redwngsfan019

May 30, 2010
Fredericksburg Virginia
✟8,056.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Has anyone else taken this course? This is the first college class I'm taking and the very first class the teacher wants us to read Matthew, Mark and Luke plus 3 chapters from our NT survey book before class on Thursday night. I'm really slow at reading the bible and I'm at Matthew chapter 13 and I already forgot a good amount of what I already read.

My question is, what are some tips or pointers you guys can give me to reading this much in a short amount of time, feels like I'm being soooo overwhelmed with all this reading. From a normal book I could probably do it, but the bible is much harder for me to read like this.

Wolvrin704

Doing better than I deserve!
Aug 10, 2010
Cincinnati
✟7,750.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If its hard for you to read maybe you need to find a translation that either makes more sense to you or easier for you to read. What translation are you currently using? That has helped me in the past and honestly I have several translations because sometimes the way one says a scripture it might make sense to me that another translation will not.

BTW, Go Wings! Stevie Y is the man!

Upvote 0

Nomarga

Nov 19, 2010
Iowa
✟16,316.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone else taken this course? This is the first college class I'm taking and the very first class the teacher wants us to read Matthew, Mark and Luke plus 3 chapters from our NT survey book before class on Thursday night. I'm really slow at reading the bible and I'm at Matthew chapter 13 and I already forgot a good amount of what I already read.

My question is, what are some tips or pointers you guys can give me to reading this much in a short amount of time, feels like I'm being soooo overwhelmed with all this reading. From a normal book I could probably do it, but the bible is much harder for me to read like this.

Sometimes there's just no real way to get all that reading done.

When I took NT Survey, you could get by without reading the whole NT... you just needed to know the major themes and time lines of the books. I got an A in NT Survey with this method.

Beware... to counteract this, my professors went with the "let's convict their conscience" route and put a line at the top of the homework over the chapters that said "I have read the material and not cheated" or something to that effect and you had to sign it or you'd get a zero. Hopefully your professors won't be so underhanded. :D

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2009
Canada
✟16,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
1. Get a decent overview/concordance of the New Testament.

2. Read Mark first. At least then you have an overview. For the others if you read the sermon on the mount/origins of Jesus from either Matthew or Luke you should be okay with that. Make sure you read Matthew 24/25 so you cover the prophecies of Christ for the future, and then read the last four chapters of either Luke or Matthew to cover Jesus' death and resurrection.

Just a note for everyone--when doing NT survey and doing the Gospels part of it ALWAYS read Mark first. It's the shortest Gospel.

Upvote 0

redwngsfan019

May 30, 2010
Fredericksburg Virginia
✟8,056.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If its hard for you to read maybe you need to find a translation that either makes more sense to you or easier for you to read. What translation are you currently using? That has helped me in the past and honestly I have several translations because sometimes the way one says a scripture it might make sense to me that another translation will not.

BTW, Go Wings! Stevie Y is the man!

KJV, I have a NIV one I was thinking about doing the reading with because I can read it a lot faster but the teachers want us to use KJV

Sometimes there's just no real way to get all that reading done.

When I took NT Survey, you could get by without reading the whole NT... you just needed to know the major themes and time lines of the books. I got an A in NT Survey with this method.

Beware... to counteract this, my professors went with the "let's convict their conscience" route and put a line at the top of the homework over the chapters that said "I have read the material and not cheated" or something to that effect and you had to sign it or you'd get a zero. Hopefully your professors won't be so underhanded. :D

Lol, yea mine did that. He said he will ask us if we read everything we were suppose to and he wants us to be honest about it and all that.

1. Get a decent overview/concordance of the New Testament.

2. Read Mark first. At least then you have an overview. For the others if you read the sermon on the mount/origins of Jesus from either Matthew or Luke you should be okay with that. Make sure you read Matthew 24/25 so you cover the prophecies of Christ for the future, and then read the last four chapters of either Luke or Matthew to cover Jesus' death and resurrection.

Just a note for everyone--when doing NT survey and doing the Gospels part of it ALWAYS read Mark first. It's the shortest Gospel.

I just got done with matthew, gonna read mark tonight and luke tomorrow. Thats the 3 we had to read this week.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It usually takes me a long time to read the bible too. I'm taking NT and OT survey this semester. My OT teacher wants us to read a lot, and the volume of reading can be overwhelming so I listen to an audio bible sometimes, it helps to read along as you listen.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2009
Canada
✟16,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It usually takes me a long time to read the bible too. I'm taking NT and OT survey this semester. My OT teacher wants us to read a lot, and the volume of reading can be overwhelming so I listen to an audio bible sometimes, it helps to read along as you listen.

That's a nice signature you've got. I like the exchange in the book better, but that's me. Ahem! Anyway, back to Bible College!

It can also immensely help to get a study guide of some kind as I said. This can point out the most pertinent passages for you. (Sermon on the Mount, major miracles, important parables, etc) especially since of course several experiences of the discples with Jesus are repeated in different Gospels while others are not.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think one needs to remember your reading for class not meditation or to let the Holy Spirit speak to you. So just read it to cover the ground. If you have read the Bible much you already know most of it. So this reading is for a refresher.

Upvote 0