Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jews of Jesus day believed that too. That's why they had the word "Paradise", from the Persian word Pardes, or garden. After death, the righteous go to a garden and enjoy the presence of God.

But that's not surprising. If people think they go to Heaven when they die we would expect this kind of thing.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jews of Jesus day believed that too. That's why we have the word "Paradise", from the Persian word Pardes, garden. After death, the righteous go to a garden and enjoy the presence of God.
Where do you get that from OT writings? I've never heard anyone Jewish say that or even imply that.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Where do you get that from OT writings? I've never heard anyone Jewish say that or even imply that.

Modern Jews have diverse beliefs and do not necessarily represent 1st century Jewish beliefs. Whole sects of Judaism have died out since then.

The Old Testament is not a full picture of Jewish beliefs or theology, it's just the core scriptures. In Jesus' day, Judaism was a lot more diverse and a lot less secular.

The apocrypha is very useful for understanding Jewish beliefs and attitudes during Jesus day, as are other writings such as the Dead Sea Scrolls (written by an apocalyptic sect that lived in the desert). They had much more developed beliefs about the afterlife than what is present in the rest of the Old Testament. In fact it can be difficult to understand the transition from Old Testament to New Testament Judaism without reading the apocrypha.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Modern Jews have diverse beliefs and do not necessarily represent 1st century Jewish beliefs. Whole sects of Judaism have died out since then.

The Old Testament is not a full picture of Jewish beliefs or theology, it's just the core scriptures. In Jesus' day, Judaism was a lot more diverse and a lot less secular.

The apocrypha is very useful for understanding Jewish beliefs and attitudes during Jesus day, as are other writings such as the Dead Sea Scrolls (written by an apocalyptic sect that lived in the desert). They had much more developed beliefs about the afterlife than what is present in the rest of the Old Testament. In fact it can be difficult to understand the transition from Old Testament to New Testament Judaism without reading the apocrypha.
I am pretty firm on the 66 Books of the Bible only as being scripture, so I would not have read the apocrypha or the gnostic texts.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
(4b) Dr. Eben Alexander is a top neurosurgeon who taught at Harvard Medical School. The most severe kind of fatal meningitis destroyed his cerebral cortex to the point that his subsequent experience of Paradise and encounter with God should have been impossible. But what really convinced him was his NDE encounter with a beautiful young woman floating with him on a butterfly wing and sending him reassuring thoughts of how deeply he was loved.

Dr. Alexander had been adopted as a child and had never been able to track down his birth parents. But his quest for them finally paid off after his unexpected and miraculous recovery. During this joyful visit, he was told about his sister who had recently died. They mailed him a photo of her that changed his life: he realized at once that she was the beautiful girl on the giant butterfly! You need to watch this brief thrilling video:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...B0714D5A710672135235B0714D5A7106721&FORM=VIRE

Just think of it! 4-year-ld Colton Burpo's NDE brought him a hug from his sister who died in childbirth, a sister unknown to him. Now Dr. Alexander also encounters his unknown dead sister. And these 2 cases could be multiplied with similar verifications.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
(5) NDEs: Other Miraculous Verifications:
(5a) Pastor Dave replaced me after I retired. He shares the testimony of a farmer who lived in the Colfax, WA region. The farmer was ploughing one of his fields, when he reached for something, lost his balance, and fell off the tractor. The huge tractor wheel ran across his chest, crushing ribs, and leaving him seriously injured. But he then had an NDE, during which he was told that his time was not up and he still had a purpose to fulfill on earth.

But he could barely move and his tractor had continued on without a driver and had vanishes over the slope of his field. His situation seemed hopeless, but just then, he saw his driverless tractor returning over the slope where it had vanished. The tractor came towards him. Would it crush his body? No, it motored to his left, and then stopped, idling right beside him! With great difficulty, he was able to climb aboard and get to his house, from which his family was able to get him the medical help he needed to survive.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
(5b) A few years ago, I had lunch in Kelowna, BC, with Gord, an old friend who served as a chaplain. Gord told me about a visit with Annie, a bedridden elderly woman in a nursing home. After chatting with her for a while, Gord noticed a bottle of lilac cologne sitting on the little table by her bed and asked her if she'd like an application of the cologne. When she eagerly agreed, Gord called a nursing aid to apply it to Annie. She just reveled in the marvelous odor, sighed deeply, and passed away. What a way to go!

