Nike recalls trainers. So is the Betsy Ross flag racist?

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,273.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,273.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If Kaepernick complains, Nike listens. It's a silly argument that apparently, whiners are going to always win.
Or those Nike have a financial interest in appeasing. In this case the face of their most recent advertising campaign.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Or those Nike have a financial interest in appeasing. In this case the face of their most recent advertising campaign.
Considering their shares are up 15% on the year and the company has become very profitable since starting the campaign with Kaep, it's understandable that they'll listen to him, whether right or wrong about the flag. The reactionary conservative response is interesting though, especially a member of the legislature looking to use government authority to punish and influence the company.

• Agree
Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Nike pulls sneaker after Kaepernick objection, prompting Republican fury

So because White supremacists have used one of the earliest US flags, does that make it racist?

Got to say on that basis both the union Jack and the England flag would have to be abandoned.

I wasn't even aware that the Betsy Ross flag was being appropriated by racists.

Maybe I'm just really out of the loop, but I'm uncomfortable with granting extremists all power when it comes to symbols. There are certain symbols which are intrinsically connected to awful ideas. It's basically impossible, at this point in history, to divorce the swastika away from its Nazi identification, even though the symbol has a much longer, older, and diverse history as something completely different--and is still used in parts of the world for its older meaning--but in the West it's basically not possibly to do this.

But is this really the case of the Betsy Ross? That this flag has entered into public consciousness as a symbol for hate and white supremacy? I don't see how that could be the case. Unless I'm just that out of the loop and ignorant.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why is the Betsy Ross flag on it in the first place? I am under the impression that these are somehow 4th of July themed sneakers. In that case I would see it as only being patriotic.

Don't let extremists ruin symbols for everyone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean, when taking this to its logical extreme, we may as well just label our current flag as a symbol of hate because racism exists in America.

The confederate flag is racist because the confederacy based its existence upon the continuation of slavery. Just because racism existed in the early US does not make the Betsy Ross flag racist, in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I mean, when taking this to its logical extreme, we may as well just label our current flag as a symbol of hate because racism exists in America.

The confederate flag is racist because the confederacy based its existence upon the continuation of slavery. Just because racism existed in the early US does not make the Betsy Ross flag racist, in my opinion.
I don't think the early American flag being used by racists should mean it can't be used as a symbol; however, the Confederate Flag is a racist symbol as its foundation and usage from the 19th through 21st century has been racist. Nonetheless, I don't think that quite gibes with saying the early racism of the United States makes the Betsy Ross flag equitable to the Confederate flag. If we take it from the perspective of Native Americans or Hawaiians, the flag represents something much darker.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,273.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Indeed, I wonder how many white supremicist groups march under the current us flag, possibly more than the Betsy Ross one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I am quite certain, nike did their homework before they released this shoe and thought it was a good idea. Now, they have reversed course.

Companies like nike, put a lot of thought and market research, into their products.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
From the perspective of native Americans I have been to a lot of pow wows and have several NA friends and the US flag is always displayed prominently and highly regarded. They seem to be very patriotic people as a whole.
I have seen that, but I have also seen Native Americans that emphasize the US was created by land theft and exploitation of Native Americans, a member of this forum holds that very view. So I don't think the view you describe is widespread overall (nor do I think the opposite view is either).

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't even aware that the Betsy Ross flag was being appropriated by racists.
It probably isn't.
But some nationalist, who Kapernik, Nike or some other PC whiner would call racist, probably has one at home or something...

If some racial supremacist waves his country's old flag it doesn't make that flag nor that country nor it's history racist.
Probably to complicated for that over payed guy who hates his country.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It probably isn't.
But some nationalist, who Kapernik, Nike or some other PC whiner would call racist, probably has one at home or something...

If some racial supremacist waves his country's old flag it doesn't make that flag nor that country nor it's history racist.
Probably to complicated for that over payed guy who hates his country.
The history of the United States is racist, that is simply a fact. That the country has evolved from that past does not make the origins of the country any less racist. The evolution is admirable, but the past is still racist.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some have and need a low bar. Keeps that chip on the shoulder ready for action.

It's a fundamental mistake about what white supremacy is...

If we just label everything prior to the civil war as "white supremacist" then white supremacy has less to do with beliefs than it does a time period. That's a mistake.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From the perspective of native Americans I have been to a lot of pow wows and have several NA friends and the US flag is always displayed prominently and highly regarded. They seem to be very patriotic people as a whole.

You obviously haven't met any NDNs from the American Indian Movement as I have or attended a public NDN demonstration where the American flag is either hung upside down or burnt to the ground in ashes. Admittedly, there are a few assimilated NDNs who honor the American flag, but these NDNs aren't in the majority. Below is the more common view of the American flag among NDN activists.

tumblr_oso7wobVN51txtyzlo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's a fundamental mistake about what white supremacy is...

If we just label everything prior to the civil war as "white supremacist" then white supremacy has less to do with beliefs than it does a time period. That's a mistake.

When it is based out of a need to label this or that racist, this what you get. When in doubt, claim racism and ask questions later.

Upvote 0