✟7,656.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi! I am new to this site.

My husband is very interested in the Orthodox church but being raised Episcopalian and having attended primarily non-denom and Baptist churches since HS, I know little about it.

I would like to know more about what you believe and how it is different than other Orthodox churches and other denominations.

How do you worship? What is there for children? What exactly makes you different from others?

Thanks in advance for your time and answers...

Just curious... :confused:

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DIR,
Hello, and welcome to TAW! :wave:
It is difficult to explain in the course of a single post, or even in a series of posts, the difference between Orthodoxy and other Christian organizations ( a lousy choice of words here on my part!).
The article above is a good one from a very reputable source. There are also some wonderful books that may be available at your public library, but are most assuredly available via Borders or Amazon. The Orthodox Church is a wonderful look at the Church's history and its companion,so to speak, The Orthodox Way presents the practical side of our faith.
The best advice that can be given however is to "taste and see", that is to experience the Divine services for oneself. The timing of your inquiry in that regard could not be better as we have begun the season of Great Lent, where services are plentiful.
If you let us know what are of the country you are in, we can make parish recommendations to you.
Again, welcome to CF and TAW. Feel free to ask all the questions you need to. we are always happy to answer those we can, and direct you to resources to those we cannot.
In Xp,
Eusebios
:bow:

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The best way to learn about the Orthodox Church is to call up a parish (preferably an English speaking parish) and ask one of the Priests to walk you through a Divine Liturgy before you go to one.

If you have been to a high Anglican Mass or Eucharist service, you will find the Divine Liturgy to have a lot of commonalities.

Since I came from a Catholic background, I noticed that the Divine Liturgy had two common movements:

The Liturgy of the Catechumens
where we Orthodox Christians sing hymns (troparions and kontakions), psalms, and read an Epistle and Gospel
These services derive from the Jewish Synagogue service.​
The Liturgy of the Eucharist
where we sing or recite the Nicene Creed, then celebrate the Eucharist
This Eucharist service is also called The Breaking of the Bread and is the Lord's Supper.​
If you understand these two basic parts of the Divine Liturgy, then it begins to make sense.

If you read the four part series on The Orthodox Faith by Father Thomas Hopko (commonly called the rainbow books), he explains the Orthodox services in a beautiful and devout way.

What appealed to me is the soberness and seriousness in which the Holy Services are conducted. There are no unnecessary jokes or off colored language used by our Priests who view the Divine Liturgy as part of the ongoing Heavenly Worship. We believe that we are taken up into heaven with the angels and saints (the cloud of witnesses).

Our Divine Liturgy is 99 percent scriptural too. There is none of that off the cuff man-made jargon or spontanity found in the non-Orthodox services.

Again, the best way to experience Holy Orthodoxy is through her Holy Services.

Taste and see how good the Lord is = the words of our preSanctified Liturgy lenten communion hymn.

Upvote 0

Iacobus

Feb 29, 2004
Visit site
✟845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi! I am new to this site.

My husband is very interested in the Orthodox church but being raised Episcopalian and having attended primarily non-denom and Baptist churches since HS, I know little about it.

I would like to know more about what you believe and how it is different than other Orthodox churches and other denominations.

How do you worship? What is there for children? What exactly makes you different from others?

Thanks in advance for your time and answers...

Just curious... :confused:
Hi DIR

I read your post, and immediately thought of an essay by Frederica Mathewes-Green. I don't think it will answer all your questions, but I suspect it might speak to you:

http://www.frederica.com/writings/from-episcopalian-to-orthodox.html

Keep asking questions, and welcome to TAW!

Fr. Dcn. James

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.