✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi

Can I have some advice please. I have not been christened as a child nor have I been Baptised in the Church. Is this something I have to do or am I already Baptised through my confessions and repentance of Sin?

Its a confusing subject having read through variable sources, but would like to formalise my union with Jesus.

I have made the decision to be formally Baptised at my local church so I have started on that journey, but I’m interested in thoughts.

The last words of Jesus in Matthew 28:19 resonate

Thanks
David

Last edited:

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi

Can I have some advice please. I have not been christened as a child nor have I been Baptised in the Church. Is this something I have to do or am I already Baptised through my confessions and repentance of Sin?

Its a confusing subject having read through variable sources, but would like to formalise my union with Jesus.

I have made the decision to be formally Baptised at my local church so I have started on that journey, but I’m interested in thoughts.

Thanks
David

I think its important to be baptized

“He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned” (Mark 16:16).

This is what we must do to prepare for baptism

Learn God's requirements. “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them ... teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you” (Matthew 28:19, 20).

Believe the truth of God's Word. “He who believes and is baptized will be saved” (Mark 16:16).

Repent and turn away from your sins and experience conversion. “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins” (Acts 2:38).
“Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19).

The things required above a child cannot do, so baptism must be an individual and conscious decision. Being baptized is like a marriage ceremony- it is your outward acceptance that you want to put away your life of sin and be married to Christ. It doesn't mean you can't slip and fall and baptism doesn't save us only the blood of Christ saves us through our faith, but its a very important step in a Christians life.

I was recently re-baptized after I went away from the faith for a long time. I wish you nothing but the best through peace and happiness and keep seeking God's will.

• Friendly
Reactions: Beslowtoanger
Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This step is all part of my dedication to my new life with Jesus. Not only is it described in the Gospel but feels to me (personally)like a symbolic movement from sin to Christ….my sincerity to him, to change, to serve.

The subject is not that clear , but I do not want to leave any stone unturned.

God Bless you for your help

David

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This step is all part of my dedication to my new life with Jesus. Not only is it described in the Gospel but feels to me (personally)like a symbolic movement from sin to Christ….my sincerity to him, to change, to serve.

The subject is not that clear , but I do not want to leave any stone unturned.

God Bless you for your help

David
“We were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin” (Romans 6:4–6).

Yes, we were created to serve God, He gives us everything and wants nothing but to bless us. Sin is the disease that separated us from God Isaiah 59:2 which is why its important to obey God and being married to Christ (baptism) is an important step and one day His saints will reconcile with Him and live eternity with Him Rev 14:12 Rev 22:14

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Suddenly I now know what I’ve been missing. There was something in the back of my mind that did not feel right, felt distant and now the pieces of the jigsaw are falling nicely in to place. I’ve been in contact with our Church leader/layman and they are contacting our priest.

I asked Jesus to help me understand why I still have gaps after my repentance, and so here we are!! I think this will give me the peace of finalising that process of 1.forgive me 2.Ive changed my life away from sin 3. I’m Baptised and I’m with Jesus.

Thank you for your God given encouragement

David

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Suddenly I now know what I’ve been missing. There was something in the back of my mind that did not feel right, felt distant and now the pieces of the jigsaw are falling nicely in to place. I’ve been in contact with our Church leader/layman and they are contacting our priest.

I asked Jesus to help me understand why I still have gaps after my repentance, and so here we are!! I think this will give me the peace of finalising that process of 1.forgive me 2.Ive changed my life away from sin 3. I’m Baptised and I’m with Jesus.

Thank you for your God given encouragement

David
Yes, that's correct. Sin is what separates us from God, He wants us reconciled. Baptism is like a marriage ceremony, telling the world you want to be dead from sin and married to Christ.

Understanding what sin is, is also important. Sin is the transgression of the law 1 John 3:4 Romans 3:20 and Paul quotes directly from the Ten Commandments to define sin Romans 7:7 which are found in Exodus 20, personally written and spoken by our heavenly Savior. Exo 34:28, Exo 31:18 Exo 32:16 Deut 4:13. God's law is like a mirror Romans 3:20 Romans 7:7, so we can see our sins and our need for Jesus, though Him we can overcome sin and He gives us His Spirit to help us overcome if we cooperate John 14:15-18 Keeping God's commandments gives us peace Isa 48:18 and eventually reconciles us Rev 22:14.

Keep praying and seeking God's will, He will show you His Truth if you have a willing and open heart. God bless!

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi

Thanks
David
As an outward declaration of your faith and as an act of obedience, water baptism is important.
I died when I was four months old. (You are not supposed to remember anything at that age, but I have a distinct memory of floating up through my bedroom ceiling into a light place and hearing angels singing.) They called in an Episcopalian priest who baptized me. I was revived and am now going on 70. But when I was a teen, I wanted to be baptized as an act of faith, and so I was baptized in the Assemblies of God.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi

Thanks
David

Baptism is not a requirement to be saved - but it is a command of God to do so, it's considered a sacrament I believe.

Basically, a person is saved and then they are baptized. If that person dies before they can be baptized, they are still saved and will be with the Lord. If a person is ill/disabled and cannot be baptized at all, they will still be saved.

However, it's super important to be baptized, as that's your public confession of faith, as well as a sign of your one-ness with Christ, having symbolically entered into the resurrection (death and new life), as well as a measure of your obedience to Gods will for us.

I would actually question whether you were saved if you didn't decide to get baptized. It's that big of a deal even though in and of itself itself it's not salvific. Only belief and confession is salvific.

Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Baptism is not a requirement to be saved - but it is a command of God to do so, it's considered a sacrament I believe.

Basically, a person is saved and then they are baptized. If that person dies before they can be baptized, they are still saved and will be with the Lord. If a person is ill/disabled and cannot be baptized at all, they will still be saved.

However, it's super important to be baptized, as that's your public confession of faith, as well as a sign of your one-ness with Christ, having symbolically entered into the resurrection (death and new life), as well as a measure of your obedience to Gods will for us.

I would actually question whether you were saved if you didn't decide to get baptized. It's that big of a deal even though in and of itself itself it's not salvific. Only belief and confession is salvific.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I have my first meeting to go through the process of adult baptism with our lay preacher on Tuesday. I’m all rather excited as I get pulled even closer to Jesus. I just know, this is what the Holy Spirit is calling me to do, it’s the outward declaration to Jesus and the world that I am locked in faith and now walk the path of obedience and righteousness.

God Bless you

David

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I have my first meeting to go through the process of adult baptism with our lay preacher on Tuesday. I’m all rather excited as I get pulled even closer to Jesus. I just know, this is what the Holy Spirit is calling me to do, it’s the outward declaration to Jesus and the world that I am locked in faith and now walk the path of obedience and righteousness.

God Bless you

David

God bless you too! I pray for God's blessings for you.

These days they take video of your baptism and you always have it. I got a copy from my baptism.

Im really excited for you! :)

• Love
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi

Thanks
David

Without getting into the nitty-gritty of baptismal theology--which there is a large amount of disagreement on--the simple answer is that yes you should be baptized.

So it is good that you are on the road to receive baptism.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My appointment with Jesus is confirmed 10th December.

I can’t wait to make my Union with him official, in front of my family and the congregation. I’m hoping a spiritual connection will take place for those in my family that do not practice the discipline of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums