Nearly a Third of Americans Believe Covid-19 Death Toll Conspiracy theory

Do you believe that the Covid-19 Death Toll or Disease is a hoax or part of a conspiracy?

• Total voters

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It means the 3,430 cases were reported using the ELR, Electronic Laboratory Reporting system. But doctors' offices, etc. may not have access to that system so they may use another method of reporting such as email, telephone call, etc. (This is explained in the PDF file I linked to.) The other 856 reported cases were reported by some other means than the ELR, such as those listed above.

@dogs4thewin

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I am confused because they say we have 4k some cases today, but only 3k something of them were actual active cases that is how I got that.

Other have responded to other parts of this, but here are a few definitions:

Case: a person who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.

New case (or new daily case): Cases identified on a particular day

Cumulative (or total) cases: all cases in a particular geographic region since the begining

Resolved case: apatient that is no longer sick, or is dead.

Cumulative (or total) resolved cases: all resolved cases to date.

Active cases: All cases that have been diagnosed, but not resolved (i.e., people who are currently sick); Active cases = Cumulative cases - cumulative resolved cases

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Other have responded to other parts of this, but here are a few definitions:

Case: a person who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.

New case (or new daily case): Cases identified on a particular day

Cumulative (or total) cases: all cases in a particular geographic region since the begining

Resolved case: apatient that is no longer sick, or is dead.

Cumulative (or total) resolved cases: all resolved cases to date.

Active cases: All cases that have been diagnosed, but not resolved (i.e., people who are currently sick); Active cases = Cumulative cases - cumulative resolved cases
That's not what she is talking about. She's looking at specific numbers from the Georgia coVid site and trying to understand what the difference between the numbers reported. I think she's almost there now.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think the death toll is inflated in an effort to qualify for as much federal aid as possible.
Creationist Playbook, page 2.

Scientists are all lying so they can get gubmint grant money.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Creationist Playbook, page 2.

Scientists are all lying so they can get gubmint grant money.
There are a lot of organizations who are struggling financially due to COVID. States are struggling, because sales tax revenues are down and unemployment expenses are up. Hospitals are struggling, because elective procedures are on-hold.

I will admit that I don't know the details of the federal aid that might be going to states and hospitals and similar organizations involved in COVID death tallies, but I imagine at least one factor might be the perceived magnitude of the COVID problem in that region. In many cases a death can be attributed to several causes. Most people dying from COVID have other health conditions that make their bodies less able to cope.

I live in an area that is declared a national disaster due to hurricanes almost every 5 years, and I have witnessed the way people and organizations compete for federal aid and can often turn a disaster into a windfall by knowing how to get the most federal aid possible.

Again, this is only what I suspect based on the volume of government aid in circulation right now and witnessing how it has worked after hurricanes.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From my understanding the remaining cases are those that tested positive for anti-bodies meaning they had it at one time.
I realize that that is your understanding, I just don't know how you arrive at that understanding based on the documentaiton you yourself provided. Are you going on hearsay that you heard somewhere else?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's not what she is talking about. She's looking at specific numbers from the Georgia coVid site and trying to understand what the difference between the numbers reported. I think she's almost there now.

I saw that there was some issue about a specific reporting. I thought it was important to define "active cases" as it is properly used. (There may be errors in some usage in some reporting.)

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
There are a lot of organizations who are struggling financially due to COVID. States are struggling, because sales tax revenues are down and unemployment expenses are up. Hospitals are struggling, because elective procedures are on-hold.

I will admit that I don't know the details of the federal aid that might be going to states and hospitals and similar organizations involved in COVID death tallies, but I imagine at least one factor might be the perceived magnitude of the COVID problem in that region. In many cases a death can be attributed to several causes. Most people dying from COVID have other health conditions that make their bodies less able to cope.

I live in an area that is declared a national disaster due to hurricanes almost every 5 years, and I have witnessed the way people and organizations compete for federal aid and can often turn a disaster into a windfall by knowing how to get the most federal aid possible.

Again, this is only what I suspect based on the volume of government aid in circulation right now and witnessing how it has worked after hurricanes.
We also know that billionaire hedge fund managers were ending up with millions of dollars meant for struggling small business of I believe 50 or less employees (IIRC the hedge fund manager laid off around 7000 employees and faked 42 small businesses).

