St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Really? Do you have any evidence for this claim? The evidence I have seen - and I posted some of it - suggests the USA is down the list a fair bit.
It will be down even farther when the Christian right gets through with it.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you speculating? Even though it might seem obvious to you, there are reasons to be skeptical of your claim. For one, I suggest it takes a lot more courage and determination to kill someone with a knife.
Really? Do you really think that people in America kill because they have a gun? Do you think that people buy guns and take them home thinking "Gee, I can't wait to try this thing out on some guys head."? Do you really think that if you take a gun out of the hands of a murderer they will magically change their ways? Of course not. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And people kill people for various reasons and merely owning a gun is not one of them. The highest levels of gun violence are in cities with the toughest gun laws. Honestly, I think the number one cause of murder in the United States is because the moral depravity created by failed progressive policies. But I am not blaming the progressives. I am blaming the Church and the Christian men and women who have sat idle and made compromises to biblical moral values for the sake of "tolerance" and "acceptance" and allowed this depravity to fester.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
But the problem isn't guns.

The same could be said for drugs.
No-one SEEKS to become addicted to drugs, whether it be a 17 year-old young man from Detroit or a Kansas gramma, but it “happens”.
Still, you can’t buy OxyContin over-the-counter, as there are regulations on who should be able to have access to such.
Guns are only good for one thing:
Launching small bits of metal, very, very quickly.

Sounds like something you’d want to keep out of the hands of folks who might misuse these?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Really? Do you have any evidence for this claim? The evidence I have seen - and I posted some of it - suggests the USA is down the list a fair bit.
All you have to do is ask any immigrant in the United States who became a naturalized citizen and you will hear multiple reasons why America is the greatest country on earth.

• Agree
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Really? Do you really think that people in America kill because they have a gun? Do you think that people buy guns and take them home thinking "Gee, I can't wait to try this thing out on some guys head."? Do you really think that if you take a gun out of the hands of a murderer they will magically change their ways? Of course not. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And people kill people for various reasons and merely owning a gun is not one of them. The highest levels of gun violence are in cities with the toughest gun laws. Honestly, I think the number one cause of murder in the United States is because the moral depravity created by failed progressive policies. But I am not blaming the progressives. I am blaming the Church and the Christian men and women who have sat idle and made compromises to biblical moral values for the sake of "tolerance" and "acceptance" and allowed this depravity to fester.
Again, where is the evidence that taking away guns will not substantially reduce killing?

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All you have to do is ask any immigrant in the United States who became a naturalized citizen and you will hear multiple reasons why America is the greatest country on earth.
How do you that immigrants to other countries will not speak in equally, if not more glowing terms?

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But America still incarcerates more people per capita than China. So we got that goin' for us!

That's because China executes them.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No-one SEEKS to become addicted to drugs, whether it be a 17 year-old young man from Detroit or a Kansas gramma, but it “happens”.
Still, you can’t buy OxyContin over-the-counter, as there are regulations on who should be able to have access to such.
Guns are only good for one thing:
Launching small bits of metal, very, very quickly.

Sounds like something you’d want to keep out of the hands of folks who might misuse these?
Then, based on your argument, one of the problems to the homicide rates is drugs, not guns. Drug addiction is one of the many reasons why people turn to gun violence. Drug addicts murder and rob people to get their next high. Gangs use guns to battle over turf to sell drugs. Yes, drugs are a big problem and homicide is a direct result of the drug problems. Still, the problem isn't guns. You take guns away and drug addicts and gang members will just use something else to kill.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That what I said:
Why are Americans so prone to killing each other?
OB

In fairness, we are not just prone to killing each other. We're pretty fair at killing other people, too. We export it.

• Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you that immigrants to other countries will not speak in equally, if not more glowing terms?
Listen, you show me any country that you consider to be "great" and I will show you a country who was inspired, lead, or influenced by American greatness. It is because their people wanted what America already has.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If people want to kill someone, they don't need a gun to do it. Ask anyone from the UK about their knife problem. Guns are an important part of American Republic and they are not going away in my lifetime. In fact, the only reason why the United States has an Independence day and we don't have pictures of the Queen on our currency is because of guns.

When a man can kill 50+ people with a knife from a distance of over 1000 feet, you might have a point!

• Agree
Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This reeks of selection-bias.
Try asking German immigrants why they picked Deutschland.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

These types of drugs have been illegal (except by prescription) since 1904...

And we all know how well that's working, don't we?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Listen, you show me any country that you consider to be "great" and I will show you a country who was inspired, lead, or influenced by American greatness. It is because their people wanted what America already has.
You made the claim about the USA being the greatest; it is your responsibility- not mine - to make the case.

You are clearly evading. If you can make a case that American influence has led to improvements, by all means do so.

Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
These types of drugs have been illegal (except by prescription) since 1904...

And we all know how well that's working, don't we?
So, “drugs are bad, therefore illegal; but since we already know that guns are good therefore as little restriction as possible!”?
Good to know!

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. What about all the countries that existed before the United States did? Ethiopia has existed in one form or another within its current borders since the 10th century Zawge Dynasty which took over after the Jewish queen Gudit destroyed the Axumite Empire around 960. Is Ethiopia, which is so much older than the USA, indebted to the United States somehow for its historical successes, most of which happened during times when the U.S. didn't exist? The first imperial unification of China dates back to 221 BC. What exactly would that have had to do with the USA? The roots of most of the modern nation states of Europe date back to long before 1776, with the formation of the Kingdom of Hungary by King Stephen I dating back to 1000 AD, and the Icelandic Commonwealth having first met in their delightfully-named Althingi (parliament) in 930 AD, to choose but two of several possible examples.

Again, where does the USA fit into this?

I love the United States and consider myself very lucky to live in it, but geez...it's not the center of the dang universe or anything! :eek:

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, “drugs are bad, therefore illegal; but since we already know that guns are good therefore as little restriction as possible!”?
Good to know!

I didn't say that. You're putting words into my mouth.

Drugs and guns both have good and bad properties. My point is that depending on "controlling" them is inadequate. Where there is demand, there will be a supply.

We should have learned that from Prohibition.

Upvote 0