Shortly thereafter, her daughter and son-in-law were cleaning their barn, when the daughter was startled by the smell of lilacs piercing through the unappetizing odors of barn excrement and urine. She asked her husband, "Do you smell that?" Her husband replied, "Yeah, but I was afraid to say anything because it seems so odd in this otherwise stinky barn!" She then received the phone call, notifying her of her Mom's passing.

When Annie's daughter arrived at the nursing home, she was shocked to see the bottle of lilac cologne by her Mom's bedside, especially when she heard Gord's account of how Annie died, reveling in the cologne's sweet odor after its application to her body. No one knows how the bottle got there!

Odors unique to our loved ones are not an uncommon signature of NDEs and ADCs. What makes this case so unique is that the lilac odor was able to overpower strong unpleasant barn odors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
As I said, the NDE and ADC evidence for an afterlife is far, far superior to any evidence from Christian apologetics and even provides excellent support for Jesus' resurrection. Yet most Christians are so incapable of thinking outside the box that they freeze like Bambi in the headlights when confronted with this evidence.

(5c) I had just performed a wedding at my church in Buffalo, NY, and was now attending the reception at a country club. I happened to sit next to Phyllis, a rather aloof but attractive blonde doctor and medical researcher. She shared her 2 highly instructive NDEs with me. She had never believed in NDEs prior to her own experience. The first was triggered by a car accident. She found herself floating up to "a mall that really wasn't a mall. It was a mall composed of white light."

There she came upon a court area with several tables and a hidden orchestra playing beautiful music. Seated at one of the tables was her deceased mother. When Phyllis joined her, the Mom chided her, "You really need to grieve over my passing. Your inability to do so in hampering my progress over here!" This guilt trip made Phyllis very uncomfortable. She had always dealt with tragedy and disappointment by detaching from her emotions. Finally, she excused herself,"Well, I guess I'll try to get back into my body now."

A couple of years later, Phyllis was taken to the hospital for a serious operation.
She didn't explicitly identify her illness, but she gave me the impression it was a woman's ailment like cervical cancer. Her illness triggered another NDE. She again found herself in the "mall of white light" at her mother's table in the court area. Her mother again lit into her," I told you your failure to grieve my passing is preventing my progress over here! Why haven't you done what I asked?"

The soothing orchestra music in the background actually grated on Phyllis's nerves. She hadn't expected this second confrontation. Upset, she again suggested that she should leave. But her mother retorted, "No, you're not ready to leave! You need to go with these 2 gentlemen." Two tall men in white robes appeared and led her to "an elevator that wasn't really an elevator. It was an elevator of white light." They ascended to what seemed like a spirit hospital. Some sort of "medical" procedure was performed on Dr. Phyllis, which she didn't understand. Then she was returned to her hospital bed in this world. The "medical" procedure had cured her and she was released from the hospital!

I never saw Phyllis again. Obviously, I was only dimly aware of the psychological baggage between her and her Mom. I have since often wondered if Phyllis was ever able to get in touch with her emotions and grieve her loss. Two intriguing inferences might be drawn from her NDEs: (1) After a loved one's death, our ongoing reactions or lack of same can affect our loved ones' progress on the other side. (2) Paranormal reports (e. g. in OBEs) of a mall-like meeting area and some sort of rehab center in Paradise just might be true.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
(6) Consider now 2 recent famous NDEs experienced by young children.
(6a) Colton Burpo had just turned 4 when he almost died from a ruptured appendix. His story is told in a best seller, "Heaven is for Real," and a movie of the same name. His Dad Todd is a Wesleyan pastor in Imperial, Nebraska. During his NDE, little Colton offers these awesome verifications:
(1) He meets his unborn sister who runs up to him, hugging him and telling him that she died in her Mommy's tummy." He had never been told about this miscarriage.
(2) He meets his great grandfather "Pop," whom he has never met and relates experiences about Pop's activities with a very young Todd that Colton has ever been told. Later, Colton can't recognize Pop from a photo of him as an elderly man, but immediately recognizes him from a photo of him as a young man. As Colton puts it, "Everyone is young in heaven."
(3) Despite his unconscious state in the operating room, little Colton is later able to describe how his Mom and Dad were in separate rooms and his Dad was yelling at God.

