, who would probably be very upset if she won the GOP nomination instead of Trump (even though that's obviously not going to happen).

Though just for the record, I absolutely would say anything I say here in real life. Take that as you will.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fair enough. However, we do have legal recourse if we are 'doxed' that we wouldn't have if we willingly sign these rights away due to 'national security'.
True enough.

I do like the little quote in the article you posted from:

Ramaswamy, like DeSantis, brought up the Federalist Papers and said on X, "Alexander Hamilton, John Jay & James Madison wrote the Federalist Papers under pseudonym. Here's what they would say to @NikkiHaley if they were alive: get your heels off my neck & go back to England."​
:ahah: This reminds of the fact that Kierkegaard, and numbers of other various dissenters in the past, published under pseudonyms.

If I were to publish, maybe it'd be best to have it all done like Copernicus did...posthumously.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But, that aside, you'd trust the same government that you think lied to you about WMD to tell you that they want your ID online for the reasons they give?
If you have a Facebook account your ID is already online if you are friended by old friends and family members, right?
But there are bad actors in foreign countries who open fake ID accounts. This needs to stop.

Do you ever shop online or pay any bills online? If you do your ID is being/has been verified. It's been verified by your CC company, PayPal, your bank, etc. any payment method you use.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you have a Facebook account your ID is already online if you are friended by old friends and family members, right?
But there are bad actors in foreign countries who open fake ID accounts. This needs to stop.

Do you ever shop online or pay any bills online? If you do your ID is being/has been verified. It's been verified by your CC company, PayPal, your bank, etc. any payment method you use.
I don't have Facebook or any social media.

The control and censorship of these are not coming from foreign accounts but by the USA which they admitted. One example below:-

Purchases transacted through a bank is not the same as making comments online and being obliged by the government to be allowed to voice an opinion or fact so long as you prove your identity to them for the reasons they state.

Upvote 0