United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No one knows when Jesus will return.
We've had world wars, civil wars, plagues, earthquakes for centuries, with some people saying "these are end times". He still hasn't returned.

But you don't know that.

You may live till you're 88.

I get that you are genuinely worried that Jesus will return in the next couple of years, before you've had a family/travelled/got an awesome job or whatever.
But:
a) the people saying that the end is near don't know. Jesus says in Revelation "I am coming soon"; that was 2000 years ago. Everyone who has predicted the day of his return has so far been wrong.
b) it seems that if Jesus returned you'd be more upset about a possible unfulfilled life on earth than the joy of seeing, and being with, the One who made us. Personally I think we would all forget our earthly lives in an instant if we saw him. As the song says "and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of his glory and grace."
c) We are told to live for the day and not worry about tomorrow; are you missing out on things today because you are worried that it might not last? You might fall under a bus tomorrow; nothing is guaranteed.
I don't actually like how you put it that I'm "afraid" of Jesus returning. That still makes me feel awful.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,048,570.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't actually like how you put it that I'm "afraid" of Jesus returning. That still makes me feel awful.

I don't think I used the word "afraid."
But I meant that you seem to be worried that he might return before you've been able to do certain things, and therefore you will miss out.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think I used the word "afraid."
But I meant that you seem to be worried that he might return before you've been able to do certain things, and therefore you will miss out.
Yeah.
I also wish there could just be a revival instead.
I know there is a lot of relative bad chaos happening in the world today, which is part of it.
It seems most "Christians" tend to have a pessimistic view of the future of human history.
I also have that feeling I was born too late.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,048,570.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah.
I also wish there could just be a revival instead.
I know there is a lot of relative bad chaos happening in the world today, which is part of it.
It seems most "Christians" tend to have a pessimistic view of the future of human history.
I also have that feeling I was born too late.

It may be.
But bad stuff has been happening in the world for years - earthquakes, fire, bombs, illness. People have also always made claims that Jesus is "about to return".
He hasn't yet and we don't know when he will.

Upvote 0