If there IS an abundance of federal grant money floating around, I would rather it go to hospitals than millionaires, billionaires and large for profit corporations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
In regards to the OP, I'm not at all surprised.

There seem to be MANY Americans who would gladly sacrifice tens of thousands of their fellow citizens if it means not being inconvenienced in their daily lives in any way. Calling the coronavirus pandemic a government conspiracy is just mental cover.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We also know that billionaire hedge fund managers were ending up with millions of dollars meant for struggling small business of I believe 50 or less employees (IIRC the hedge fund manager laid off around 7000 employees and faked 42 small businesses).

If there IS an abundance of federal grant money floating around, I would rather it go to hospitals than millionaires, billionaires and large for profit corporations.
I recently learned of a less publicized federal COVID aid program where corporate bonds are purchased directly by the Federal Reserve (if I understand it correctly). Apparently the money devoted to this program dwarfs the money devoted to the SBA PPP program.

There is a lot of money being thrown at COVID and a lot of incentive for people to bend the rules and fudge numbers to compete for it. An analogy is when an accountant finds every conceivable tax deduction for his/her client or when a lawyer tells a client the bare minimum needed to comply with a law. To expect that death toll statistics are not being distorted at least a little bit seems naive. The question is how much they are being distorted. Some distortion is inherent in statistics, because numbers can't encompass every detail of every circumstance. If COVID shortens the life of a terminally ill patient by one month is that a COVID death? - maybe and maybe not depending on how a person wants to use the statistics.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think the positive case count, death toll, or transmission rates are a hoax at all, they're very real...and it's a serious thing we're dealing with here.

The "misleading" aspect comes into play when they continue to incessantly compare it to the Spanish Flu to promote a pro-lockdown narrative, when the numbers would suggest that it's more comparable to the H2N2 or H3N2 pandemics of the 50's and 60's.

Or when talking heads like Cuomo go on the air and bash people for being "anti-science", when, during his family's Covid encounter, used Homeopathy, "Oxygenated Herbs", avoiding GMOs, and bleach baths to try to treat it.

While, in terms of the pure science, the left has been more aligned with it than the right, they don't do themselves any favors with their lack of consistency.

If they wanted more credibility on the matter, there's a couple of key strategic approaches that should've been employed:
1) Criticize the protests as much as they did beach gatherings.
2) Hold all well-known public figures to scientific standards. (Meaning, don't try to shine a spotlight on "how silly conservatives are for buying into hydroxychloroquine" while simultaneously revering someone who thinks that homeopathy and "chiropractic adjustments" and "avoiding GMO foods" offer any sort of protection"...in more plain terms...anyone using homeopathy to treat covid is just as far away from science is Donald and his "droxy treats")
3) Stop intentionally trying to draw parallels between Covid and the worst pandemic in the 20th century to promote a narrative (when there are other pandemics it's much closer to in terms of stats) of "we need to lock down"
4) Stop giving a pass to people within their own political factions for blatantly idiotic moves. For instance, if there was a governor who was sending people back into nursing homes after testing positive, when "we know this is more deadly for older people and people with preexisting conditions than everyone else" is one of the very few things universally agreed upon by both sides and the experts, stop acting like he's doing "such a great job in comparison to other governors".
5) Stop using masks as a political symbol (granted, both sides are guilty of that one, as people refusing masking is just as political as the people posting selfies of themselves wearing one along in their car)
6) Have a more consistent news cycle. CNN's reporting was beyond predictable of the last few months. On days when certain covid metrics were up, they'd focus exclusively on covid, on days when they were down, they focused exclusively on social justice type narratives. If covid is "the biggest story out there", then a day when the death rate goes down, it should be big news, on those days, CNN would post local stories about how "random woman calls cops on black guy in the park for throwing a Frisbee".
7) Stop trying to use a pandemic to check boxes off of a political wish list. When prominent democrats (and there have been multiple) have publicly said "this is a good opportunity for us to accomplish some of the things we've been trying to do for years", it's not a good look.

Upvote 0