Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Firstly I would like to ask about dietary restrictions. Besides fasting is there any dietary restriction such as pork or shellfish? The reason why I ask is because I seen passages from both Old and New Testament condemning both. I understand that some Oriental Orthodox Church restrict diet but I'm pretty sure outside of that group there are none. The reason I'm mostly curious is because I see some say that it's only for the Jews but The people in the Old Testament may have been ethnically Jewish but their religion was Christianity. Judaism came out of Christianity as a rejection of our Lord Christ who is the second person of the Holy Trinity and has been there since he helped create the universe. To say otherwise seems to be a way of accepting the heresy of adoptionism then again I'm a very stupid man. Also I kind of wonder about watering down wine which is the blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who was made His Humanity one with His Divinity without mixture nor mingling, nor confusion ( see Colossians 2:9) Again sorry for all the dumb questions I'm not very smart man.

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
D
Firstly I would like to ask about dietary restrictions. Besides fasting is there any dietary restriction such as pork or shellfish? The reason why I ask is because I seen passages from both Old and New Testament condemning both. I understand that some Oriental Orthodox Church restrict diet but I'm pretty sure outside of that group there are none. The reason I'm mostly curious is because I see some say that it's only for the Jews but The people in the Old Testament may have been ethnically Jewish but their religion was Christianity. Judaism came out of Christianity as a rejection of our Lord Christ who is the second person of the Holy Trinity and has been there since he helped create the universe. To say otherwise seems to be a way of accepting the heresy of adoptionism then again I'm a very stupid man. Also I kind of wonder about watering down wine which is the blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who was made His Humanity one with His Divinity without mixture nor mingling, nor confusion ( see Colossians 2:9)? Sorry for all the dumb questions. Again I'm not a very smart man
I'm not really good with phrasing things but I was kind of curious what would be a Orthodox rebuttal to these questions. Sorry
you should ask these on their subforum.

may I ask why you are asking us?

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think Romans 14 has your answer as to why most Christian traditions do not go with the Torah laws for eating. But I am neither EO or Oriental Orthodox so take my stance with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟753,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There is a more frequent Oriental Orthodox presence in Orthodox Christian forums.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a more frequent Oriental Orthodox presence in Orthodox Christian forums.

Well, I posted it here to see why the Eastern Orthodox Church disagrees with the Oriental Orthodox Church. I was hoping for an argument with refences to the Holy Scripture and Church fathers on why the Eastern Orthodox Church position is correct as oppose to the Oriental Orthodox Church

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I posted it here to see why the Eastern Orthodox Church disagrees with the Oriental Orthodox Church. I was hoping for an argument with refences to the Holy Scripture and Church fathers on why the Eastern Orthodox Church position is correct as oppose to the Oriental Orthodox Church
well, basically we say that Chalcedon was not heretical. that applying qualities distinctly to each nature does in no way divide Christ into two. if you really press them on asking where the heresy is in Chalcedon, they really can’t find it unless they are willing to condemn many Fathers (to include St Cyril, who they claim to champion).

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Cody J Dunbar

Cody-Gregory
Oct 19, 2022
Harrisburg, PA
✟13,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The issues between the EO and OO churches are tricky because you won't see them at the lower level. In fact, this was one of the things that tripped me up when converting because I had been to a OO church, and it seemed the same even after talking with my priest about the differences between them. I talked to some OO folks who outright claimed they didn't believe what I was told they did. (Miaphysitism)

It seems to me from talking with people that the problems with OO are with their bishops and that they would have to backtrack on roughly 1600 years of their church history to figure out what was what.

Our local OO church burnt down a few years back, and most of the EO churches in the area help them out a lot. It is just one of those things. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The issues between the EO and OO churches are tricky because you won't see them at the lower level. In fact, this was one of the things that tripped me up when converting because I had been to a OO church, and it seemed the same even after talking with my priest about the differences between them. I talked to some OO folks who outright claimed they didn't believe what I was told they did. (Miaphysitism)

It seems to me from talking with people that the problems with OO are with their bishops and that they would have to backtrack on roughly 1600 years of their church history to figure out what was what.

Our local OO church burnt down a few years back, and most of the EO churches in the area help them out a lot. It is just one of those things. :sigh:
it’s also hard because we did a lot to graft their articulation into our own expression of the Faith.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you have an example?
the henotikon of Zeno, 5th Ecumenical Council, the henotikon of Justin II, certain excerpts from St John Damascene’s Exact Exposition, the catechism of St Justinian, the insertion of “Only Begotten Son” and the Creed into the Liturgy, St Nektarios’ adaptation of the Liturgy of St Cyril and his hymn “Oh, Pure Virgin,” to name a few. the joint statements of 1990 were basically what we have been saying since Chalcedon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums