Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What if God overrides that vow, and commands you to marry someone of His choosing later on? Marriage can be one of the most powerful forms of sanctification there is.

The Bible warns us to be very careful when making vows to a just and holy God - He takes them VERY seriously.
Ecclesiastes 5:4-5 said:
When you vow a vow to God, do not delay paying it, for he has no pleasure in fools. Pay what you vow. It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay.

I would strongly advise not to do so. Breaking a promise to God can bring about divine chastisement and severe consequences, even for a born-again believer. It's not something to take lightly. If you really feel that strongly about it, it would be best to vow to focus on God in the time being, rather than promise never to marry at all. It's up to you though, just be aware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blessedintrovert

Nov 9, 2016
USA
✟17,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank you, God knows my situation and understands why I am making this vow and I intended not to break it. I am going as far as never having a dating relationship or close friendships with women inside or outside of church. I am to remain single and do what the Lord intends me to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible warns us to be very careful when making vows to a just and holy God - He takes them VERY seriously.

I would agree if this was an overnight decision. But we don't have details on how long, how much fasting and prayers, and blessings of his pastor, it took for him to arrive at this decision.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's done anyway. I hope you feel the additional clarity that this decision brings and that other's doubts don't rub off on you.

I think knowing that you're resolutely single brings a lot of peace with it.

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
???
Any example of that in Scripture ?
If a believer makes a vow that is contrary to God's will for them, He doesn't have to honor it. God has the final word.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank you, God knows my situation and understands why I am making this vow and I intended not to break it. I am going as far as never having a dating relationship or close friendships with women inside or outside of church. I am to remain single and do what the Lord intends me to do.
That is fine but be careful not to flaunt your decision like others who see themselves as set apart do. Then it becomes a matter of pride.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If a believer makes a vow that is contrary to God's will for them, He doesn't have to honor it. God has the final word.
That doesn't answer the question, and God is not the one who "honor's a man's vow"... the man must keep his word, even if it brings himself harm. (as written in Scripture posted already).

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
???
Any example of that in Scripture ?
I'm thinking of what happened with the Israelites when they were tricked into making an oath protecting strangers from neighbouring peoples. When they had worn out shoes and stale bread to pretend that they were from afar. (In Joshua)

The Israelites had to keep that promise even though it was against the Lord's instructions. Did their descendents cause some of Israel's problems?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is fine but be careful not to flaunt your decision like others who see themselves as set apart do. Then it becomes a matter of pride.
Hey, my brother. Are you determined to be negative? :D I do that sometimes not realising. I have a Christian brother who calls me out on it and I realise that I'm just being contrary for the sake of it.

If I'm mistaken, I am sorry! :)

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would agree if this was an overnight decision. But we don't have details on how long, how much fasting and prayers, and blessings of his pastor, it took for him to arrive at this decision.
This seemed to be a decision based purely on frustration, especially based on previous threads I've read from this member. That's why I issued the warning, I want him to be careful. God truly knows his heart though.

I have come to the conclusion over 12 years of waiting on the Lord so it was not a overnight thing.
Okay brother, thanks for the clarification. Not even having close friendships with women might be a bit extreme though. I've been waiting for about the same amount of time, and yes it is frustrating. But, I'm still praying over it and waiting patiently on His timing. Remember that Jacob had to wait 14 years for his beloved.

• Optimistic
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hey, my brother. Are you determined to be negative?
Nope, just advising of pitfalls along the way. He will meet with opposition and that may eventually lead to a defensive attitude. This thread is a good example. He made a statement and right away everybody including me put in their 2 cents worth without even being asked lol

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0