Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I am a ridiculous person. I have eliminated any form of commentaries and have learned amazing truths. When I post my research it is despised by many who have been taught all their lives ideas that are not supported by scripture. Mostly lessons from their mommies and daddies I imagine. I dunno.
If I were to come up with an "amazing truth" that was not supported by any of the commonly accepted standards of truth I would be very concerned about relying on it for my salvation.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, maybe... but he doesn't use tools made by blind men.

"Bart Denton Ehrman (born 1955) is an agnostic atheist American New Testament scholar focusing on textual criticism of the New Testament, the historical Jesus, and the origins and development of early Christianity. He has written and edited 30 books, including three college textbooks. He has also authored six New York Times bestsellers."
Bart D. Ehrman - Wikipedia
Yes and you will find many highly respected scholars who do not agree with the conclusions of Bart Ehrman, could he be right? possibly in some ways but he could also be wrong. As in any other research you have to assign a value to the information you discover, those that do not agree with the vast majority of other scholars have to be treated with due skepticism.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I were to come up with an "amazing truth" that was not supported by any of the commonly accepted standards of truth I would be very concerned about relying on it for my salvation.
Faith in God is the solution you seek. Faith in community can easily get you killed.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Amazing truths" are the ones you discover on your own guided by the Spirit. Historically a number of the others are propaganda created by church leaders.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd be cautious about yours as well. That's exactly why I seek out my own.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Clearly the bible teaches that the disobedience of Adam affected the entire world, it changed what God had intended to be a perfect world into a very imperfect world.

Do we know where the Garden of Eden was? or that it was even on this planet?

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

"commonly accepted standards"... no thanks.

I'd be cautious about yours as well. That's exactly why I seek out my own.

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few there be that find it.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"commonly accepted standards"... no thanks.

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few there be that find it.

For example, that passage is quoted out of context due to some committee somewhere that pulled it out of context. The narrow gate is the golden rule. When taken out of context, people use it to mean whatever they want.

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you,
for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. Enter through the narrow gate.
For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and
many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that
leads to life, and only a few find it.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Each passage explains that what man considers to be evil, is actually part of God's plans.
They were hand picked as they all have the same message that "Free Will" is all orchestrated by God.
Acts 2:23
this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men.

Do yourself a favor and look those scriptures up in a commentary. They do not deny free will, instead they suggest how to use free will. How complicated is this IF God determines all our actions then God is causing us to sin, Do You think that God causes us to sin?

Pelagius on Free Will
“For God, wishing to endow (his) rational creature with the gift of voluntary good and with the power of free will, by implanting in man the possibility of either part, made that to be his own which he may choose, in order that, being by nature capable of good and evil, he might choose either and bend his will to either the one or the other” (Pel. ad Dem. 3, cf. de lib. arb. i., ii., in Aug. de gr. Chr. 18. 19; 4. 5).
Text-book of the history of doctrines : Seeberg, Reinhold, 1859-1935

Is Pelagius doctrine heretical? Looking for opinions.

My question was "IF God determines all our actions then God is causing us to sin, Do You think that God causes us to sin?" would you like to try and answer that question without invalidating your previous posts? Creates a real problem for you does it not?

wow... that'll teach me for butting in and taking the bullet aimed at someone else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
For example, that passage is quoted out of context due to some committee somewhere that pulled it out of context. The narrow gate is the golden rule. When taken out of context, people use it to mean whatever they want.

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you,
for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. Enter through the narrow gate.
For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and
many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that
leads to life, and only a few find it.

Same narrow way
Same gates of hell.

Matthew 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father which is in Heaven. 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter. And upon this rock I will build My church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man which built his house upon the rock: 25 And the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house: and it fell not, for it was founded upon the rock.
7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man which built his house upon the sand: 27 And the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house: and it fell, and great was the fall of it.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
My question was "IF God determines all our actions then God is causing us to sin, Do You think that God causes us to sin?" would you like to try and answer that question without invalidating your previous posts? Creates a real problem for you does it not?

Only one of those four quotes are directed at you.

I think the bullet was meant for you.
Because I see two gospels ...and only follow one of them... I'm all about freewill.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the bullet was meant for you.
Because I see two gospels ...and only follow one of them... I'm all about freewill.
Like the "My Pillow" guy, I keep pillows at hand and absorb any bullets on the fly.
I keep one in each hand and just absorb that stuff easily.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Same narrow way
Same gates of hell.

Matthew 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father which is in Heaven. 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter. And upon this rock I will build My church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man which built his house upon the rock: 25 And the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house: and it fell not, for it was founded upon the rock.
7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man which built his house upon the sand: 27 And the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house: and it fell, and great was the fall of it.

There is no connection between gates of hell and narrow way.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Like the "My Pillow" guy, I keep pillows at hand and absorb any bullets on the fly.
I keep one in each hand and just absorb that stuff easily.

Been there, tried that... all it did was make me mangle one to support the other.

There is no connection between gates of hell and narrow way.

Yeah, there is... flip side. The narrow way is doing what Jesus commands. The wide path of destruction(gates of hell) is the house built on sand. The Words of the Father is the rock.(Deuteronomy 18:18-19, John 12:48-50)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums