Nearly Four Million Low-Income Americans Now Have Health Coverage Under Obamacare

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. What I meant wasn't anecdotal cases, but on the whole what the majority of people had before being cancelled then redirected or going on to the exchange.

I think it a misconception to say people were "cancelled" when in reality they are being redirected to other plans.

Most of the ones I know about were actually canceled. Yes, they have insurance through the ACA now but what they have is not near close to what they had before.

As I pointed out, I'm not against saying it's helping people. Certainly it is. But I just can't be "IT'S WORKING!" when clearly it's not - not when a majority of people have lost their insurance or are paying more than they were for crappier benefits.

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Most of the ones I know about were actually canceled. Yes, they have insurance through the ACA now but what they have is not near close to what they had before.

As I pointed out, I'm not against saying it's helping people. Certainly it is. But I just can't be "IT'S WORKING!" when clearly it's not - not when a majority of people have lost their insurance or are paying more than they were for crappier benefits.

Lost means completely gone. Again, those people through one avenue or another have insurance.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Lost means completely gone. Again, those people through one avenue or another have insurance.

I think you're better than this argument. They LOST their insurance because of the ACA. Now they're forced to pay MORE for LESS.

How can that possibly be GOOD?

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
I think you're better than this argument. They LOST their insurance because of the ACA. Now they're forced to pay MORE for LESS.

How can that possibly be GOOD?

Existing policies were cancelled because they didn't offer enough coverage. They were cancelled because they were inefficient. I am no sure how you get idea that they now have less insurance than before the ACA? You had policies that could be cancelled at the drop of a hat for the most mundane reasons. You now have policies were deductibles are capped. You now have policies regardless of unfortunately having a preexisting condition. You now have children covered till 26. Some now have subsidies to buy more insurance at the price of an inferior insurance. That didn't exist prior. How is that less insurance than before the ACA?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Existing policies were cancelled because they didn't offer enough coverage. They were cancelled because they were inefficient. I am no sure how you get idea that they now have less insurance than before the ACA? You had policies that could be cancelled at the drop of a hat for the most mundane reasons. You now have policies were deductibles are capped. You now have policies regardless of unfortunately having a preexisting condition. You now have children covered till 26. You now have subsidizes to buy more insurance at the price of an inferior insurance. That didn't exist prior. How is that less insurance than before the ACA?

Bob has insurance that covers his needs perfectly. He pays a reasonable amount for it. Unfortunately, due to the ACA mandate, his company can't offer that insurance any more. He has to change his insurance, which now doesn't cover as much as his previous plan did. He now has to pay a higher rate for that insurance.

In what possible way is the story above an indication that the ACA is working??

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Bob has insurance that covers his needs perfectly. He pays a reasonable amount for it. Unfortunately, due to the ACA mandate, his company can't offer that insurance any more. He has to change his insurance, which now doesn't cover as much as his previous plan did. He now has to pay a higher rate for that insurance.

I'd really like to know what the differences are in these plans that cause prices to go up as much as you're talking about.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others

So what you have is anecdotal and hypothetical. In the long run given the facts I laid out people now have more insurance then they had before, and some of it a lot cheaper in exchanges.

Your scenario is not the norm. The Incidental Economist

HERE: A Rand Corp. report finds that, with the Affordable Care Act, workers at firms employing fewer than 100 people are expected pay almost 6 percent less in premiums in 2016 than without the law

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Susan's parents were paying for her health insurance, but planned to cancel the policy at the end of the year because it was too expensive to keep up with at $250 a month.

When the new plans rolled out, Susan found out she was eligible for a tax credit to help her afford a plan. She found a plan that met her needs even better than the plan she used to have- it covered the doctors she had been paying completely out of pocket for before. She would finally be able to see a psychologist without paying two to three hundred dollars a visit, because the new plan had a simple 50 dollar copay.

The new plan also covered medication she needed, that under her old plan cost more than $800 for a month's supply. She no longer had to take the generic, which had an annoying side effect of putting her to sleep after every dose- three times a day.

The tax credit slashed the price to 1/6 of her old, pre-ACA plan, and she was able to afford to pay for the plan all on her own.

Only change the name "Susan" to "KitKatMatt" :p I can't see how the ACA works at all...!

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So what you have is anecdotal and hypothetical. In the long run given the facts I laid out people now have more insurance then they had before, and some of it a lot cheaper in exchanges.

