Oct 23, 2014
✟83,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it. —Matthew 19:12

Nope can't say what I want to say. But if he cuts it off there really is no going back. :p

• Haha
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What if God overrides that vow, and commands you to marry someone of His choosing later on? Marriage can be one of the most powerful forms of sanctification there is.

The Bible warns us to be very careful when making vows to a just and holy God - He takes them VERY seriously.

I would strongly advise not to do so. Breaking a promise to God can bring about divine chastisement and severe consequences, even for a born-again believer. It's not something to take lightly. If you really feel that strongly about it, it would be best to vow to focus on God in the time being, rather than promise never to marry at all. It's up to you though, just be aware.

What happens if you promise God you'll quit smoking in exchange for a favour? You have your request and quit. Months later you start again due to various reasons. Are you in spiritual danger?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What happens if you promise God you'll quit smoking in exchange for a favour? You have your request and quit. Months later you start again due to various reasons. Are you in spiritual danger?
What did Jesus say in the desert? Matthew 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you seriously deal with it, i.e. repent and spend time seeking His forgiveness in prayer, then there's no reason to worry. We are in training for righteousness here on earth, and God does know that we're fallible. But at the same time, it is a serious matter. God will never break a promise to us, and He expects the same in return. Sometimes there may be a consequence as a form of discipline, or perhaps He'll show us mercy, it all depends. But, He'll always respond as a loving Father, and He always knows the best way to handle it.

A long time ago when I was a newly born-again Christian, I broke a vow to God. I promised I wouldn't do something, and felt God get my attention immediately, showing me just how seriously He took it. I had confidence in myself and reassured Him I wouldn't break it. But, I ended up doing so anyway not long after. I felt completely devastated afterwards, but confessed it and spent a lot of time in deep prayer, and God did restore me. It took awhile to fully restore my relationship with Him, but over time it did happen. It had enough of an impact on me that I've never made a promise to Him since, and am more sober minded when it comes to making a vow like that.

I do believe He allowed it though to show me not to have any confidence in myself. I learned a valuable lesson from that experience, in more ways than one, and learned that true change comes from yielding to God and renewing my mind with His word. God is the one who changes us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you seriously deal with it, i.e. repent and spend time seeking him about the issue, then there's no reason to worry. We are in training for righteousness here on earth, and God does know that we're fallible. But at the same time, it is a serious matter. God will never break a promise to us, and He expects the same in return. Sometimes there may be a consequence as a form of discipline, or perhaps He'll show us mercy, it all depends. But, He'll always respond as a loving Father, and He always knows the best way to handle it.

A long time ago when I was a newly born-again Christian, I broke a vow to God. I promised I wouldn't do something, and felt God get my attention immediately, showing me just how seriously He took it. I had confidence in myself and reassured Him I wouldn't break it. But, I ended up doing so anyway not long after. I felt completely devastated afterwards, but confessed it and spent a lot of time in deep prayer, and God did restore me. It took awhile to fully restore my relationship with Him, but over time it did happen. It had enough of an impact on me that I've never made a promise to Him since, and am more sober minded when it comes to making a vow like that.

I do believe He allowed it though to show me not to have any confidence in myself. I learned a valuable lesson from that experience, in more ways than one, and learned that true change comes from yielding to God and renewing my mind with His word. God is the one who changes us.

Thank you for your response. I do feel disconnected, although I have finally quit. Many years later, though, I am ashamed to say.

Reactions: Rigatoni
Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your response. I do feel disconnected, although I have finally quit. Many years later, though, I am ashamed to say.
That feeling of being disconnected could be His way of getting your attention. I would recommend to confess the broken vow, and to spend time in prayer seeking Him about it and seeking His forgiveness. Sometimes, He may require us to spend time in serious prayer or even fasting in order to deal with something, or to hear from Him. A good analogy would be in the Song of Solomon, when the Shulamite woman sought her beloved diligently in order to find him again. And of course, she found him gathering flowers for her in a garden; he never really left.

And there's no reason to feel ashamed. Sanctification is a life long process; overcoming sin can take time. Some Christians can struggle for up to a decade or longer, before finally giving up a particular sin or addiction. I think the fact you gave it up at all is praiseworthy, actually. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand. God can't force you to do a darned thing.
What I presented wasn't supposed to be a literal situation; that wasn't meant to be the focus of the message. But rather, it was meant to get blessedintrovert to see things from a different perspective, and to consider other possibilities in general. I wanted to make sure he knew what he was doing, and be open to a greater plan God might have for him.

Although, in terms of God forcing us to do things, he can have a very powerful level of influence. Just look at what happened to Saul, Jonah, etc. =P God saves us in order to do His will, not the other way around. This was the delight of even Jesus Himself (John 4:34). We grow in learning to die to ourselves and live for God over time, throughout our walk with Him; it's a gradual process.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What I presented wasn't supposed to be a literal situation; that wasn't meant to be the focus of the message. But rather, it was meant to get blessedintrovert to see things from a different perspective, and to consider other possibilities in general. I wanted to make sure he knew what he was doing, and be open to a greater plan God might have for him.

Although, in terms of God forcing us to do things, he can have a very powerful level of influence. Just look at what happened to Saul, Jonah, etc. =P God saves us in order to do His will, not the other way around. This was the delight of even Jesus Himself (John 4:34). We grow in learning to die to ourselves and live for God over time, throughout our walk with Him; it's a gradual process.
Oh ok. Anyway sorry for what looked like a snap :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Rigatoni
Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,261.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This seemed to be a decision based purely on frustration, especially based on previous threads I've read from this member. That's why I issued the warning, I want him to be careful. God truly knows his heart though.

Okay brother, thanks for the clarification. Not even having close friendships with women might be a bit extreme though. I've been waiting for about the same amount of time, and yes it is frustrating. But, I'm still praying over it and waiting patiently on His timing. Remember that Jacob had to wait 14 years for his beloved.
Hi, what do you think would be the consequences of breaking a vow made between you and God?

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible never to swear or make an oath?
We are warned in scripture to be very careful when making an oath, especially before God. He loves us immensely, but will not be mocked; God takes vows (especially before or to Him) very seriously.

"When you make a vow to God, do not delay to fulfill it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it." -Ecclesiastes 5:4-5

"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." -Matthew 5:33-37

Hi, what do you think would be the consequences of breaking a vow made between you and God?
It all depends. God's main goal is sanctification, to shape us into the image of Christ, and He always responds as a loving Father. Although, breaking a vow to God is a serious matter. When I was young in my walk with God, I broke a vow to Him, and was devastated. It took a while for my relationship with Him to be restored from that, and I could sense He wasn't pleased. Yet, He showed me mercy.

Although, God may not always respond like that. Sometimes, He may chose bring about divine discipline of some kind.

Reactions: -Luca
Upvote 0