Watch this YouTube interview by Pat Boone:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...0DB6FF7EE08F315A4C510DB6FF7EE08F3&FORM=VRDGAR

(6b) At age 5, Annabel Beam had 2 serious and incurably debilitating digestive an intestinal disorders. Modern medicine could not cure her. Then she falls 30 feet into the trunk of a dead tree and hits her head on the bottom. everyone fears that the fall killed her, but instead, she has an NDE during which God assures her she will be completely healed, and she is! The first movie about the Burpos, "Heaven Is for Real," is good, but the 2nd movie about the Beals, "Miracles from Heaven" is considered by some Christians I know the best Christian movie ever. People were weeping in the theatre when I watched it. Check out this interview of the Beals:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7104C876BB13B6D114DF7104C876BB13B6D&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
(7) POPE ENDORSES EVP RESEARCH ON COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE DEAD

On Sept. 27, 1952, 2 Italian priests, Fathers Ernetti and Gemelli (a medical doctor) were in the Experimental Physics Lab at the Catholic University of Milan, investigating ways of filtering the taped sound of Gregorian Chants in order to enhance their accoustic purity. Prior to the invention of magnetic tape, tape recorder wires often broke and required painstaking repair. Exasperated by such breakages, Father Gemelli, as was his habit, impulsively called on his deceased Dad for help. When he restarted the machine, he heard not the expected Gregorian Chant, but his deceased Dad's voice: "Of course, I'll help you! I am always with you."

Pope Pius XII interviewed the 2 priests about this deceased Dad's communication and exclaimed that the use of electronic devices to capture the voices of the dead might initiate "a new scientific study for confirming faith in the afterlife."
Source: David Fontana, "Is There an Afterlife: A Comprehensive Overview of the Evidence," p. 365

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
(8) A female member of the church I most recently pastored shared this ADC with me. She was awakened from a deep sleep and saw her recently deceased sister, glowing brightly in the dark. For several minutes, her sister professed her love and assured her that she was alive and thriving on the other side. I wish I had pressed her for more specifics of that conversation.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
(9A) The sizeable number of NDEs from other cultures is relevant here. For example, Doctors Osis and Haraldsson's book, "At the Hour of Death" documents 500 mostly Hindu Indian NDEs and compares them with 500 Western cases. The standard NDE elements in Western NDEs were typically present in the Indian cases, despite the fact that these elements would not be expected from Hindu teaching. One interesting feature of their experience is this: when a spirit guide told Indian NDErs that their time was up, they soon died, even when their medical prognosis was positive. Conversely, when their spirit guide told them, they had not yet accomplished their purpose on earth, they lived, even when their diagnosis was terminal.

(9B) Encounters with Christian spiritual figures are commonplace in western NDEs. But interestingly, I know of no report where a Muslim NDEr claimed to encounter Muhammad.
In her book, "The Wisdom of Near-Death Experiences," Dr. Penny Sartori discusses NDEs in many nonwestern cultures.
Dr. Sartori recounts the NDE of the wife of a Chinese Confucian scholar, who was declared dead and dressed in funeral clothes. But she unexpectedly revived and they found her dressed in her street clothes. She shared a very Christian NDE to astounded audiences, though she had heard only 2 lectures on Christianity. An angel had told her she must return on the 12th of the month. So on that day, she dressed in her funeral clothes and died just as predicted! Swedenborg also foreknew that exact day of his death; and my Dad's friend Helmut always said he would die on his 90th birthday. He did!

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am pretty firm on the 66 Books of the Bible only as being scripture, so I would not have read the apocrypha or the gnostic texts.

It is possible to read a book other than the bible, you know. If you are a careful student of religion, you should read the apocrypha just to know what people are talking about.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Basic Views:

Saints in Heaven Cheering us on,

Hebrews 12:1-3The Message (MSG)

12 1-3 Do you see what this means—all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we’d better get on with it. Strip down, start running—and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he’s there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!

Rev 6
9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Jesus parable in Luke has the Rich Man alive in the grave.

