United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(if I understand you correctly)
Yes, even though St. Francis is reported to having preached to birds and flowers it was in the sense of urging praise to God. I hope we can be better stewards of all that has been entrusted to us. "superior to, not equivalent to, the rest of creation" yes, but unfortunately humanity has taken that as freedom for exploitation, defilement and destruction. Interesting that this comes up on a thread on contemplation, No? In my better moments I feel that connection with nature, with all existence. That is connection, not identity. Going back to the heterodox mystics in the middle ages that was a trend, to lose one's self. Not quite the same thing as dying to one's self Jesus stalked about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just wanted to thank you for including that beautiful prayer of St. Ignatius of Loyola. And re: "memory, understanding and will" - years and years adding to age, give us in God's design, in our fallen state, fading memory, weakness of understanding and declining ability to do what we will -- all helping us toward a purity of heart in sincerely professing "Give me your love and your grace; for with this I have all that I need."
And thanks be to God.
Age, like many things, is a gift we may or may not appreciate. Just like loss and suffering. I meet with a small "Mindfulness" group. They like to talk about Buddhist teachings. I tried to gently bring up the point that Buddhism and mindfulness may be good mental hygiene, good for mental health, but it does not provide a meaningful and purposeful context. Yes, it teaches that suffering and death are inevitable and we can make peace with it. But there is no infinite love, no PERSON that gives it meaning and purpose, in fact redeems suffering. This is why these pictures of St Francis are speaking to me. They visually portray loving surrender to God's will even when uncomfortable, inconvenient and painful.
xqKSGpla2e__FSnTRAEexBSrcYgOhVb8_JLqShtdvFbSlIPsNfDC5yHvCnZICkyj00Le9ZEhrx2VUnl9PO9EW3DYqkE11Z8ES8TydfVxlsx8KfdnhVMPzNenaHrRqXiStRdpEUhjT8ftOkAgmwmGf-g

"Perfect Joy" Eugène Burnand (1850-1921)

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is why these pictures of St Francis are speaking to me. They visually portray loving surrender to God's will even when uncomfortable, inconvenient and painful.
xqKSGpla2e__FSnTRAEexBSrcYgOhVb8_JLqShtdvFbSlIPsNfDC5yHvCnZICkyj00Le9ZEhrx2VUnl9PO9EW3DYqkE11Z8ES8TydfVxlsx8KfdnhVMPzNenaHrRqXiStRdpEUhjT8ftOkAgmwmGf-g

"Perfect Joy" Eugène Burnand (1850-1921)

I can see how those pictures would speak to you. They are absolutely captivating!

This one I share is special to me. When I fix my gaze upon it, it is almost as if it comes to 'life'!
It came into my life at a time when I thought surely I was sinking. And it speaks over and over again to me ...

cfpost.jpg

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the book recommendation ... I will check it out!

I am presently working thru an online group study of Fr. Thomas Dubay's book, "Fire Within".
He is so much easier to read on contemplation than Fr. Donald Haggerty, where I started.
Fr. Dubay writes with much clarity, on a deep subject. (Works good for me!)

I don't expect I will anytime soon be reading books by St. Teresa or St. John of the Cross.
(I don't think I have the time left in life to sit and try to figure what they are saying! lol)
For my purposes, I think I will learn enough in the Fr. Dubay book, and thru other more modern resources.
Again, the recommendation is appreciated.
Fr Dubay's The Fire Within, is good too, but it's more of an explanation of St Teresa's works.

Also follow the will of God and let him feed you, by bringing books into your life.

Eventually, you'll grow spiritually and as St John of the Cross' asked in the "Spiritual Canticle",
"don't send me more messengers." In other words, union with Christ is all that will
feed you.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can see how those pictures would speak to you. They are absolutely captivating!

This one I share is special to me. When I fix my gaze upon it, it is almost as if it comes to 'life'!
It came into my life at a time when I thought surely I was sinking. And it speaks over and over again to me ...

View attachment 337458
Amen to that!

BTW, I thought Living Flame of Love by St John of the Cross was the most readable. Though maybe because it was a contemporary translation.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Recently, I rewatched the movie, "Thérèse: The Story of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux" on Tubi. I also
read the book, "Story of a Soul," but that didn't touch me either. The movie and the play are by
Leonardo Defilippis. I saw the play and the movie, and the play was excellent and the staring
actress, became a Discalced Carmelite nun.

Anyway, the first time I watched the movie, I was a little disappointed in that I thought the actress
who stared as Theresa, I thought was a little old to be playing the part. But then I was comparing
the play to the movie that had me disappointed more than the actual movie.

This 2nd time, it hit me and I loved the movie!

Mostly, I got St Theresa's message on following her "Little Way." I was making my spiritual journey too
complicated. St Theresa's "little way," is essentially offering each of life's little difficulties to Christ.
Stop trying to get through life without suffering, for Christ suffered beyond anything we'll experience.

So, this time, the movie fed me, as Christ brought me to the place He wants me currently.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Amen to that!

BTW, I though Living Flame of Love by St John of the Cross was the most readable. Though maybe because it was a contemporary translation.
That's my favorite work by St John of the Cross!

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Detachment ...

Years ago, I went about 'detachment' all wrong. In my over zealousness, I thought detachment meant to get rid of everything, especially those things that you love, and become a sort of travelling evangelist for God. Possessing very little, not knowing where you were headed, trusting Him.

Well, I did it and flopped! I can laugh about it now, and do sometimes like today, but it was a very hard lesson to learn.

While God does ask some to actually give up all their worldly possessions, and follow Him, seems to me that most of us will encounter plenty of opportunites to 'detach' from things within the course of our daily lives, without needing to go thru our lives slashing things away. When God works detachment, He does it more gently, and with Love.

I mention detachment because we live in a time when it seems we are losing many things. Or maybe it is just that with age we begin to lose more, realize how much we have lost, and how much more is left to be lost. It is a natural occurrence with age. But now it seems it is becoming more commonplace ... to lose things important to us ... in the world in which we are living.

I thought contemplative prayer was a complicated thing. Again, I couldn't have been more wrong.
Facing the losses of life ... the things from which we must detach ... where else do we have to go but to the Lord?

The connection between detachment and a life of contemplative prayer ...
I'm seeing it as being far less complicated now.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
An example of detachment was given by St Teresa of Avila.
A nun had a holy picture that she really loved. One day
a novice nun saw the older nun looking at the picture and said
"what a lovely picture!" The older nun looked at the novice and
handed the picture to her, saying "have it, it's now yours." This is
the detachment that St Teresa wrote about.

I suppose in today's language it would be called having an ego-identity
attachment to an object, ideology or thing that is not your true self. Self
knowledge is part of God's will for our spiritual growth. Knowing the
person God had in mind when he created you brings us closer to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums