Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then I take it you don't believe in that "original sin" nonsense?
I do not see a connection. Adam and Eve were told by God what not to do and they did it anyway, that is knowingly disobedient

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
how can I help you when you do not accept the very scripture that you quoted yourself in your previous post, you want to believe what you want to believe go ahead.
There are teaching methods and methods of persuasion that will work. Also a number of great books on Influence that will help.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Each passage explains that what man considers to be evil, is actually part of God's plans.
They were hand picked as they all have the same message that "Free Will" is all orchestrated by God.

Psalm 37:23
The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way;

Psalm 17:5
My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped.

Proverbs 20:24
A man's steps are from the Lord; how then can man understand his way?

Jeremiah 10:23
I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.

Isaiah 46:10

declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’

Acts 2:23
this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men.
Do yourself a favor and look those scriptures up in a commentary. They do not deny free will, instead they suggest how to use free will. How complicated is this IF God determines all our actions then God is causing us to sin, Do You think that God causes us to sin?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Anything that God says is true, yes.
If you do not read a different meaning into what God has said, that is true, however God"s word means what it meant to the original hearers at the time and under the circumstances, so unless you are an expert scholar, and know history, language and all the other variables I suggest you consult a commentary and quit putting your own meaning into what God has said.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have found a number of issues in commonly accepted theology that don't hold up to examination.
If they don't hold up, then they don't. For example "Church Traditions" is full of worthless junk. "Sermons" or "Teaching" is another one that has been abused.
If they did not hold up they would not have been able to last throughout the thousands of years, they would have been debunked long ago. Millions of people over thousands of years have studied the scriptures yet you think that you know more than all those millions of people?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are teaching methods and methods of persuasion that will work. Also a number of great books on Influence that will help.
Well Jesus, God Himself, was not able to make some people believe what He was teaching either. I can understand the frustration He no doubt experienced with those people.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they did not hold up they would not have been able to last throughout the thousands of years, they would have been debunked long ago. Millions of people over thousands of years have studied the scriptures yet you think that you know more than all those millions of people?
"Facts" are not nearly as influential as emotions are. And Social Pressure is at the top of the list for influence. Example: The church for most of it's history used a Latin Bible when much of it's members were illiterate anyway.
So the bible has only been readable by the unschooled for a few hundred years.
You can note that "Church Traditions" are given as much ranking as scripture itself.
And there WAS an event called the reformation which did exactly as you say.
Martin Luther decided to fix ideas that were broken.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you do not read a different meaning into what God has said, that is true, however God"s word means what it meant to the original hearers at the time and under the circumstances, so unless you are an expert scholar, and know history, language and all the other variables I suggest you consult a commentary and quit putting your own meaning into what God has said.
Commentaries were written by people, who have read a lot of other commentaries.
I never use them. I do my own research from scripture.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well Jesus, God Himself, was not able to make some people believe what He was teaching either. I can understand the frustration He no doubt experienced with those people.
You can empathise with Jesus' frustrations. I'm going to have to chew on that a while.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Commentaries were written by people, who have read a lot of other commentaries.
I never use them. I do my own research from scripture.
that is ridiculous, commentaries are written by scholars and teams of scholars and they are review by scholars and teams of scholars. It is obvious that you do your own research, try using a commentary as part of your research. When a carpenter builds a house with his own hands he still uses all the available tools so that the finished product is the best possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Php 3:1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.
Php 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
Php 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
Someone here said Paul didn't expect his letters to be published to the whole world.
Gotta say, I completely agree: Philippians 3... (sigh)

:cool: But THIS is the Gospel of the Kingdom:
Matthew 5:43:48 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in Heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in Heaven is perfect.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Yes clearly if you know the truth but fail to accept it you are responsible that is not the same as invincible ignorance. As I said God is just, you are not responsible for things you do not know.

Then I take it you don't believe in that "original sin" nonsense?

I do not see a connection. Adam and Eve were told by God what not to do and they did it anyway, that is knowingly disobedient

The connection between Adam's sin and newborn babies who... would be held accountable for things they never did and things they do not know... via the original sin theological school.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
We determine the validity of claims based on previous writings.

I know I do. I'm not so sure about the "we" aspect. Do all--or even most--people base their theology on what came first? Doesn't seem that way, to me. In fact, the opposite seems to be the rule, given the discussions I have on this forum.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Do yourself a favor and look those scriptures up in a commentary. They do not deny free will, instead they suggest how to use free will. How complicated is this IF God determines all our actions then God is causing us to sin, Do You think that God causes us to sin?

Pelagius on Free Will
“For God, wishing to endow (his) rational creature with the gift of voluntary good and with the power of free will, by implanting in man the possibility of either part, made that to be his own which he may choose, in order that, being by nature capable of good and evil, he might choose either and bend his will to either the one or the other” (Pel. ad Dem. 3, cf. de lib. arb. i., ii., in Aug. de gr. Chr. 18. 19; 4. 5).
Text-book of the history of doctrines : Seeberg, Reinhold, 1859-1935

Is Pelagius doctrine heretical? Looking for opinions.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
that is ridiculous, commentaries are written by scholars and teams of scholars and they are review by scholars and teams of scholars. It is obvious that you do your own research, try using a commentary as part of your research. When a carpenter builds a house with his own hands he still uses all the available tools so that the finished product is the best possible.
Yes, I am a ridiculous person. I have eliminated any form of commentaries and have learned amazing truths. When I post my research it is despised by many who have been taught all their lives ideas that are not supported by scripture. Mostly lessons from their mommies and daddies I imagine. I dunno.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

Yeah, maybe... but he doesn't use tools made by blind men.

Yes, I am a ridiculous person. I have eliminated any form of commentaries and have learned amazing truths. When I post my research it is despised by many who have been taught all their lives ideas that are not supported by scripture. Mostly lessons from their mommies and daddies I imagine. I dunno.

"Bart Denton Ehrman (born 1955) is an agnostic atheist American New Testament scholar focusing on textual criticism of the New Testament, the historical Jesus, and the origins and development of early Christianity. He has written and edited 30 books, including three college textbooks. He has also authored six New York Times bestsellers."
Bart D. Ehrman - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Someone here said Paul didn't expect his letters to be published to the whole world.

I was saying that there is little evidence that Paul considered the letters he was writing and was going to write would be considered scripture in the years ahead. A little, but very little.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

:cool: But THIS is the Gospel of the Kingdom:
Matthew 5:43:48 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in Heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in Heaven is perfect.
Yes Paul only expected them to be published to the Christian world, not the entire world. He sent messengers to take his letters from church to church, that is how the word was published in those days.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The connection between Adam's sin and newborn babies who... would be held accountable for things they never did and things they do not know... via the original sin theological school.
Clearly the bible teaches that the disobedience of Adam affected the entire world, it changed what God had intended to be a perfect world into a very imperfect world.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pelagius on Free Will
“For God, wishing to endow (his) rational creature with the gift of voluntary good and with the power of free will, by implanting in man the possibility of either part, made that to be his own which he may choose, in order that, being by nature capable of good and evil, he might choose either and bend his will to either the one or the other” (Pel. ad Dem. 3, cf. de lib. arb. i., ii., in Aug. de gr. Chr. 18. 19; 4. 5).
Text-book of the history of doctrines : Seeberg, Reinhold, 1859-1935

Is Pelagius doctrine heretical? Looking for opinions.
My question was "IF God determines all our actions then God is causing us to sin, Do You think that God causes us to sin?" would you like to try and answer that question without invalidating your previous posts? Creates a real problem for you does it not?

Upvote 0