Isaiah 14:9-16King James Version (KJV)
9 Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.

10 All they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? art thou become like unto us?

11 Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee.

12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;

The other basic view,

Ecclesiastes 9:6
Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Over a century ago, long before modern interest in NDEs, a woman in China experienced this NDE whle apparently being dead for a few hours. Her NDE is recorded in Dr. Penny Sartori's book, "The Wisdom of Near Death Experiences," pp. 75-76.

Mrs. Jang was the Chinese wife of a Confucian scholar. She had attended just 2 lessons on Christianity and had accepted Christ, but knew very little about her newfound faith.
"Following a long illness, she apparently died. Her body was prepared for the funeral, but a few hours later her family heard a noise coming from her room. They found her sitting up in bed and she had removed her funeral clothes and was in her usual clothes.

She reported walking with Jesus to gates of pearl which were opened by angels to let them in. She saw beautifully colored houses and walked with Jesus along golden streets. She saw thousands of angels encircling a throne on which the Heavenly Father sat and He told her that she may go back for a while, but must return on the twelfth of the month. A few days passed and on the twelfth of the month, she dressed in her funeral clothes, lay down and died."

She was too new to the faith to have learned this biblical imagery of Heaven. But before she died, she shared her experience with many people who traveled far to hear her testimony.

Interestingly, Mrs. Wang's knowledge of the exact day of her death finds several parallels. For example, Emanuel Swedenborg told Methodist founder, John Wesley, that he had to cancel their meeting when Wesley returned to England from America because he knew he exact date of his death and would be dead before Wesley's return. Swedenborg was right. My Dad's friend Helmut always knew he would die on his 90th birthday--and he did!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is possible to read a book other than the bible, you know. If you are a careful student of religion, you should read the apocrypha just to know what people are talking about.
Right. To know what they say is different than believing they are part of the 66 canon books of the Bible. i agree.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Over a century ago, long before modern interest in NDEs, a woman in China experienced this NDE whle apparently being dead for a few hours. Her NDE is recorded in Dr. Penny Sartori's book, "The Wisdom of Near Death Experiences," pp. 75-76.

Mrs. Jang was the Chinese wife of a Confucian scholar. She had attended just 2 lessons on Christianity and had accepted Christ, but knew very little about her newfound faith.
"Following a long illness, she apparently died. Her body was prepared for the funeral, but a few hours later her family heard a noise coming from her room. They found her sitting up in bed and she had removed her funeral clothes and was in her usual clothes.

She reported walking with Jesus to gates of pearl which were opened by angels to let them in. She saw beautifully colored houses and walked with Jesus along golden streets. She saw thousands of angels encircling a throne on which the Heavenly Father sat and He told her that she may go back for a while, but must return on the twelfth of the month. A few days passed and on the twelfth of the month, she dressed in her funeral clothes, lay down and died."

She was too new to the faith to have learned this biblical imagery of Heaven. But before she died, she shared her experience with many people who traveled far to hear her testimony.

Interestingly, Mrs. Wang's knowledge of the exact day of her death finds several parallels. For example, Emanuel Swedenborg told Methodist founder, John Wesley, that he had to cancel their meeting when Wesley returned to England from America because he knew he exact date of his death and would be dead before Wesley's return. Swedenborg was right. My Dad's friend Helmut always knew he would die on his 90th birthday--and he did!
This is a bad path to walk down brother. I did it myself 15 or so years ago. The problem is that if God wanted us to know these things He would have told us. Like dreams, I'm not sure that we can ever really understand what these people learned or why they were brought back.

Where is your source for these things? Links?

Upvote 0

Angel Wings 1288

Feb 3, 2017
TX
✟29,884.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
After reading the accounts of many near-death experiences (NDEs), I've come to the conclusion that the writers are fabricating their testimonies, namely because practically every NDE is unique and not consistent with what the Bible teaches about the afterlife. After we die, we awaken in our new heavenly bodies, which our souls coexist with, then we become citizens of heaven. None of the NDE testimonies that I've read say this or anything like it.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mod-hat-jpg.188216

Mod Hat ON

This thread has been moved to Controversial Christian Theology. Please feel free to continue the discussion here.

Mod Hat OFF

Upvote 0