Your scenario is not the norm. The Incidental Economist

HERE: A Rand Corp. report finds that, with the Affordable Care Act, workers at firms employing fewer than 100 people are expected pay almost 6 percent less in premiums in 2016 than without the law

It's the norm here, though. That's what I'm saying. And it's affecting people that the ACA was supposed to help.

Susan's parents were paying for her health insurance, but planned to cancel the policy at the end of the year because it was too expensive to keep up with at $250 a month.

When the new plans rolled out, Susan found out she was eligible for a tax credit to help her afford a plan. She found a plan that met her needs even better than the plan she used to have- it covered the doctors she had been paying completely out of pocket for before. She would finally be able to see a psychologist without paying two to three hundred dollars a visit, because the new plan had a simple 50 dollar copay.

The new plan also covered medication she needed, that under her old plan cost more than $800 for a month's supply. She no longer had to take the generic, which had an annoying side effect of putting her to sleep after every dose- three times a day.

The tax credit slashed the price to 1/6 of her old, pre-ACA plan, and she was able to afford to pay for the plan all on her own.

Only change the name "Susan" to "KitKatMatt" :p I can't see how the ACA works at all...!

As I've pointed out numerous times, I have gladly stated that it is helping some people. Unfortunately, in my case, YOUR case is not the norm.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's the norm here, though. That's what I'm saying. And it's affecting people that the ACA was supposed to help.

As I've pointed out numerous times, I have gladly stated that it is helping some people. Unfortunately, in my case, YOUR case is not the norm.

Are the people you're talking about ones who were supposed to be helped by the Medicaid expansion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
What does here mean?

My house?

My block?

My neighborhood?

My town?

My county?

My state?

I am talking the country.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sadly, "some" is the operative word here.

If Obamacare is such an awesome deal... :clap::clap:
If Obamacare is "saving lives" as some seem to think... :clap::clap:
If Obamacare is so "affordable"... :clap::clap:
If Obamacare solves the problem of the 47,000,000 uninsured... :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Why have only 7,000,000 people [theoretically] signed up for it? :scratch:

Why did so many people wait to the last minute to sign up for it? :scratch:

And where are the remaining 40,000,000 people (47M - 7M = 40M) for whom it was sold? :scratch:

:scratch:

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Are the people you're talking about ones who were supposed to be helped by the Medicaid expansion?

they're not on medicaid.

I'm talking about low to middle income families who were struggling with health care costs to begin with.

Our struggle has gotten much worse. I have to hope and pray that nothing uber bad happens in the next year because we'll be screwed financially if it does, even with a nice new higher paying job.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
they're not on medicaid.

I'm talking about low to middle income families who were struggling with health care costs to begin with.

Our struggle has gotten much worse. I have to hope and pray that nothing uber bad happens in the next year because we'll be screwed financially if it does, even with a nice new higher paying job.
:groupray:

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
they're not on medicaid.

I know.

There's a gap in the current implementation of the ACA: people currently on Medicaid are fine, and if you make over a certain amount of money you can get a subsidy to help with the premiums. But if you make too much for Medicaid, but too little for the subsidy, you're screwed - people in this situation were supposed to be covered by the Medicaid expansion that the ACA tried to enact, but that states successfully had the USSC rule unconstitutional. If you're one of these people and you're in a state that didn't expand its Medicaid eligibility in accordance with the original design of the ACA, blame your governor.

Those are many of the people I was talking about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Conservatives Discover That Obamacare Will Help A Lot Of People

Conservatives Discover That Obamacare Will Help A Lot Of People

'' Obamacare crossed the 7 million sign-ups milestone before the midnight deadline Monday, sparking angst and introspection among conservative policy wonks about the future of their quest to wipe the health care law off the books.

Central to their dilemma is the emerging discovery that many people will end up benefiting from Obamacare. Despite the health care law's problems, unanswered questions and unknown costs, it can hardly be denied that millions of American are slated to reap the benefits of its insurance subsidies, the Medicaid expansion and beefed-up consumer protections. ''

ACA = Saving lives and money every day!!!

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
err...what??
As I've written before, it's my personal belief that so-called "Health Coverage" - in context of ACA/ObamaCare - is actually pharmaceutical & allopathic "sorcery care".

Those who practice such pharmakon-"drug remedies" are practicing sorcery, and it is my belief that this is a sin: Rev 21:8 "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." "Sorcerers" in the Greek is the word φαρμακεῦσιν (pharmakois), which is related to the modern word "pharmaceutical" or "pharmacy".

So-called "allopathic medicine" today revolves around the "pharmaceutical drug remedy".

"Sorcery Coverage" ;)

Upvote 0